Author Topic: EverDrive-N8 PRO bug reports.  (Read 22428 times)

Offline Nitroxity

• View Profile
Re: EverDrive-N8 PRO bug reports.
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2021, 07:35 AM »
This really is a fringe case but one that really hampers me as this hack was one of the biggest reasons I opted for a pro as opposed to the original. My preferred English patch for FF3 is rather unorthodox as it expands the ROM size to double that of what the MMC3's max size is (from 512kb to 1mb). On the original N8 this "illegal" decision didn't matter as 1mb roms weren't supported anyways, such as the Metal Slader Glory fan translation. However now that the pro model is capable of playing roms this large, are there any plans to add support for 1mb MMC3 roms in the future? I know there are other games that do this, like a Chinese bootleg translation of DQ4. I also know that current emulators such as Mesen support this weird format.

Know it doesn't matter all that much as this would occur on any existing everdrive n8 pro setup, but my OS is 2.11 and my hardware is an AV Famicom.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ErWPI1WWMAEr5TE?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Above is a picture of the error screen that loads upon booting up the ROM in question. Note that the error screen is not of the flashcart's, but of the ROM itself (meaning the translator/hacker put it there to make sure the hardware/emulator could run expanded MMC3 ROMS).

Link to translation patch, apply to clean FF3 ROM: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1590/

Thank you so much for all that you do, cheers!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2021, 04:53 PM »
Isn't 512kB the maximum size that the MMC3 can map by hardware limitation though? It would be better if the hack followed the rules to work on real hardware.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2021, 06:03 PM »
I would assume some sort of conversion to MMC5 might work. Not sure about other mappers, but MMC5 allows 1024KB PRG. Probably a lot of work getting the IRQs right, though.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline Nitroxity

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2021, 09:54 PM »
Isn't 512kB the maximum size that the MMC3 can map by hardware limitation though? It would be better if the hack followed the rules to work on real hardware.

Yeah, that was the maximum officially supported size. I'm aware that there were some unofficial clones on certain unlicensed carts that operated like an MMC3 but allowed for 1024k, but they're relatively undocumented compared to the wealth of info we have on programming for more standard chips like the MMC series.

I would assume some sort of conversion to MMC5 might work. Not sure about other mappers, but MMC5 allows 1024KB PRG. Probably a lot of work getting the IRQs right, though.

Very true, and honestly this is something I'm considering if 1024k MMC3 doesn't get added (which would be somewhat understandable). While I'm not at all experienced in 6502 ASM I've looked into other MMC3 to MMC5 conversions and it looks achievable for FF3. In addition to that I can't think of many complex things the game does (tbf Square didn't even use the Noise/DPCM channels for music in the games until FF3, if that says anything), so really I'd think the most complex thing would be if the game has any scanline interrupts going on as I know the MMC3 and MMC5 handle that much differently (ie, MMC5 can perform much more accurately on that front). PLENTY of padding in the ROM for any extra code that may need to be added, but at this point I'm kind of going off topic, so I'll leave it at that. Point is that it's definitely a potential option.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2021, 11:03 PM »
I mean if the MMC3 chip can't handle more than 512kB PRG ROM total, the Everdrive wouldn't be able to either if it emulates the MMC3 accurately. And that would be the desired behavior.
https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/MMC3

If the Everdrive supports those MMC3 clone mappers, it might be easier to convert the game to use one of those clones instead?

Since FF3 uses MMC3 I think you should assume it uses the scanline counter for something. There is this split screen effect when going into battle at least.

Offline DavidDane

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 27, 2021, 08:14 AM »
Hey guys...

Bug report:
Everdrive N8 Pro v2.11
The Simpsons: Bart Vs. The Space Mutants.nes
USA Rev A
Nt Mini Noir

Hangs up with a black screen upon loading. Sometimes will load but you are unable to see anything except graphical artifacts.

Offline BarbieOnWeed

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2021, 10:35 PM »
The Simpsons: Bart Vs. The Space Mutants USA version works on AVS.

Offline DavidDane

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2021, 01:50 AM »
The Simpsons: Bart Vs. The Space Mutants USA version works on AVS.
Great, thanks. What firmware version are you using on the N8 Pro?

Edit: I have received confirmation that this is a bug with the Noir, not with the Everdrive N8 Pro. Thanks for testing it on the AVS.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 01:47 AM by DavidDane »

Offline clintcronin

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2021, 10:20 AM »
Just got the N8 Pro. Using V2.11 firmware. AV Famicom ( NesRGB )   Have tried multiple SD cards, black screen / doesn't boot to any menu, or show any sort of fat/partition error. Original N8 cart works fine on this console.

Offline juanluma

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2021, 09:01 PM »
Castlevania III with glitches.
In the N8 stardard it was working fine.

I've a PAL Nes.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 09:03 PM by juanluma »

Offline juanluma

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2021, 11:37 AM »
I have discovered that if I change mapper 005.RBF to the one included in firmware version 2.08 and earlier, the game works well. The problem is from update 2.09