Author Topic: [Help] grey screen with Everdrive N8 Pro + Famicom AV + NESRGB + NESRGB-IGR  (Read 1483 times)

Offline heldma1m

• View Profile
Hi,

I've similar issues with the N8 Pro than the guys with Hi-def addon and a N8 Pro.

I'm getting most of the time a grey screen and if I'm getting an menu, I've no issues to play my games. I'm using an Famicom AV with a new 9V MeanWell power supply. I've also installed a NESRGB and a NESRGB-IGR. I'm also tried to reset the console, if I'm getting the grey screen and re-insert the SD card with no success.
I've also tried other SD cards (Sandisk 8GB with Fat32 and a Samsung Evo 64GB with Fat32) both with the same grey screen.
I've installed the latest Firmware 2.06 on the SD card.
It looks like the SD card initiation process is to fast and the rest of the modul is not ready, maybe a power consumption issue.
I've also tried an other N8 Pro from a friend of mine with the same behavior.

I've no issues with original cartridges or connect issues.

Do you've any ideas?

Thanks & Br
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 01:38 PM by heldma1m »

Offline heldma1m

• View Profile
Re: [Help] grey screen with Everdrive N8 Pro + Famicom AV + NESRGB
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 11:02 PM »
Ok, I found a workaround here. Holding reset while powering on the Famicom.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=9549.msg72357#msg72357

Is there a solution or do I've to remove the NESRGB-IGR?

Offline jonas

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 11:54 PM »
Did you move the reset capacitor to the nesrgb-igr?

Offline heldma1m

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 12:18 AM »
I've the borti4938 IGR. I can't find this on the installation pic.

https://github.com/borti4938/NESRGB-IGR/blob/master/Normal-Version/Installation/AV_Famicom.jpg

Offline jonas

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2020, 12:26 AM »
It's not on the installation pics. Look at the twitter link at the bottom of this page:
https://github.com/borti4938/NESRGB-IGR/tree/master/Normal-Version

Offline Dobermanun

• View Profile

Offline heldma1m

• View Profile

Offline heldma1m

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2020, 11:34 AM »
It's not on the installation pics. Look at the twitter link at the bottom of this page:
https://github.com/borti4938/NESRGB-IGR/tree/master/Normal-Version

So, I only have to add a 4,7u cap on the Reset out pad of the IGR pcb and everything is working fine?

Offline jonas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2020, 02:25 PM »
So, I only have to add a 4,7u cap on the Reset out pad of the IGR pcb and everything is working fine?

I just want to make it clear, I don't know if this is your problem, this is a guess and while I have a nes toploader (not famicom) with nesrgb and nesrgb-igr with the reset cap moved to the igr board, I only own the original n8 and not the pro so I can't test, if there is a broader incompatibility. That being said, what you're seeing sounds like the problem that was reported in that twitter thread, that certain games will fail to boot regularly unless the reset button is pushed during start up on the toploader when nesrgb-igr is installed and the solution is to move the capacitor from the reset line to the board. That is why voultar added vias to his later revision of that mod to make the move easier, however you should see the same result, if you connect the cap to reset_out and ground.

Offline heldma1m

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2020, 01:31 PM »
I'v added a 4,7u capacitor to the Reset out line, but I've still the same issue -> grey screen.

Offline jonas

• View Profile
Judging from your picture it looks like you installed the capacitor inline with the wire allready attached to reset_out, however it is supposed to connect to reset_out and ground. Maybe take another look at the picture voultar posted on twitter.

Offline heldma1m

• View Profile
I've changed the cap to ground and now it is working. :) But the normal reset isn't working anymore. If I understand Voultar correctly, I must connect another wire from the Reset out of the IGR to the PPU Reset PIN that isn't connected to the NES mainboard anymore.

Offline heldma1m

• View Profile
I've tried to implent the fully reset as described by Voultar. -> https://twitter.com/Voultar/status/1083446963570466817
The PPU / Reset Pin doesn't have contact to the Famicom mainboard, but if I press the Reset Button for a short time, I'm getting a black screen, so I've to power off and power on the famicom again.
I think, I only reset the PPU and not CPU as well.
Do I've to wire anything else?

Thanks & Best regards

Offline Link83

• View Profile
Have you removed the original 4.7uF capacitor from the AV Famicom motherboard? Only it looks like its still there on your photos. Its supposed to be relocated to the IGR board:-
https://twitter.com/Voultar/status/1083443834191822848
It looks like you used a new 4.7uF capacitor instead? Not sure if leaving the original capacitor in place is the correct thing to do.

Also, I cant see any wire going from the IGR boards RST OUT back to the AV Famicom's reset switch on your latest photo? Did you remove this wire? This is the wire that resets the CPU, its supposed to still be connected as well as adding the 4.7uF capacitor to ground.

I wouldn't bother with the additional PPU reset until you have the circuit correct.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 05:18 PM by Link83 »

Offline heldma1m

• View Profile
Here is a new pic from the wiring. The old cap is still in place.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 05:21 PM by heldma1m »