Author Topic: Super Everdrive X5 - Glitches with Assault Suit Valken  (Read 2772 times)

Offline Ybaresan

• View Profile
Super Everdrive X5 - Glitches with Assault Suit Valken
« on: December 14, 2019, 10:47 AM »
Hello everyone,

I created this topic to indicate glitches with the Super Everdrive 5X on the game Assault Suit Valken. Here is a video of the problem:

https://youtu.be/MlAPnS8QWbI

White lines appear at the top right during the introduction. Big glitch during the presentation of the level. No glitch detected during the game.

OS version used: 1.01

These glitch have been observed on two different consoles: a switched Super Nintendo PAL and a Super Nintendo US. Two SD cards were used, with the same result. These glitches also appear with the US version of the game.

This bug obviously does not appear with the original version of the game on the same hardware, nor with another flash card ( Super UFO Pro 8 )

Any idea to solve this problem? OS bug? Everdrive card bug?

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Re: Super Everdrive X5 - Glitches with Assault Suit Valken
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2019, 07:26 PM »
The game is really buggy eventhough it has been a few months since I played it both on my GBA and actual SNES it has a habit of having that white line in the top screen of the intro nearly throughout the entire game on my CRT output. It also has a really weird glitch line in the profile screen when action kicks in most likely due to the layer of the profile avitar on the bottom left interacting with the explosions causing a rip in the bottom screen this also happens in the trainer of the English game Cybernator using the Beta version which retained the profile cards including a stage select to reach the deleted area cutscene.

The only thing which I don't recall is that flickering in the mission log.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 04:38 PM by Richardragon87 »
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline Ybaresan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 03:43 PM »
Indeed, the game is slightly buggy with the translation. But I insist on the fact that the original version does not contain those glitches.

My question is : are there other bugs with other games with the Super Everdrive X5 ?

Offline Ybaresan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 10:41 AM »
I just tried with version 1.00 of the OS, same result.

Krikzz, any idea?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2019, 12:03 AM »
I just tried with version 1.00 of the OS, same result.

Krikzz, any idea?

Problem fixed: http://krikzz.com/pub/support/super-everdrive/x-series/OS/SNESOS-v1.02.zip

Offline Ybaresan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 03:09 PM »
Thank you for your answer.

Despite the new version of the OS (version 1.02), there is still a bug, very minimal, but which does not appear in the original version or on other flashcards ( like that of Tototek or SuperUFO Pro 8 ) which is a flashing of pixels at the top right of the screen.

I would make a video and post it on YouTube.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2020, 03:20 PM »
Thank you for your answer.

Despite the new version of the OS (version 1.02), there is still a bug, very minimal, but which does not appear in the original version or on other flashcards ( like that of Tototek or SuperUFO Pro 8 ) which is a flashing of pixels at the top right of the screen.

I would make a video and post it on YouTube.

That bug you mean depends on what device is used. As my SNES for example is Native PAL it is letter boxes so you will see defections in the game while on NTSC these are hardly noticeable. I compared my original Krikzz 1st version SED plus the SED V2 and the two SD2SNES variants plus my Juusou Kihei Valken original cart adding it to my Super FX Pro converter with a PAL cart in one slot and a Japan cart in the other and it has the same issues. This means the glitches outside the profile data screen.

This also happens on some great battle series where you will see a VHS type line in the lower screen and sometimes on the top.

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline Ybaresan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 05:19 PM »
Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/n2Oeu436vcg

I would like to point out that I am a big fan of Krikzz's products (I have several cartridges and am perfectly satisfied with it), I'm not trying to discredit the work of Krikzz. This very small bug can possibly have repercussions on other games, that's why I insist on this subject.

That bug you mean depends on what device is used. As my SNES for example is Native PAL it is letter boxes so you will see defections in the game while on NTSC these are hardly noticeable. I compared my original Krikzz 1st version SED plus the SED V2 and the two SD2SNES variants plus my Juusou Kihei Valken original cart adding it to my Super FX Pro converter with a PAL cart in one slot and a Japan cart in the other and it has the same issues. This means the glitches outside the profile data screen.

This also happens on some great battle series where you will see a VHS type line in the lower screen and sometimes on the top.

It's true but in this case, I use the same SNES for this test. This little bug is not is not reproducible neither in emulation, nor with the original cartridge on the same SNES.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 05:32 PM by Ybaresan »

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 08:03 PM »
Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/n2Oeu436vcg

I would like to point out that I am a big fan of Krikzz's products (I have several cartridges and am perfectly satisfied with it), I'm not trying to discredit the work of Krikzz. This very small bug can possibly have repercussions on other games, that's why I insist on this subject.

It's true but in this case, I use the same SNES for this test. This little bug is not is not reproducible neither in emulation, nor with the original cartridge on the same SNES.

Technically your little dot in the top right corner is a lot less noticeable than the issues I have where that dot is instead a cut out along the line kind of line in the far top right corner. As said their are things that you wont see on the NTSC console as the cut off area of how the game runs is well hidden even more so on those old CRT TV's that smoothed the edges off... emulation tends to polish this up and fix any issues but usually on real hardware you'll notice these little blips of how the game actually runs though normally the developers would make these absent unless its running on a device that alters the native resolution ala PAL.

Post changed:

Offline Ybaresan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 01:11 PM »
In fact, this little bug appears on a PAL console switched to 60 Hz and also on an NTSC console.  :-\

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 11:21 PM »
In fact, this little bug appears on a PAL console switched to 60 Hz and also on an NTSC console.  :-\

Well the screen is 16:9 resolution to how the PAL screen runs those games so it's guaranteed it would be noticed. I am more bothered but the awkward black line that goes down the screen in the far left or right corner such as the pan and scan of the way the screen ration shows my games... its like looking into a letter box all the way though I guess if it was acceptable at this day of age now that everything is widescreen it would be hardly a problem... still though I hate how 50HZ/60HZ was a thing on outputs due to different voltage limits.

Due to the fact my converter is pretty much using the same utilities as the SED series just adding a PAL game in the back to make the Japan one work on my non modified SNES their is no way to change the screen to 60HZ even when the everdrive has it on the SD2SNES in the options my screen never changes from Widescreen for any game and looks worse when on a Super Gameboy and as my screen settings are set to Fill All this isn't the issue either.

Post changed:

Offline Ybaresan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 10:20 PM »
I did not make myself clear.

This bug also appears on an NTSC in full screen. I recorded directly from my SuperNES Pal in 60 Hz, but it's exactly the same on an NTSC console on an NTSC television.

So, on my Super Nes US with an NTSC TV, this small blinking point appears.

With the same NTSC console and the same NTSC television and with a Super UFO, it does not appear.

With the same NTSC console and the same NTSC television and with the original game, it does not appear.

In emulation, it does not appear.

It's not a bug due to the resolution or the type of the console, it is a bug of the Everdrive or Everdrive OS.

If Krikkz can look at that, it could possibly fix other bugs that we haven't seen or seen yet.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2020, 08:01 AM »
I did not make myself clear.

This bug also appears on an NTSC in full screen. I recorded directly from my SuperNES Pal in 60 Hz, but it's exactly the same on an NTSC console on an NTSC television.

So, on my Super Nes US with an NTSC TV, this small blinking point appears.

With the same NTSC console and the same NTSC television and with a Super UFO, it does not appear.

With the same NTSC console and the same NTSC television and with the original game, it does not appear.

In emulation, it does not appear.

It's not a bug due to the resolution or the type of the console, it is a bug of the Everdrive or Everdrive OS.

If Krikkz can look at that, it could possibly fix other bugs that we haven't seen or seen yet.

What's odd is you said the Super UFO corrected this issue.... then again it likely is running some kind of better hardware that fixes this odd blips and bloops of game errors... then again I never noticed this on SNESAdvance either as it usually shows a lot more detail of stuff that cannot be seen on real hardware and there is no issues of that error in it either.

Post changed:

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2020, 06:56 PM »
Those blinking pixel isn't something related to everdrive. Seems like this game isn't fully initialize hardware and as result it depends on random values which is stored in memory/registers. Pixel appear with one console and seems never shown with another. Behavior may change from reset to reset. And behavior is the SAME for sd2snes and x5, hard to believe that same bug can be in two independ projects. Likely pixel will appear even with original cart if you will try it many times with various snes units.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2020, 10:53 PM »
In that case it might be roughly fixable by adding an option to randomize RAM before booting a game.