Author Topic: Issues with TED V2.5 and CD Unit  (Read 2494 times)

Offline Reynold1

• View Profile
Issues with TED V2.5 and CD Unit
« on: August 22, 2017, 04:46 PM »
I just recently got my TED v2.5 in and I love it! However, when I am attached to the Turbo CD unit, the TED has functionality issues with games freezing after a minute or so or the graphics messing up and glitching when playing a CD based game. I am using all original OEM power adapters for the TG16 and Turbo CD unit. Has anyone had this issue before?Is it a software update I need?  I assume it is a power consumption issue? I would love to not have to keep removing my Turbo CD every time I want to use the TED. I am also using the newest Everdrive Pack v3.7 from Smokemonster if that helps.

Offline Atse

• View Profile
Re: Issues with TED V2.5 and CD Unit
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 09:49 AM »
You need a patched version of the System Card bios, otherwise it wont work.
I belive there is a conflict between memory in the PCE and in the TED that makes it unstable/unsafe.

More info here: https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3640.0

Smokemonsters rompack includes the right versions for JP and US versions (region version doesnt matter really)

Offline SmokeMonster

• Puzzle Bobbler
  • tsst tchh chh ch ch ch
    • View Profile
    • SmokeMonster YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 03:15 AM »
You need to buy a Japanese Super System 3.0 card in order to play everything (except Arcade Card games, but they are locked to JP region).

Even with the patched TED bioses, you can't use Super System card bioses on a PCE-CD or TurboCD via the EverDrive. You can only do that with Duos and Super CD-ROM2s since they have the necessary extra onboard CD ram.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 03:59 PM »
If that was the problem, the game wouldn't even start.

I think it's a power issue. Measure your power adapter.

Nevermind, I wasn't thinking. SmokeMonster is right, if you run the BIOS from the TED without the required RAM the game would be fooled and start despite RAM not being enough, and the game could crash when it runs out of RAM.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 07:27 PM by nuu »

Offline leodoidaum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 06:54 PM »
I have a PC Engine DUO and a TED 2.5v, however, I played few CD games (only the ones I own) and I would like to play Gates of Thunder and Winds of Thunder, is there a possibility that I can play these games? which bios do i need? could someone give me the link to download everything that is needed to run these games? Can this damage my PCE Duo?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 07:23 PM »
The TED is only for Hucards, you don't need it for CD games. If you have a Duo you can already play those games without any system cards at all since it has the Super CD BIOS and RAM built in.

You just needs to be careful in case you want to run a BIOS from your TED. Don't run the clean Super System Card BIOS rom from your TED or there is potential damage due to an incompatibility of the TED and the BIOS. You need the patched version linked above in that case.