Author Topic: Everdrive GG x7 compatibility  (Read 6531 times)

Offline yoshi41

• View Profile
Re: Everdrive GG x7 compatibility
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2020, 11:27 AM »
Chase HQ is one of the GG games in SMS format. Change the file extension from gg to sms.

The SMS version of the game does not work properly on my GG. The GG version runs fine.

Offline chopsticksamurai

• View Profile
    • ChopstickSamurai.com
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2020, 11:43 AM »
Chase HQ is one of the GG games in SMS format. Change the file extension from gg to sms.

The SMS version of the game does not work properly on my GG. The GG version runs fine.

Thanks for the suggestion, but changing the file extension didn't have any change on the Game Gear game.  However the SMS version runs fine on my Everdrive X7 where the GG version does not.  Sounds like we're having the opposite problem.  :) 

Offline yoshi41

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2020, 06:16 PM »
That's strange.

I have 3 GG EDs (1st version OS v5, 2nd version OS v9 and X7 OS 1.04) and the GG version of Chase HQ works fine on all of them.

There was a problem with the very 1st ED GG cart. Those GG games in SMS format did not work with SMS headered ROMs ("TMR SEGA" at 0x7ff0). I had to manually remove the header, in order to be recognized properly. But this has been solved since version 2.

However, all those GG/SMS games still must have the .sms file extension:

Castle Of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse
Chase HQ (Taito Chase HQ)
Fantastic Dizzy
Olympic Gold
Out Run Europa
Predator 2
Prince of Persia
R.C. Grand Prix
Rastan Saga
Super Kick Off
WWF Wrestlemania Steel Cage Challenge

Are those games working for you?

And what exactly is the problem with the Chase HQ GG version?

PS: Chase HQ SMS version can be played, but it has graphical glitches (when the road splits).

Offline chopsticksamurai

• View Profile
    • ChopstickSamurai.com
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2020, 06:16 AM »

And what exactly is the problem with the Chase HQ GG version?

PS: Chase HQ SMS version can be played, but it has graphical glitches (when the road splits).

So here is what I'm getting with my Everdrive-GG X7.  Crappy phone pics incoming, but I think they'll give you the general idea.  ;D

This is what I get when I load up the Game Gear ROM on my X7.  Before it freezes on this screen I get a weird discolored Sega splash logo.  Even though it's frozen the music still plays.  I also tested this on my Mega SG with the Game Gear adapter and got the same exact thing.

Here's what an original Chase HQ Game Gear cartridge looks like on my Game Gear.

And here's the SMS ROM playing on my ED GG X7.  I get the same graphical glitches you get when the road splits.

Hope this sheds some light on what's happening on my end.  Perhaps I need to try a different ROM?  I'm using an old Smokemonster pack if that's any help.

Offline yoshi41

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2020, 09:33 AM »
This is what I get when I load up the Game Gear ROM on my X7.  Before it freezes on this screen I get a weird discolored Sega splash logo.  Even though it's frozen the music still plays.  I also tested this on my Mega SG with the Game Gear adapter and got the same exact thing.

Ok, this is exactly what you get with all those ROMs in SMS format, if the file extension is .gg.

I guess you're using Windows and your ROM is probably named like "Chase HQ.sms.gg" right now.

Please uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" in Windows Explorer -> Folder Options -> View and remove the .gg extension.

Offline Golden Mean

• View Profile
Re: Everdrive GG x7 compatibility: Desert Strike
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2020, 04:26 PM »
Since SMSOS v1.02, Desert Strike has not booted for me.  All regions and all roms I've tried.  I'm not a big fan of the game and stumbled upon the problem. Still, it seemed relevant to this thread, and I can't find anything in the forums covering it.

Offline kevin1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2020, 11:02 AM »
Some individuals have received review units. Reports are that Gunstar runs and the Shining Force translation saves (the reviewer didn't have the Japanese version to try).  Additionally, loading times to start the game are much lower and save states work.

So this looks to be a good unit and a great upgrade.

Check YouTube in a few days for the review.
yes you are right

Offline Blitzed78

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2020, 11:02 PM »
I’ve had issues with the following games running latest firmware on the x7..  outrun Europa, The majors pro baseball, Taito chase hq(gg&sms), desert strike..  World Series baseball (both versions) Earlier posts from other people have already mentioned those games,  I can confirm with my setup their findings too.  Is there anyway to get these games to run?  Just curious if I’m missing something
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 05:12 AM by Blitzed78 »