Author Topic: New Donkey Kong 64 hack Tag (switch) Kongs anywhere!  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
New Donkey Kong 64 hack Tag (switch) Kongs anywhere!
« on: February 26, 2020, 04:40 PM »
A new hack for Donkey Kong 64 has just been released, that allows you to switch between the Kongs whenever and wherever you like! So anytime you choose, you can simply press Left or Right on the N64 joypad's D-Pad, to become any of the Kongs that you like, thus saving *lots* of backtracking to a transformation point whenever you need to change Kongs.

Here is the demonstration video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6HHVB8bbac

And here is the patch:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4961/

Many thanks to gr8ful123 for letting us know about this release.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 04:42 PM by Kerr Avon »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: New Donkey Kong 64 hack Tag (switch) Kongs anywhere!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 05:09 PM »
I can see the need for Kong tagging anywhere since it's a very repetitive game doing the same thing over and over again with different Kongs. But I fail to see the point of having all Kongs unlocked from the start. That's just a hack to skip parts of the game.

Offline r1ggles

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 01:14 AM »
Anyone gotten this to work with the cracked version of DK64? With the old everdrive pre Ultra CIC II you have to use either the [f2-3] dumps of the game or patch a .z64 with the .aps dextrose crack for Rare games to work without issues. Applying the .ips patch after or before the crack didn't work.

Or is the save deletion Rare implemented also fixed by this hack? (after a random number of hours the non cracked version will delete the save)

Edit: Isotarge sent me a .bps patch which combines the dextrose crack and the tag anywhere hack, I'm sure the romhacking submission will be updated to include both, but if not just message me here or on reddit and I'll link it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 03:44 AM by r1ggles »

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 07:05 AM »
Hey, that's a nice patch indeed.
i agree with nuu, but this game is soOo repetitive.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 11:46 AM »
Anyone gotten this to work with the cracked version of DK64? With the old everdrive pre Ultra CIC II you have to use either the [f2-3] dumps of the game or patch a .z64 with the .aps dextrose crack for Rare games to work without issues. Applying the .ips patch after or before the crack didn't work.
The CRC probably is wrong if you combine hacks like that. Not sure if it will work but try Real N64 CRC Tool (by RaO) to fix the CRC after patching. It's a commandline tool, use option "-c" to see if the CRC is correct or not, and if it isn't you use option "-u" to recalculate and update the CRC.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 02:19 PM »
The author of the hack has now added the Dextrose crack to allow the game to work perfectly on older Everdrive 64 models. The download page for this new version of the hack is the same as the older versions:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4961/

I can see the need for Kong tagging anywhere since it's a very repetitive game doing the same thing over and over again with different Kongs. But I fail to see the point of having all Kongs unlocked from the start. That's just a hack to skip parts of the game.

That's a good point. But I think this hack is more for people who want to mess around or have an easier challenge, not for people who want to play the game properly but also avoid much of the backtracking.

Hey, that's a nice patch indeed.
i agree with nuu, but this game is soOo repetitive.

Donkey Kong 64 is a real Marmite* game, some people utterly love it, in part because it's such a repetitive collectathon, other people loath it, partly because it's such a repetitive collectathon.

* British sandwich filler, that's beloved by many people, and hated by just as many.

Offline air2jordan3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 06:30 AM »
Is this any different than the Gameshark code Kaze had up on his YouTube channel? Other than it being a GameShark code vs a rom/patch, and it seems this has a much smoother transition vs the Gameshark code actually showing the screen when in the DK barrel.

Nevertheless this is really cool, I'll definitely either use this or the Gameshark code just to make the game a little easier to play.

Offline r1ggles

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 06:42 PM »
Is this any different than the Gameshark code Kaze had up on his YouTube channel? Other than it being a GameShark code vs a rom/patch, and it seems this has a much smoother transition vs the Gameshark code actually showing the screen when in the DK barrel.

Nevertheless this is really cool, I'll definitely either use this or the Gameshark code just to make the game a little easier to play.

Gameshark code doesn't work on flashcarts, and probably won't work with a gameshark anyway. Kaze had some involvement with the patch version of this as well, check the romhacking entry for credits.