Author Topic: (n8 non-pro w/ av famicom) graphical glitches on some games  (Read 425 times)

Offline sesq

• View Profile
The famicom & cart are both fairly new purchases, yet on certain games I can get heavy graphic glitches: the worst of it is on King Kong 2 Ikari no Megapunch, where the backgrounds will slowly fall apart into nonsense over the course of the game, but I also had issues when reaching stage 4 of TwinBee. Other games i've played for much longer include the dragon quests's, zelda, mario 1, many fds games, etc, and none of those ever had similar problems. I see they are both konami games, but they use different mappers, and many other games with the 3 mapper have worked just fine in the past. What could be going on here?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: (n8 non-pro w/ av famicom) graphical glitches on some games
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 01:11 AM »
Do the game and sound continue like normal even though the screen has garbage, or does it eventually lock up?

What roms are you using? No-intro roms are generally recommended (FDS is an exception) and goodset roms are not recommended at all.

Offline sesq

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 10:16 AM »
ive never gotten any kind of sound or game glitches or freezing, no. its just tiles being jumbled (sprites are notably fine.) i am using the no-intro set, yes. what is recommended for FDS in lieu of no intro?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2020, 01:16 PM »
The problem is PPU-related but since many games works it's probably not simply a bad PPU. I guess it could be bad VRAM chips, or something wrong with the CHR RAM in the Everdrive N8. This only happens with games when played on the Everdrive? In that case you might want to contact Krikzz and see if he thinks it's the Everdrive or your console.

I don't know what FDS disk image set is best, but the TOSEC set seems more complete than No-intro. No-intro is missing many disks and has some bad dumps or has tried to restore the disk to factory default in an incorrect way. For example, Kid Icarus gets lots of garbage on screen after the second fortress due to corrupt CHR data in the disk dump. Zelda II has incorrectly cleared data so that items are missing in the game when starting a new game. This can be fixed by creating 3 new save files in the game and then deleting them to clear them correctly.

This is from my set I had since many years back. I don't know if No-intro have fixed it by now.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 01:18 PM by nuu »

Offline sesq

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 09:40 PM »
The problem is PPU-related but since many games works it's probably not simply a bad PPU. I guess it could be bad VRAM chips, or something wrong with the CHR RAM in the Everdrive N8. This only happens with games when played on the Everdrive? In that case you might want to contact Krikzz and see if he thinks it's the Everdrive or your console.

I don't know what FDS disk image set is best, but the TOSEC set seems more complete than No-intro. No-intro is missing many disks and has some bad dumps or has tried to restore the disk to factory default in an incorrect way. For example, Kid Icarus gets lots of garbage on screen after the second fortress due to corrupt CHR data in the disk dump. Zelda II has incorrectly cleared data so that items are missing in the game when starting a new game. This can be fixed by creating 3 new save files in the game and then deleting them to clear them correctly.

This is from my set I had since many years back. I don't know if No-intro have fixed it by now.

sadly, i do not have any actual famicom games so i dont have a method of seeing if its a problem there or not. with regards to vram chips, am i wrong to assume that a more visually intensive game would generally use more vram and therefore would likely have more problems? is there i way i could possibly research and/or test for this? (or simply take apart my console and look at the chips, lol)

thanks for telling me about TOSEC - i never played either of those games especially long but i did have a problem of suishou no dragon not flipping sides automatically when it said that it would. i pray that will be resolved.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 10:50 PM »
Almost any game that scrolls probably uses all of the VRAM, so it should not be that different between games. You should contact Krikzz. If you have a friend with a NES or Famicom you could try it on their console and see if it's the Everdrive.

The side flipping problem is probably the Everdrive's fault, not the disk image's. The original N8 is not very good with FDS since it doesn't have a disk flip button. There are better alternatives for FDS anyway. Such as the FDSStick and FDSemu which both uses a real FDS RAM-adapter, so that you get fully authentic expansion sound.

Offline pr1Ru

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 08:02 AM »
Re: Famicom no-intro ROMs, I tried playing Metroid and it just froze at the beginning when some Japanese characters are displayed. Haven't had a change to load a different ROM but will try to soon.

Offline pr1Ru

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 02:02 PM »
Actually, I tried again and it worked. It just took a really long time to load, like over 10 seconds.