Author Topic: N8 Pro FAMICOM + 60-72pin converter + HiDef NES no/corrupted display?  (Read 1690 times)

Offline crcross

• View Profile
Re: N8 Pro FAMICOM + 60-72pin converter + HiDef NES no/corrupted display?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2020, 04:31 AM »
I changed my power supply to my original NES power supply and it has been much better. It still does not start 100% but it is much more consistent in working but things are very strange.

I am not sure why but, if the console is sitting on my desk it does not work but if I pick it up and hold it so it touches me it works every time and still works after setting it down? No joke. This is with the latest OS and the safe mode one. As strange as it sounds it is true. See video.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QrWRcpUsEuvNExCx5

I am at a loss here. Maybe some type of RF interference?

Offline Dobermanun

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2020, 05:14 AM »
No menu problem with good power supply but Mario 2 fds broken. Hope Krikzz fix.

Offline MadJackHist

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2020, 05:41 AM »
Same. Though it seems to be sporadic without the card inserted. Sometimes it fires right up to the C1 error. Sometimes nothing.

I thought I was onto something when I removed my 8bitdo MES wireless controller adaptor.. but it's the same.

Offline MadJackHist

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2020, 05:47 AM »
Looking more and more like a power issue. I'm using the OEM power adapter (the one that came with this NES when I bought it in 1991), and nothing.

Am tempted to buy a retroRGB AVS just to see if that works. Haha!

Anyone know if it does?

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2020, 05:51 AM »
I changed my power supply to my original NES power supply and it has been much better. It still does not start 100% but it is much more consistent in working but things are very strange.

I am not sure why but, if the console is sitting on my desk it does not work but if I pick it up and hold it so it touches me it works every time and still works after setting it down? No joke. This is with the latest OS and the safe mode one. As strange as it sounds it is true. See video.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QrWRcpUsEuvNExCx5

I am at a loss here. Maybe some type of RF interference?

I have same hyperkin famicom to nes adapter like in your video. Just tried it with unmounted top loader. Guess what? It not working. Then tried with front loader and same thing.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2020, 05:56 AM »
Looking more and more like a power issue. I'm using the OEM power adapter (the one that came with this NES when I bought it in 1991), and nothing.

Am tempted to buy a retroRGB AVS just to see if that works. Haha!

Anyone know if it does?

AVS works with latest firmware. Also you need good powering usb cable, otherwise avs may fall in reboot when OS initialization begins. Were discussed here: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=9533.15

Offline crcross

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2020, 06:00 AM »
So maybe it is something about the way I hug it with the Hyperkin adapter lol. I guess I need to just show my NES some love when I want to play until I can get a hold of a better adapter.

Offline MadJackHist

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2020, 05:55 PM »
Different SD cards had no effect.

Any other ideas on getting this thing to work with the hi def nes?

Offline adimifus

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2020, 07:56 AM »
Just got my N8 Pro FAMICOM ver. and it is awesome! I have 3 Famicom/NES systems and I can use it fine on 2 of them, but not the 3rd. So for reference the 2 that work fine are:
1. AV Famicom w/ Tim W's NESRGB mod.
2. NTSC NES front loader, composite video, blinking light win, Hyperkin and 'My Arcade' branded 60-72 pin adapters.

Wait, the My Arcade adapter works for you? I actually bought two (thinking the first was defective) and neither work with my N8 Pro on any console I've tried... other adapters work fine, though.
Everdrive N8 (Famicom), Everdrive N8 Pro (Famicom), SD2SNES rev E1, Game Doctor SF7, Everdrive 64 v2, Jaguar SD, PSIO
EMS USB 64M, Everdrive GB v1.1, Everdrive GB X7 rev B, Everdrive GBA X5, CycloDS Evolution + M3 GBA Expansion

Offline Revo_Emag

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2020, 05:33 AM »
Sorry, been away a while and catching up to the thread here.

Wait, the My Arcade adapter works for you? I actually bought two (thinking the first was defective) and neither work with my N8 Pro on any console I've tried... other adapters work fine, though.

Sort of works, but not a good experience. The My Arcade on my top loader w/ HiDefNes will boot the N8 Pro, but the menu display is all messed up. Just garbage characters everywhere, so you can't read anything. If you start a game, the display is fine in-game and seems to play fine too. It's really odd. This might be an obvious question so no offence is meant, but when you use your My Arcade I assume you took it out of the shell since the N8 Pro wont fit. Are you turning the FC carts around to face forward? The My Arcase is the only adapter I've seen where they flipped the top connector so that the label faces forward/up. So they are opposite of the Hyperkin and others.

I just tried the Hyperkin adapter again without the SD card in the N8 Pro on HiDef NES and I do get the gray SD card error C1 screen. Which is something I hadn't tried before.

I've also tried an original NES 10v 1.3A AC power adapter and a Triad 9v 2A DC adapter, USB power to the N8 Pro using a 10W Apple iPad charger, as well as several different SD and SDHC cards and none of that makes a difference.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 05:42 AM by Revo_Emag »

Offline Revo_Emag

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2020, 06:22 AM »
 :o Well this is certainly interesting.

I tried the Safe-Mode FW Krikzz posted earlier and holy sh*t it works fine on my HiDef Nes top loader with the My Arcade adpater!

Still black screen or no boot with the Hyperkin though.

Also just a side note: I de-soldered the CIC chips from both adapters when this all started. They are completely unneeded for a top loader and my front loader already has one on the Binking Light Win board anyway. I doubt this has anything at all to do with this though, but just mentioning it in case.

Offline adimifus

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2020, 03:00 PM »
Sort of works, but not a good experience. The My Arcade on my top loader w/ HiDefNes will boot the N8 Pro, but the menu display is all messed up. Just garbage characters everywhere, so you can't read anything. If you start a game, the display is fine in-game and seems to play fine too. It's really odd. This might be an obvious question so no offence is meant, but when you use your My Arcade I assume you took it out of the shell since the N8 Pro wont fit. Are you turning the FC carts around to face forward? The My Arcase is the only adapter I've seen where they flipped the top connector so that the label faces forward/up. So they are opposite of the Hyperkin and others.

Yep I took it out of the shell. I plan on cutting the top of the shell off to allow the larger N8 Pro to fit, and since I'm using it with a top-loader I dont care about that extra bit anyway.

My experience is the same-- messed up menu, but otherwise functional. Sorry I probably should have clarified that in my post. The main reason I wanted this adapter was because it works with Famicom carts facing forwards.

https://youtu.be/a_tN9Ss8RFk

I tried the Safe-Mode FW Krikzz posted earlier and holy sh*t it works fine on my HiDef Nes top loader with the My Arcade adpater!

Cool! I'm gonna have to try that later.

Also just a side note: I de-soldered the CIC chips from both adapters when this all started. They are completely unneeded for a top loader and my front loader already has one on the Binking Light Win board anyway. I doubt this has anything at all to do with this though, but just mentioning it in case.

I tried it with and without the chip, made no difference to me. Same results on both a top- and front-loader.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 03:33 PM by adimifus »
Everdrive N8 (Famicom), Everdrive N8 Pro (Famicom), SD2SNES rev E1, Game Doctor SF7, Everdrive 64 v2, Jaguar SD, PSIO
EMS USB 64M, Everdrive GB v1.1, Everdrive GB X7 rev B, Everdrive GBA X5, CycloDS Evolution + M3 GBA Expansion

Offline Adamcarter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2020, 04:09 AM »
KRIKzz
From your post it seems the N8 pro has better compatibility with the OG analogue nt. i have the second edition. You think it will work just as well/
Thanks

Try this OS build: http://krikzz.com/pub/support/var/rc/N8-PRO/EDN8-safe-mode.zip
In this build menu forced to work in safe mode. In this mode menu repaints bit slowly and looks worse but not used any tricks for rendering. I wonder if safe mode will make any differences. My OG analogue nt with hi-def mod works fine without switching to safe mode by the way, i tested on firmware v2.00 and v3.01.