Author Topic: Numerous errors with N8 Pro Fami on AVS [SOLVED by updating to latest firmware!]  (Read 1673 times)

Offline ishotjr

• View Profile
Re: N8 Pro Coin Cell DOA? (and other problems)
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 12:54 AM »
Thanks! I'll give it a try with different firmware.  :)

Offline ishotjr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 05:05 PM »
OK, so I fixed it, but I don't really understand how. The reason I asked about the ability to "reset" is that I'd experienced something strange in my prior experiments: it seemed like the cart "held on" to old errors/like it had to "clear" them all before reflecting the "true" status. I had tried, for example, removing the mSD card to see what would happen, and the initial answer would be "nothing" until 4-5 resets later when it would finally recognize there was no mSD card. So before I starting messing w/ the AVS firmware, I tried one last mSD card (SanDisk 32GB), and as always, I got ERROR 40.  But based on my prior experience, I didn't "believe" that was the current status - so I hit reset a few times, and finally got the "settings lost" warning. Now, here is where it got really strange: it was almost like the reset button was "unlocking" a frozen cart - or - like...advancing the 6502 PC or something: I was able to get from "settings lost" to the main file listing menu, but it was unresponsive, until I hit reset a few more times, then it finally recognized controller input, but I would for example press down in the menu and nothing would happen, but if I hit reset, it would show the result of that input (the next menu item selected) - and then the same for paging though files, loading, etc. - it would require a reset between each. I got a few more errors during this, some file not founds etc. (the same files worked fine later) - and after...dozens of resets, it finally began to "stabilize" - things just began to work as expected. And it's been working since, with no errors or resets. Soooooooooooooooo weird. Any idea what I just experienced/why!?  :o

PS, are there instructions for the NSF player anywhere? How do I add different tracks? And, can my AVS+N8 Pro Fami combo play expansion audio?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 01:13 AM »
Sounds very weird, i have nothing to say here.
You can just hit on nsf file in menu and it will start play immediately. AVS supports expansion audio. Use "NES 47K Mod" audio balancing preset for AVS

Offline ishotjr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 01:26 AM »
Cool - thanks as always for the quick, detailed response! :)

Offline ishotjr

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2020, 02:17 AM »
Argggggggggggg just turned my AVS/EverDrive on for the first time since last night's success, and was able to repro the experience exactly - continual ERROR 40 until several dozen resets later when it started to work partially but still with continual errors and resets required. I've taken a video which I'll post shortly. But at this point I would like a replacement please - how to proceed? I do not expect to pay shipping since I paid for a brand new, working device, and the one that you produced was defective from the beginning. Hopefully you agree that this is fair. :)

Offline ishotjr

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2020, 02:25 AM »
I meant to include: this is with the same power supply, SD card, TV, controller - everything - as last night. And during diags today I got error 40 and 03 for SD and RTC respectively, and even an error 40 during diags one time, and mapper errors from the OS/menu app itself.  :'(

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2020, 02:39 AM »
Argggggggggggg just turned my AVS/EverDrive on for the first time since last night's success, and was able to repro the experience exactly - continual ERROR 40 until several dozen resets later when it started to work partially but still with continual errors and resets required. I've taken a video which I'll post shortly. But at this point I would like a replacement please - how to proceed? I do not expect to pay shipping since I paid for a brand new, working device, and the one that you produced was defective from the beginning. Hopefully you agree that this is fair. :)

You should use "contact us" form for submit your request. But keep in mind that until you test it with another system there is still high possibility that with cart everything fine, and problem in console,  because we tests them all twice, one time after assembling and one time before shipping. You may just waste the time. From my experience 70-80% of carts which comes for replacement/repairment actually working just fine.

Diagnostics over usb always pass with success or it may throw errors also?

Offline ishotjr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2020, 02:42 AM »
Here's the video - hopefully you can see when the controller is unresponsive and the screen flashes corresponding to resets in order to advance.

https://youtu.be/4Jb_B-jEFFo

Offline ishotjr

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2020, 02:44 AM »
\But keep in mind that until you test it with another system there is still high possibility that with cart everything fine, and problem in console,  because we tests them all twice, one time after assembling and one time before shipping. You may just waste the time. From my experience 70-80% of carts which comes for replacement/repairment actually working just fine.

OK, this is helpful info, thank you; I don't have a Famicom, but I have a NES, and I purchased your cart adapter, but it doesn't seem to fit - if I break off the tabs so that it does, should the adapter+N8 Pro Fami work in my NES?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2020, 02:58 AM »
\But keep in mind that until you test it with another system there is still high possibility that with cart everything fine, and problem in console,  because we tests them all twice, one time after assembling and one time before shipping. You may just waste the time. From my experience 70-80% of carts which comes for replacement/repairment actually working just fine.

OK, this is helpful info, thank you; I don't have a Famicom, but I have a NES, and I purchased your cart adapter, but it doesn't seem to fit - if I break off the tabs so that it does, should the adapter+N8 Pro Fami work in my NES?

It should work

Offline ishotjr

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2020, 05:45 AM »
After the initial reset-fest, it worked fairly reliably (a few occasional errors) for several hours after. Is there anything that would explain this eventual "stabilization"?

Did you get a chance to review my video? Did that provide any insight into what I'm experiencing?

Offline Link83

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2020, 12:56 PM »
It might be failing capacitors inside the console or the power supply? Bad capacitors can cause all sorts of random issues like you describe. The only way to rule it out would be to test the N8 using another console and power supply.

<EDIT> Ignore the above - for some reason I thought you were using an original Famicom console, but re-reading the OP I now see you are using an AVS.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 03:35 PM by Link83 »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2020, 02:18 PM »
After the initial reset-fest, it worked fairly reliably (a few occasional errors) for several hours after. Is there anything that would explain this eventual "stabilization"?

Did you get a chance to review my video? Did that provide any insight into what I'm experiencing?

I seen the video, but i still have no any ideas what it could be. If problem on cart side, then it could be some soldering defects which was hidden for a while but then shown himself, if problem on console side then i even can't give any diagnosis.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2020, 02:49 PM »
I looked on AVS closer and console for sure has problem with powering circuit. Seems like AVS uses voltage boost converter for powering cartridge and this thing pulls down voltage at input 5V rail drastically. For internal components powering AVS uses LDO which is powered from input 5v rail. Without any external loading input 5v rail drops to 4v, with cartridge it drops even more to 3.5v. Near to this point 3.3V LDO stops operate properly and drops at internal 3.3v may appear. But worst begins when cartridge begin reads SD, extra loads produced by SD card makes internal 3.3v rail jumping  like crazy. Various USB adapters from 1-3A does not make any differences, but short powering USB cable with thick wires seems can solve the problem. I don't have information about used in AVS boost converter and required condition for proper operating or why they used this thing at all for converting 5v to 5v, but i think retroUSB should revise AVS power supply circuit. Digital circuits can't work stable in such conditions.

As suggestion for solving the problem i can offer to try:
1) Try various USB cables, better if it will be short and with thick cord.
2) Change SD card. Some SD may draw more power than other.
3) Try to use regular controller instead of wireless ones. Wireless receivers may draw some extra power.

input 5v rail. Power off

input 5v rail. Power on without cart

input 5v rail. Power on with cart

input 5v rail. Power on with cart, but powered via short USB cable

Mess at internal 3.3v power rail

AVS operates fine with this cable
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 03:14 PM by KRIKzz »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2020, 03:06 PM »
By the way, ishotjr, i wonder if power led on your AVS blinking twice when you turn on console with everdrive? With some worst usb cables my AVS blinking twice when i turn it on. Seems like it happens due high fall on 3.3v rail during SD initialization, probably brown-out detection triggered and console reboot itself. If i do the same without SD it not happens.