Author Topic: EverDrive N8 PRO has been released!  (Read 21491 times)

Offline zanth

• View Profile
Re: EverDrive N8 PRO has been released!
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2019, 05:19 AM »

No idea what that number is, the checksum of the file is A118214F.
It matches the file name "Link no Bouken - The Legend of Zelda 2 (Japan) (Rev 1)" from the FDS GoodSet collection.

Still can't find rom with such checksum. Would be cool if you can share yours

Absolutely, how should I go about that?

Got your file. Problem related to bad file. There is 16 extra bytes in the end of disk image,  removed them and auto swap working fine now.

That's interesting. Wonder what happened to it? I copied it from my backups onto the SD card and it works fine. Thank you for checking into it!

Offline evilsim_

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2019, 09:01 AM »
Hello Krikzz - when I use my new N8 Pro on either a Famicom or a Famicom AV, using the controller port on the Famicom (DB15 type, same as neo-geo controller) I cannot use the menu of the N8 PRO with an external controller. I tried 3 different types of external famicom controller, including a Famicom-to-NES controller adapter. None of them let me control the N8 pro menu.

As soon as I go into a game, the external controller will work fine.

Please fix :) thanks

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2019, 03:51 PM »
Hello Krikzz - when I use my new N8 Pro on either a Famicom or a Famicom AV, using the controller port on the Famicom (DB15 type, same as neo-geo controller) I cannot use the menu of the N8 PRO with an external controller. I tried 3 different types of external famicom controller, including a Famicom-to-NES controller adapter. None of them let me control the N8 pro menu.

As soon as I go into a game, the external controller will work fine.

Please fix :) thanks

I reported this yesterday. KRIKzz replied saying he will fix it. Hopefully that update will come out soon.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2019, 04:50 PM »
1. Have no idea what is in could be. Also i not sure if it something what should be fixed on everdrive side or may be on NESRGB side.

Here is a video showing what it looks like:

https://youtu.be/gzkxLXF9maY

I don't think it's only on Everdrive side, since it can also happen when using an FDSStick. But it never happens with official cartridges, so these homebrew devices must be doing something different that causes this interference when used with NESRGB. Hopefully some day we can find a full solution.

And regarding bad disk images, the GoodSet should be avoided for FDS. I remember having to remove extra bytes from them a long time ago as well. Better use the Redump images.
The FDSStick is used with an official cartridge though. Try having only a single FDS image on the FDSStick, that way it will bypass the boot menu and load the image directly instead like a real disk drive does.

The Goodset should be avoided for any system. No-intro is usually good, but for FDS it has many bad dumps.

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2019, 01:02 AM »
@nuu: I didn't know about only having one FDS image. It's kind of annoying to edit the contents of the stick though, so I probably won't try. It usually only takes a couple of power cycles to clear it. I guess there's something about the N8 and the FDSStick, maybe something about the way they boot, or how they load data on boot, that causes this problem to occur randomly when using NESRGB. If anyone has any clues or experience on fixing this, please let us know.

And yeah I meant the No-Intro set when I said Redump. I've never had problems with that set's images, but I also haven't tested a large portion of them.

@KRIKzz: Not sure if possible, but a great feature for the N8 now would be to have a setting for instantly loading a ROM or FDS image on boot, completely bypassing the menu, like that special OS released for OG N8 a while ago. This would both address 1) speedrunning needs for runs that require specific memory stuff from boot for RNG manipulation, and 2) it may also be a way to bypass the random video noise problem mentioned above with NESRGB (again, see for example: https://youtu.be/gzkxLXF9maY). And since now we have an in-game menu, we could always go to it to exit the game and turn off the instant-load setting or set a different game for instant-loading easily! Or if not, maybe a way to edit a settings text file in the SD card to change the file path/ROM to insta-load.

Would the above feature be possible to implement?

« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 01:06 AM by fernan1234 »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2019, 01:05 AM »
And since now we have an in-game menu, we could always go to it to exit the game and turn off the instant-load setting or set a different game for instant-loading easily!
Would the above feature be possible to implement?

I will put this thing in my work list for N8-PRO

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2019, 01:07 AM »

Awesome! Best dev in the business!;D I really think it'll be a feature that many will appreciate and get a PRO for.

Offline Zoomer

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2019, 05:31 PM »
I see no way of purchasing it either in Russia or Ukraine (or am I blind?). It's not available on stuffpoint.ru yet either. Will it ever be? If so, what's the ETA?

Offline Burt_Lancaster

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2019, 06:25 PM »
1. Have no idea what is in could be. Also i not sure if it something what should be fixed on everdrive side or may be on NESRGB side.

Here is a video showing what it looks like:

https://youtu.be/gzkxLXF9maY

I don't think it's only on Everdrive side, since it can also happen when using an FDSStick. But it never happens with official cartridges, so these homebrew devices must be doing something different that causes this interference when used with NESRGB. Hopefully some day we can find a full solution.

And regarding bad disk images, the GoodSet should be avoided for FDS. I remember having to remove extra bytes from them a long time ago as well. Better use the Redump images.

For everyone's reference this happens to my NTSC USA top loader modded with RGB NES. After removing the said transistor and making some adjustments, this sync interference has been severely minimized, but still happens some times.

https://youtu.be/-47PL0RbDNU

My YT channel contains more examples. And it only happens with the N8 everdrive. I even tried a 168 in 1 pirate cartridge and works flawlessly...

« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 06:48 PM by Burt_Lancaster »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2019, 08:04 PM »
I ordered RGB kit to check if something can be done on my side.
I wonder how RGB mod working with complex carts, like something based on MMC5 and using split mode features.  May be RGB board latches ppu data to late or something, old memory chips reacts much slower on changes at ppu bus than modern fast memory.
But if it happens with FDS then problem likely related to RGB board itself. By the way, FDS uses RAM for graphics data, and this RAM likely faster than regular ROM chips in majority of regular carts.

Offline biggyboy

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2019, 03:34 PM »

Awesome! Best dev in the business!;D I really think it'll be a feature that many will appreciate and get a PRO for.

I just got my PRO and I wish you could do this. I would love to be able to Quick Load while in STD mode, having to go into the menu every time to load a save state while practicing as a speedrunner gets tedious. The N8PRO is a great product but the original EverDrive N8 has a more convenient save state system for speedrun practice right now.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2019, 04:50 PM »

The N8PRO is a great product but the original EverDrive N8 has a more convenient save state system for speedrun practice right now.

What advantages of OG-N8 save state system over PRO in QSS mode?

Offline raverrevolution

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2019, 08:22 PM »
I ordered RGB kit to check if something can be done on my side.
I wonder how RGB mod working with complex carts, like something based on MMC5 and using split mode features.  May be RGB board latches ppu data to late or something, old memory chips reacts much slower on changes at ppu bus than modern fast memory.
But if it happens with FDS then problem likely related to RGB board itself. By the way, FDS uses RAM for graphics data, and this RAM likely faster than regular ROM chips in majority of regular carts.

Just a heads up, when Kevin Horton (Kevtris) worked on the Hi Def NES he found a bug in the PPU causing this.  This is why the kit's UI contains a despeckle option.  Those are the speckles.

Offline Link83

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2019, 11:11 PM »
Just a heads up, when Kevin Horton (Kevtris) worked on the Hi Def NES he found a bug in the PPU causing this.  This is why the kit's UI contains a despeckle option.  Those are the speckles.
Wow thats really interesting! From googling and reading more about it, even the 4 phase options offered by the Hi-Def NES doesn't fix the issue for all games.

It seems the only true way to fix it is to either use a NES/Famicom with a late Rev.H PPU, or by patching the games themselves:-
https://www.reddit.com/r/nes/comments/7tirw1/hdmi_modded_nes_noticing_some_artifacts_on_games/dtdqvbs/
I wonder if its possible the EverDrive N8 could include a system wide patching option to disable writes to PPU register $2000?

<EDIT>Thinking about it some more i'm not sure if the NESRGB operates in the exact same way as the Hi-Def NES, since AFAIK the Hi-Def NES has to change the CPU/PPU timing in order to be 60Hz compliant for HDMI, but since the NESRGB is 'analog only' it doesn't have the same strict timing requirements.

I wonder what amperage power supply people with this issue are using? I would guess that combining a NESRGB with an EDN8 PRO might use considerably more power than the stock Nintendo power supply is designed to provide. Perhaps using an uprated 9V 2amp or higher PSU (With correct polarity) might help? Or perhaps its the consoles stock internal 7805 regulator thats struggling?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 12:35 AM by Link83 »

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2019, 05:16 AM »

I've only experienced this NESRGB issue with FDS(Stick)/N8/N8 Pro. The NESRGB "decides" randomly if the problem occurs or not on power up/after a power cycle. After that, loading any game or doing a soft reset does not make any difference either way. So I don't think patching games would be a solution, but a system-wide patch may work.