Author Topic: EN8Pro Save/Load-Stating  (Read 2057 times)

Offline dxtr

• View Profile
EN8Pro Save/Load-Stating
« on: January 18, 2020, 09:54 PM »
Hey,

Great work on the new everdrive. Really like the new product. Really fast menu and loading roms.

Two things that I would like to point out is:

- Save and Load-stating doesn't seem to be on par with the Old Everdrive. Feels like there is a bit of delay, like 0.5 seconds. Where on the Old one was instant pretty much.

- Possibility to have a Third hotkey to enter the Savestate Menu and change slot. At the moment, if you are using the QSS setting, you can't get back to the save state menu without pushing the button on the cart. Better to have a third hotkey for that. This would make the life of a speedrunner much easier.

Online KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: EN8Pro Save/Load-Stating
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 01:33 AM »
Hey,

Great work on the new everdrive. Really like the new product. Really fast menu and loading roms.

Two things that I would like to point out is:

- Save and Load-stating doesn't seem to be on par with the Old Everdrive. Feels like there is a bit of delay, like 0.5 seconds. Where on the Old one was instant pretty much.

- Possibility to have a Third hotkey to enter the Savestate Menu and change slot. At the moment, if you are using the QSS setting, you can't get back to the save state menu without pushing the button on the cart. Better to have a third hotkey for that. This would make the life of a speedrunner much easier.

It works bit more slow because  N8 PRO save state engine make saves directly on SD card instead of battery ram. Also PRO captures more memory than OG-N8 to prevent problems with games which uses more than 8K of wram/chr ram.
I will think about possible solutions for slot changing in QSS mode

Offline dxtr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 01:13 PM »
Ah, I see. That explains it. The slower save/load-stating is a minor "issue" really.

Would it be possible to have something in between? While you are using the hotkeys for save stating it uses the battery and when using the menu it uses the SD card where the states are stored.

And thanks for looking into a possibility to change slots in QSS mode. Again, great product.

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 03:46 PM »
Would it be possible to have something in between? While you are using the hotkeys for save stating it uses the battery and when using the menu it uses the SD card where the states are stored.

Adding the option to store save states using battery would be a fantastic addition. I also noticed that saves/loads feel a bit like a downgrade compared to OG N8, and made me miss the old cart. It would be great to have that back so N8 Pro can be 100% superior to previous N8.

Is it possible, @KRIKzz?

Online KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 05:01 PM »

Adding the option to store save states using battery would be a fantastic addition. I also noticed that saves/loads feel a bit like a downgrade compared to OG N8, and made me miss the old cart. It would be great to have that back so N8 Pro can be 100% superior to previous N8.
Is it possible, @KRIKzz?

i will not make extra save options and will not roll back to OG-N8 save states system because it less accurate than PRO saves, limited to single slot and can't be used for fds because fds already used whole battery ram.  But may be i can accelerate current system a bit

Offline fernan1234

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 08:32 PM »
i will not make extra save options and will not roll back to OG-N8 save states system because it less accurate than PRO saves, limited to single slot and can't be used for fds because fds already used whole battery ram.  But may be i can accelerate current system a bit

OK, thanks for the reply and thanks for thinking about accelerating the current system if possible. It's not a big deal as it is, but people used to the old speed will tell the difference, so even a bit improvement will help.

Offline sully51

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 09:39 PM »
Can you PLEASE swap the Save and Load positions on the in-game menu for the pro? Save should be happening less often, and should be the second option, not the first. I've had the pro for only 3 hours and I've already accidentally saved over my states a dozen or more times because I'm trying to quickly load again.

Also, the captchas on this site are horrendous. Next to impossible to read. Add in the 4 other random questions you have to answer and this is honestly the worst forum experience I've had and I'm only on my first post. I would have put this as a suggestion to change in a different post but it's so damn annoying going through that I'm not sure it's worth it.

Online KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 05:42 PM »
Can you PLEASE swap the Save and Load positions on the in-game menu for the pro? Save should be happening less often, and should be the second option, not the first. I've had the pro for only 3 hours and I've already accidentally saved over my states a dozen or more times

Disagree with you. I use saves way more often than loads. This related to specific gaming style which is different for each one.

Offline sully51

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 06:37 AM »
Speedrunners, who arguably are the biggest customer base for the Pro product, want "Load" first. We take a long time to set up our practice saves, and then keep them forever. At least give the option of switching them. I've talked to multiple runners who have the same issue. Quickly reloading a save is far more important than quickly saving.

Offline Odin Belmont

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 04:35 PM »
Can you PLEASE swap the Save and Load positions on the in-game menu for the pro? Save should be happening less often, and should be the second option, not the first. I've had the pro for only 3 hours and I've already accidentally saved over my states a dozen or more times

Disagree with you. I use saves way more often than loads. This related to specific gaming style which is different for each one.

This^ I like the way it is now.  Most don't speedrun.

Offline WhiteHat94

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 08:24 PM »
I would also be in favor of Load State being the first option, really not a big deal either way, just what I would prefer to prevent accidental saving.

Offline Odin Belmont

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2020, 10:29 PM »
I played with the N8 pro for a few hours today and not once had a problem with the save being first.  To be honest I think I would be annoyed if load was first.  My opinion of course.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 11:21 AM »
I don't use save states, but if I did I would prefer load to be first to prevent accidental saves and because I think it would be most commonly used (speedrun training etc).
The only reason I can think of that you would save more often than you load, is if you make regular saves for paranoia's sake.

Offline zanth

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 03:47 AM »
Would it be possible to make that an option in the settings to put load first? I know I've accidently saved over my save states when I meant to load more than once.

Offline Artyse

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2020, 05:12 AM »
I would love to see an option for switching save and load on the in game menu!!!! I have accidentally messed up my save states on several occasions because of this. I do speed running so i utilize load a whole lot more than i do save!