Author Topic: Numerous errors with N8 Pro Fami on AVS [SOLVED by updating to latest firmware!]  (Read 3036 times)

Offline James-F

• View Profile
Re: N8 Pro Coin Cell DOA? (and other problems)
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2020, 03:25 PM »
Great explanation Krikzz.

Yep, that what you get when you use a mini/micro USB plug to power a device that needs some current AND flat 5v on load.
The big on board 3.3v LDOs (regulators) need at least 1.2-1.5v above 3.3v... so at least 4.5v under load.

I would avoid mini/micro usb for power and use a standard barrel plug,, but AVS and Analogue just loves them.   ::)
And no, a mobile phone does not need flat 5v for charging, it will charge just fine with 4v.
Mega Everdrive x5, Everdrive 64 v3, Everdrive N8, N8 Pro, SD2SNES, Joyzz.

Online KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2020, 03:55 PM »
Great explanation Krikzz.

Yep, that what you get when you use a mini/micro USB plug to power a device that needs some current AND flat 5v on load.
The big on board 3.3v LDOs (regulators) need at least 1.2-1.5v above 3.3v... so at least 4.5v under load.

I would avoid mini/micro usb for power and use a standard barrel plug,, but AVS and Analogue just loves them.   ::)
And no, a mobile phone does not need flat 5v for charging, it will charge just fine with 4v.

Not sure about peak current, but average is 350mA. I believe this all can be powered via usb with proper powering circuit.
By the way, there is no drops on cart 5v rail which outs from boost converter. I wonder if whole system can be powered from this rail, may be with some switching regulators instead of LDO to reduce consumption.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 04:41 PM by KRIKzz »

Offline ishotjr

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2020, 08:40 PM »
Thanks so much for your detailed analysis! I was able to solve the problem by updating the firmware to AVS v1.40b4.bin. When I had tried originally, the Scoreboard app didn't seem to want to recognize my AVS, so I couldn't update it, but now it's working (perhaps it was a different cable?), and the update absolutely fixes everything - I've tried it on two different power supplies/cables/TVs/controllers and everything works now. Thank you so much for your awesome support and quick responses!!!  :-*

Online KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks so much for your detailed analysis! I was able to solve the problem by updating the firmware to AVS v1.40b4.bin. When I had tried originally, the Scoreboard app didn't seem to want to recognize my AVS, so I couldn't update it, but now it's working (perhaps it was a different cable?), and the update absolutely fixes everything - I've tried it on two different power supplies/cables/TVs/controllers and everything works now. Thank you so much for your awesome support and quick responses!!!  :-*

Nice to know (: Today i tested bunch of USB cables, and seems like AVS stay stable if cable good enough. Voltage drops varies from cable to cable and only two cables makes system completely unstable. Regular carts which draws less energy working fine with any cable.

Offline ishotjr

• View Profile
Very cool! I wonder if more recent firmware somehow added something to mitigate the issue, since everything I experienced seemed to suggest instability in power supplied to the cart/SD card - until the firmware update was applied and all of those problems vanished? I was surprised to find my AVS only had 1.00 on it - I would have expected it to ship with the latest available at that time (March 2019). Anyway, thanks again for all of your help - my EverDrive is now everything I'd dreamt of and more!!!  :-*

Offline RegalCutlass

• View Profile
Just wanted to confirm that updating my AVS from v1.00 to v1.40b4 fixed the error 40 on my N8 PRO NES too. Thanks!

Offline ishotjr

• View Profile

Offline Odin Belmont

• View Profile
Glad I seen this thread I just updated my AVS firmware.  Just waiting on my N8 pro nes :)