Author Topic: GB Color Palettes on GBC  (Read 569 times)

Offline zack__1987

• View Profile
GB Color Palettes on GBC
« on: January 07, 2020, 05:16 AM »
Good evening!

Maybe this is an old question but with Gameboy Everdrive X7 how can I change a color palette on a GB game played for example on a GBC?

Thanks in advance  ;D

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: GB Color Palettes on GBC
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 12:17 PM »
There are button combos you hold at boot time:
https://tcrf.net/Notes:Game_Boy_Color_Bootstrap_ROM

This is for GBC and GBA (which works in GBC mode).

Offline zack__1987

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 03:26 PM »
Sounds good! :) Just how does it works/install?
I downloaded a "CGB_Bootstrap_ROM_tables" folder that needs to be placed in the root directory of the SD? Also for changing palettes when do I need to press the button combination?

Thanks!  :D

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 12:27 PM »
The bootstrap rom is installed in every GBC and GBA already. There is nothing you need to download. What you downloaded is just technical documentation for emulator authors for example.

The button combination is held when booting (you see the Nintendo logo) a GBC or GBA with a GB game.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 11:51 PM »
The bootstrap rom is installed in every GBC and GBA already. There is nothing you need to download. What you downloaded is just technical documentation for emulator authors for example.

The button combination is held when booting (you see the Nintendo logo) a GBC or GBA with a GB game.

Now that I think about what kind of benefits does a boot strap rom have if added to the everdrive to run an a device. I know the SGB2 one lets you see a boarder of a SGB2 I think but has no response but the only one I used was the error line one out of curiosity this was around the time I would try out a lot of PD games like noise makers to even applications that made music channels and stuff if I recall... shame I don't check that stuff anymore.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 01:49 AM »
If the boot strap rom is run from the everdrive? It would be needed to be hacked to run (Gameboy roms requires a proper header), then it would probably just display a glitchy logo and hang like if you start a Gameboy without a cartridge. GBC, SGB and GBA botstrap roms would display their respective logo then hang.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 02:17 AM »
If the boot strap rom is run from the everdrive? It would be needed to be hacked to run (Gameboy roms requires a proper header), then it would probably just display a glitchy logo and hang like if you start a Gameboy without a cartridge. GBC, SGB and GBA botstrap roms would display their respective logo then hang.

I remember applying it to my EDGB years ago and it would either do a corruption or a line or even mess up the Nintendo logo, there was this one time when I accidentally ran a DMG SGB2 boot strap and my device locked itself into always loading that broken SGB error message screen... at first I thought I went over the original SGB data and messed up my entire device but little did I know the reason why it kept popping up with the SGB error message was due to a fault EDGB I got off ebay that was a genuine krikzz one but had a faulty spring and the micro SD card came out just around the time I tried some of the boot strap roms I got from those boards that provide data and parts that have been extracted.

Speaking of which to this day the Nintendo Test screen rom still gives me nightmares to this day... I really thought running it would break my device xDD

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 01:32 PM »
The logo is messed up when booting a faulty rom (or booting without a cartridge) because the logo graphics data is in the cartridge, not in the bootstrap rom. If the graphics data is missing or broken, the logo will not show up correctly. The bootstrap rom will refuse to boot the cartridge rom if it's missing the logo data or if it isn't 100% correct. This was to prevent unlicensed makers from making games to Game Boy, since it forces them to have the Nintendo logo in the rom, which would be a copyright or trademark violation unless they got permission from Nintendo. There are ways to fool the bootstrap rom though, and people have made homebrew with custom logos showing up.

The bootstrap is a mask rom and can't be overwritten. There are no flash memory or anything in the Game Boy that can brick like on Nintendo DS and other newer systems, so there is no sure way to break it using software.

Which Nintendo Test screen rom?

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 07:49 PM »
Which Nintendo Test screen rom?

The SNES ones especially the ones that go in-depth with how your RAM is OK and stuff along with that creepy animation and stuff.

Post changed: