Author Topic: FXPAK Pro not working with SuperNT  (Read 2695 times)

Offline LadyLassy

• View Profile
FXPAK Pro not working with SuperNT
« on: February 24, 2020, 12:35 AM »
We previously had an SD2SNES that worked with our Analogue SuperNT. I accidentally pulled the cart out while the system was running, at which point it no longer worked. We bought the FXPAK Pro as a replacement, and are having trouble getting it to work. I installed the diagnostic firmware and ran it for ~20 minutes. The red LED flashed the entire time but nothing was displayed. I've pasted the contents of the test_log.txt on the microSD card below. Does the fact that the SNES test failed indicate something is broken with the SuperNT? It does seem to play other SNES cartridges just fine.

Thank you for any help!

===log opened===
flash check:   1d62b458-b82d6850-c2-11-0 
SD test... please insert card
=============================
crc1 = 8a0b9767 crc2 = 8a0b9767   PASSED

RTC Test
========
setting clock to 2019-02-23 00:00:00
2019-02-23 00:00:00
waiting 2 seconds
new time: 2019-02-23 00:00:02
PASSED

FPGA test
=========
configuring fpga...
basic communication test...PASSED

RAM connection test
===================

Testing RAM0.1 (U501)...

Testing RAM0.2 (U502)...

Testing RAM1 (U511)...
PASSED

SD DMA test
===========
clearing RAM - loading test file - verifying -PASSED

Loading SNES test ROM
=====================

sysclk test
===========
measuring SNES clock...
21442845 Hz
21442757 Hz diff = 88  max = 88
21441653 Hz diff = 1104  max = 1104
21441305 Hz diff = 348  max = 1104
   CPUCLK: 0
  READCLK: 0
 WRITECLK: 0
  PARDCLK: 0
  PAWRCLK: 0
  REFRCLK: 0
ROMSELCLK: 0
   CICCLK: 1786864
** CPUCLK ERROR. CHECK RA102, R331, R332, R333, U331, U401 pin 74
** /PARD ERROR. CHECK RAM TEST, SNES TEST, RA109, U103, FPGA pin B9
** /PAWR ERROR. CHECK RAM TEST, SNES TEST, RA109, U103, FPGA pin C9
** /READ ERROR. CHECK RAM TEST, SNES TEST, RA103, U102, FPGA pin C1
** /WRITE ERROR. CHECK RAM TEST, SNES TEST, RA102, U101, FPGA pin K2
** REFRESH ERROR. CHECK RA110, U103, FPGA pin F9
** ROMSEL ERROR. CHECK RAM TEST, SNES TEST, RA103, U102, FPGA pin C2
** CONTROL SIGNAL ERRORS DETECTED. See above errors
   and check all RA, FBA, U101-103 connections.
FAILED

SNES test status: IRQ: 00   PA: 00   MEM: 00/00
** SNES CPU ERROR. CHECK RAM TEST, CLK TEST, FBA101, FBA102, RA103-109, RA121-122, U101-103, FPGA

TEST SUMMARY
============

flash check:   1d62b458-b82d6850-c2-11-0 
Test      Result
----------------
SD        Passed
USB       not implemented
RTC       Passed
CIC       no run
FPGA      Passed
RAM       Passed
SD DMA    Passed
CLK       FAILED
DAC       not implemented
SNES IRQ  no run
SNES RAM  no run
SNES PA   FAILED

Offline animeloverxX93

• View Profile
Re: FXPAK Pro not working with SuperNT
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 11:18 AM »
I hope you realize that this flashcart was made with an original Super Nintendo in mind first and foremost, not the Super NT.

No clue what the cause for that is, but grabbing a used, original model probably would've been cheaper and more viable than getting a Super NT in the first place.

Try testing on a real SNES.
Or maybe, your flashcart is a dud.
Sorry that I can't provide any elaborate help on that front.

Offline the_randomizer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 05:41 AM »
I don't think using it on a Super NT should matter, it works flawlessly on mine. Could be a bad cart or somehow damaged.

Offline dreimer

• View Profile
    • Reimi's Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 09:45 AM »
CLK test failing I still could understand as the SuperNT does not run in the default SNES speed by default due to fixing the refresh rates to 50/60Hz. You could try other buffering settings to get the real speed to fix that one. But it should not matter (Does not here at least) The SNES PA test is what makes me wonder....

Offline EgoSumLux

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2020, 04:52 PM »
I just bought my first rom cart, fxpak 2 for my super nt. It's not working for the moment but I am probably doing something wrong. Is a pdf manual available?

Offline EgoSumLux

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2020, 05:22 PM »
I formatted the SD card fat32 32kb and extracted the latest firmware on it
nothing happens when I try running the rom cart om my super nt

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 04:07 AM »
I hope you realize that this flashcart was made with an original Super Nintendo in mind first and foremost, not the Super NT.

No clue what the cause for that is, but grabbing a used, original model probably would've been cheaper and more viable than getting a Super NT in the first place.

This is idiotic reply and advice. Ikari & Krikkz worked with Kevtris to insure compatiblity of flashcarts with Analogue's products.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 04:02 PM by Galron »

Offline animeloverxX93

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 11:45 AM »

This is idiotic reply and advice. Krikkz worked with Kevtris to insure compatiblity of flashcarts with Analogue's products.

As idiotic as your post, who adds zero to the topic at hand.
Krikkz didn't make the SD2SNES/SD2SNES Pro; Ikari did.

Seeing as I talked to Ikari about this very problem multiple times, I'd rather believe him, rather than your random gibberish.

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2020, 12:41 PM »
SuperNt has a bit of a strange booting behaviour, it seems that a change in CIC state / pair mode entry can make it crash.
The SuperCIC firmware on the OG sd2snes technically had a bug which always makes the CIC handshake fail when resetting the console after entering pair mode. SuperNt behaves differently from a usual SNES in that it resets the CIC twice on bootup instead of only once. Therefore it has some come to rely on pair mode entry never working properly. So the SuperNt tends to crash when SuperCIC handshakes actually work properly as is now the case with sd2snes / FXPAK pro!
By the time I noticed the difference it was too late :) So I implemented a workaround that momentarily delays pair mode entry on console reset... it appears that it isn't working for everyone so this needs more attention. I suspect that there are also differences in behaviour depending on the model of the SuperNt (different SuperCIC lock firmwares used...?)

Either way this problem should only occur when pair mode is allowed in the FXPAK configuration.
To check if pair mode is allowed, open sd2snes/config.yml on your SD card and look for the option "PairModeAllowed". Setting it to 'false' might help with the issue at hand.

On a side note, CIC clock is super low on SuperNt. Usually it's between 3 and 4 MHz depending on the SNES model. SuperNt runs it at ~1.7MHz. But that shouldn't matter in normal operation.

As for the diagnostic firmware failing, that's most likely due to the SuperNt not booting up in time for the test. Results may also change when setting it to boot directly to the cartridge without entering the splash screen or the menu.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2020, 03:57 PM »
Thanks Ikari!

I find I have to leave it at boot straight to cartridge to work.  Otherwise I get weird glitches.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2020, 04:02 PM »

This is idiotic reply and advice. Krikkz worked with Kevtris to insure compatiblity of flashcarts with Analogue's products.

As idiotic as your post, who adds zero to the topic at hand.
Krikkz didn't make the SD2SNES/SD2SNES Pro; Ikari did.

Seeing as I talked to Ikari about this very problem multiple times, I'd rather believe him, rather than your random gibberish.

Ikari is definitely working on the flashcart/firmware, Krikkz is the only authorized builder of Krikkz design (those Chinese clones are crap), and they hav worked with Kevtris to make his product work as best as possible. As Ikari's post proves he is still working on 'making things work'...

Your post offerred little to help either, except to just bash the Super NT. Problem is in the future high end fpga clones might be the only method to play these games short of software emulation, as super nintendo's begin to fall apart, PPUs die, etc... And as classic gaming becomes more popular the prices of classic systems (as they start to become more scarce, or picked up by collectors) are actually starting to 'go up', in some cases I've been seeing them go for $150 or so which is actually inching on the cost of the FPGA options... (granted you'll usualy get a controller or two with them which FPGA method's usually offer seperately)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 04:05 PM by Galron »

Offline animeloverxX93

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 09:39 PM »
Your post offerred little to help either, except to just bash the Super NT.

And that's where you are wrong, kiddo.
See, I recommended going with the real deal, rather than a clone console, because it is the more viable alternative, seeing as the original works as intended.
I didn't "bash" the Super NT; I merely stated facts.
Not my problem, if you get offended over something silly like this.

Not sure what "Ikari still works on it." proves though.
Like, we are all aware of that...?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:47 AM by animeloverxX93 »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 03:58 AM »
The point is Ikari has been working to fix any problems there might be between his hardware and the Kevtris hardware. Kevtris on his end has also been working out 'bugs' between his hardware and various flashcarts out there in firmware on analogue's side...

As for the Pro, i've heard people complain about it sometimes not working on original hardware either in various threads... It has taken multiple firmwares to 'fix various issues'...

Personally I lucked out and have a Super NT that has no problems with the SD2SNES Pro I have (unless I use the "boot from menu' options from a 'cold boot', easily fixed by setting it to boot to cartridge), and I have had alot of fun with it. Since my old Super NES died on me, I'm not yet ready to shell out another $75-$150 (going rate on ebay at the moment), and have no reason to since it works great. My TV doesn't look so great through the a/v ports (blurry mess comes to mind).. I see no reason to 'downgrade' just yet...

Nothing is perfect, it itself is not 'original cartridge hardware' and things can go wrong (FPGA on the SD2SNES has to be programmed correctly to fix the issues)....

To be honest I hear more people have less problems with the original SD2SNES, the Pro is still 'bleeding edge', and all the kings haven't yet been worked out.