Author Topic: N8 Pro FAMICOM + 60-72pin converter + HiDef NES no/corrupted display?  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Revo_Emag

• View Profile
Just got my N8 Pro FAMICOM ver. and it is awesome! I have 3 Famicom/NES systems and I can use it fine on 2 of them, but not the 3rd. So for reference the 2 that work fine are:
1. AV Famicom w/ Tim W's NESRGB mod.
2. NTSC NES front loader, composite video, blinking light win, Hyperkin and 'My Arcade' branded 60-72 pin adapters.

The one that I can't get to work properly is a NTSC NES top-loader with Kevtris' HiDef NES mod. I can play all my NTSC/J carts fine with my Hyperkin or 'My Arcade' 60-72 pin adapters on that top loader, just not the N8 Pro.

With the Hyperkin adpater it appears to not boot fully. I see the red light come on then flash and go out. Then nothing. Controler is unresponsive.
With the My Arcade adapter it boots, but the screen is covered in random characters and you can't read anything. It seems that the N8 Pro functions, because I can start a game and the graphics seem fine in-game, but the load/save menu and main menu are both unreadable. The HiDef NES's menu is fine during this time too, as a side note.

Oddly both these adapters work fine with the N8 Pro in the front loader. I'm stumped. I assume it's some sort of weird issue between the HiDef NES and the N8 Pro? I've tried all the OS versions from 2.00 to 2.06 as well. All do the same.

Any suggestions? I'd like to use it on that one too, but I'm very happy with it on the AV Famicom.

Thanks for your time!

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Menu uses tricky methods for fast rendering, which isn't used in regular games, only some mmc5 games may use similar tricks. Menu rendering require high accuracy from console hardware.  I wonder if Uchuu Keibitai SDF (J) working fine with your hi-def nes.
It could be related to outdated hi-def firmware, make sure yours is updated.

Offline Revo_Emag

• View Profile
Thanks for the response. I checked and as far as I can tell 3.01 is still the latest HiDef NES firmware which is what I have. I currently don't have another way to run Uchuu Keibitai SDF (J), but if I'll try it when I can.

8)

Offline MadJackHist

• View Profile
Re: N8 Pro FAMICOM + 60-72pin converter + HiDef NES no/corrupted display?
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 04:39 AM »
I just found this thread. I'm having the same issue with the N8 pro and a HiDef NES..

HiDefNES firmware 3.01. I haven't tried the older firmware.

Offline crcross

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 08:46 PM »
Add another to the list. Same issue as both here and same firmware (3.01) on Hi-Def NES.

Offline MadJackHist

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 09:31 PM »
Thank you. At least now I know that I'm not the only one!

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 05:32 PM »
So all has glitches in menu but in game everything fine?

Offline crcross

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 10:23 PM »
I have not actually seen the N8 Pro work yet in mine so I would not know how to start a game as I have never used one. Normal carts work fine. The only other NES I have is a front loader. I have not tried the Famicom N8 Pro in there yet cause I have not had time to take it apart.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2020, 11:21 PM »
Try this OS build: http://krikzz.com/pub/support/var/rc/N8-PRO/EDN8-safe-mode.zip
In this build menu forced to work in safe mode. In this mode menu repaints bit slowly and looks worse but not used any tricks for rendering. I wonder if safe mode will make any differences. My OG analogue nt with hi-def mod works fine without switching to safe mode by the way, i tested on firmware v2.00 and v3.01.

Offline MadJackHist

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 02:39 AM »
This does not work. I even downgraded my HiDefNES firmware to 2.25. Same result.

With this firmware, I do see some garbled text flash on the screen before it goes black. Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuzFwrjXyp8

It still works just fine using a non-modded NES. But strangely, with this firmware it tells me that I have the PPU bug, which is common on cheap clone consoles.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2020, 02:50 AM »
But strangely, with this firmware it tells me that I have the PPU bug, which is common on cheap clone consoles.

This is because i forced safe mode which used for such clones.
Same black screen without sd card?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 02:57 AM by KRIKzz »

Offline MadJackHist

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2020, 03:12 AM »
Actually, no. I get the gray "SD Card Not Found" screen..

Hmm...

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2020, 03:31 AM »
Then potentially it can be problem with power supply. Some SD cards may draw large current during initialization or write operations. This impulse may cause system crash if there is not enough power to supply hdmi board, system itself and everdrive. Those "SD Card Not Found" screen has same loading sequence as OS, but it loads from internal flash instead of sd card, if this work then OS should work also.
1. Try to use another sd card if you have any.
2. If possible try to power everdrive via usb cable to check if external powering can makes changes.

Offline MadJackHist

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2020, 04:13 AM »
Nope, same behavior. I tried a 32gig card from sandisk and one from samsung, both class 10 sdhc u1. Also tried a 128gig samsung class 10 sdhc u3. Also tried formatting the cards using ex-FAT as well as fat32 on the 32gig cards. Also fooled around with the file allocation sizes. And various versions of the os.

Also tried attaching an external battery to the usb port, and tried using a 2 watt usb wall wart (the one used for the SuperNt). Same behavior.

I have ordered a couple of 16gb sd cards, as well as a class 4 one. We'll see how that goes.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2020, 04:30 AM »
What happens if insert sd card right at "SD Card Not Found" screen and push reset?