Author Topic: EverDrive-N8 PRO bug reports.  (Read 11646 times)

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
EverDrive-N8 PRO bug reports.
« on: January 04, 2020, 11:02 PM »
This topic is for reports about glitched or not working games. Please follow rules listed below to give me chance fix problems faster.

1. detailed problem description and condition for reproducing. I should clearly understand how reproduce problem and what i looking for
2. include screenshot or video showing the problem
3. PM me link to ROM download in case if this is some hack/patched ROM or if it exotic ROM which is not included in no-intro set.
4. if problem not appears at begin of the game, but require pass few levels first, then please share save state file from the point near to the problem
5. describe your setup. OS version and console type.
6. make sure that ROM is not corrupted. GoodSet contains lot of bad roms, all those marked as [b1], [o1] and so on. At least check it on emulator.
7. make sure that problem not related to ROM region. PAL games may not work properly with NTSC systems. Also not all games working with Dendy-like clones.

Please don't post in this topic if your problem not related to certain game bugs (you can't boot your cartridge for example or some other global problems).

Offline ko

• View Profile
Re: EverDrive-N8 PRO bug reports.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 01:36 AM »
Nobunaga no Yabou: Sengoku Gunyuuden

If you return to any of the 1 ~ 9 commands on the normal play screen, the screen display will be strange.
If you select command 4 → 1, the screen turns completely dark.

N8pro
OS V2.03
famicom [HVC-101]

Offline Antwon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 01:44 AM »
Kaettekita Mario Bros. for FDS
Crashes on 2 out the 3 advertisement screens, hangs the whole cart OS too. Must reboot console to fix.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPlv-e7-CDQ
OS V2.03
Twin Famicom AN-505
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 02:25 AM by Antwon »

Offline stander

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 06:29 PM »
SUPER MARIO BROS. 2 [JAPAN] (FDS)
after finish 4-4, than N8 pro red light reading forever and no response.
It cannot start the 5-1 stage.
Sharp twinfamicom with OS v2.03
The save state is attached.

Offline c0op3r

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 05:31 AM »
I have a Famicom (HVC-001) that has the NESRGB kit installed and the Voultar NESRGB-IGR switching circuit.

The system works fine with the original Everdrive N8, but with the Everdrive N8Pro it will not boot.  After spending a bunch of time with it, I was able to figure out that if I turn the power on while holding down the RESET key the cart will boot and work - BUT the system constantly palette swaps (which is normally done by holding Right one the D-Pad and press Start and Select at the same time).

If you turn the machine off and back on without holding RESET the cart will not boot.

I spoke to Voutar and got the following response:

"Sorry my man, I haven't the faintest idea with the Everdrive N8 Pro would cause that sort of behavior.
I know that the reset timings were dialed in to accommodate the original Power-Pak and the Everdrive N8, but I haven't any idea about the Everdrive N8 Pro.

-V"

Here you can see the system and the palette swap happening - the LED on the front of the Famicom is an RGB LED and each color indicates a palette.

http://www.c0op3r.com/images/Amiga/Famicom%20HVC-002.MP4

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 07:03 PM »
I know that the reset timings were dialed in to accommodate the original Power-Pak and the Everdrive N8, but I haven't any idea about the Everdrive N8 Pro.

What exactly was the purpose of adjusting the reset timings? I'd try undoing those to see if it makes a difference. The N8 Pro works the same as the older N8 on a standard installation of NESRGB.

Offline jonnnlad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 12:14 PM »
Zelda 2 US NES - seeing random glitchy horizontal lines on side scrolling levels

US rom, tried two different releases
AV Famicom
NESRGB kit installed

Dont have original n8 or original cart to test

Video - https://gfycat.com/understatedablehorsefly
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 01:06 PM by jonnnlad »

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 04:22 PM »
Zelda 2 US NES - seeing random glitchy horizontal lines on side scrolling levels

AV Famicom
NESRGB kit installed

This problem not related to everdrive, same thing may happen with original cart, probably some ppu bug. It happens not always and i not sure if it related to certain hardware revision. One power cycle bug may not appear at all but after another cycle it back with various intensity.
This video was made from original cart: https://youtu.be/UBBxc_NWOdU

Offline jonnnlad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 01:19 AM »

AV Famicom
NESRGB kit installed

This problem not related to everdrive, same thing may happen with original cart, probably some ppu bug. It happens not always and i not sure if it related to certain hardware revision. One power cycle bug may not appear at all but after another cycle it back with various intensity.
This video was made from original cart: https://youtu.be/UBBxc_NWOdU

Yeah, it is pretty random. Powering off seems to fix it for a while.

You've proved its not the n8 so I'll be quiet now  :)

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 09:57 PM »
I've tested out the Zelda II and I'm getting flickering lines as well. I'm using a vanilla av famicom with the pro and the flickering lines seem to be a lot worse with the FDS version of Zelda II. It's more than likely the game itself. I don't recall it happening BitD, but my memory isn't what it used to be.

Offline jonnnlad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 01:30 AM »
I've tested out the Zelda II and I'm getting flickering lines as well. I'm using a vanilla av famicom with the pro and the flickering lines seem to be a lot worse with the FDS version of Zelda II. It's more than likely the game itself. I don't recall it happening BitD, but my memory isn't what it used to be.

I've tried as many versions of the USA rom I can find but ends up happening on all of them eventually

Also tried two AV Fami (both with NESRGB), same issue

« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 01:47 AM by jonnnlad »

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 10:08 PM »
1. Minna no Taabou no Nakayoshi Dai Sakusen does not start at all. Just load it and black screen.

2. Solstice for NES does not start at all. Just load it and black screen. The Europe/Japan versions however do start.

Tested on fw 2.03

*Edit found this on nesdev wiki...

Minna no Taabou no Nakayoshi Daisakusen    Requires that address $11 be initialized to the value $FF, otherwise the game will not start.

Not sure if that is why it's not starting on the N8 Pro, but thought it should be noted.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 10:11 PM by Aether Knight »

Offline ko

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 09:38 AM »
DRAGON BUSTER cannot be started.
The N8pro LED lights remain blinking.

N8pro
OS V2.05
famicom [HVC-101]

Offline Aether Knight

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2020, 12:11 AM »
Just tested these on the newer firmware...

1. Minna no Taabou no Nakayoshi Dai Sakusen does not start on OG v1.23 and Pro v2.05

2. Solstice for NES does not start at all on OG v1.23 and Pro v2.05. Just load it and black screen. The Europe/Japan versions however do start.

3. Dragon Buster does not start on Pro v2.05, but DOES start on OG v1.23

4. OK, this is an odd one. The Immortal (U) works fine on both OG v1.23 and Pro v2.05 on the RetroUSB AVS, however it has an odd scrolling glitches on my unmodded NES2 and Famicom AV. (Just start the game and pause it) This is a console specific bug. Not sure how to classify that one. It works, but doesn't work on all consoles.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 12:30 AM by Aether Knight »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2020, 01:09 PM »
Did you try The Immortal on another TV when it worked?

The NES has a number of black colors in its master palette, and one of them glitches on some NTSC TVs that confuses it for the sync signal. The Immortal is one of the games using this bad color for black. Looks like there is a patch that changes the bad black to a good black:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4534/