Author Topic: Power Saving module for Everdrives  (Read 1213 times)

Offline Dr_Pill

• View Profile
Power Saving module for Everdrives
« on: April 10, 2020, 10:22 PM »

I found this module for $9 from china that promises 30% lower power consumption to all the Everdrive GB line up(Original And Xxs) and also their own version of the Original with the module integrated.
Has anyone got one already? Im waiting for mine.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Power Saving module for Everdrives
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 10:35 PM »
How does this work and how do we know that this isn't damaging the hardware or something?

Offline Dr_Pill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 01:30 AM »
No replay from krikzz.com so far.. I bought it because the power drawn could be an issue when get my hands on a GBP.
The retailer sells a clone EDGB "low power" for around 45 USD. Mine was well over 150 when i got it and is not avalible anymore so it is scary. Going keep the part until someone else do it first!  :-[

Offline Dr_Pill

• View Profile

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 06:32 PM »
No replay from krikzz.com so far.. I bought it because the power drawn could be an issue when get my hands on a GBP.
The retailer sells a clone EDGB "low power" for around 45 USD. Mine was well over 150 when i got it and is not avalible anymore so it is scary. Going keep the part until someone else do it first!  :-[

I highly doubt you will get a response from Krikzz about an add-on to the Everdrive from a company that clones his products

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 03:43 PM »
Sounds shady as hell.

Offline sdqfsdf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 02:54 AM »
I would guess the Everdrive GB used a linear voltage regulator.
As a very simplified example, if you have a DMG with 4x1,5V Batteries you get 6V in total.
If the first generation Everdrive GB runns internally at 3V the voltage regulator dropps the voltage from 6V to 3V by producing heat. The energy stored in your batteries goes 50% into gaming and 50% in heat that way.
(Very simplified! It also depends on the consumed power etc.).

The chinese PCB seems to use a switching regulator which can get up to 90%. The "switch" is very fast, switches on the power as long as it needs just to get the 3V and switches off... That way it does not produce much heat. (This is also a very simplified model what the difference is...).

Usually developers use linear voltage regulators because they are cheaper (needs less components) and produce a much smoother voltage.

I don't know the chematic of the everdrive GB. It would be very funny if the chinese have cloned the everdrive GB and replaced the more expensive switching regulator by an cheaper linear voltage regulator to provide a very low overall price. And now sell the mod to fix the cheaper product ;)

So yes, maybe you may get a better battery life.
But be aware, in china there are a lot of fake chips on the market which don't provide all safety features. If you use genue brand name voltage regulators you know that they work very well. They have protection against overheating, overvoltage, overcurrent etc. If anything goes wrong they just turn off. For switching regulators you usually have a high frequency to get an as even voltage as possible.

If you are in a bad luck and get a very cheep chinese copy you don't know if the protection works or if the voltage is even/clean enough.

Offline Dr_Pill

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 08:39 AM »
Thanks for technical explanation! How can i mesaure cartridge power draw? Would a modified usb tester work? Im gonna try it as soon as it gets here. Since is just 3 short wires I was thinking  of soldering using gold. There is bunch of jewleries here that probably could do that.

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 01:44 PM »
Thanks for technical explanation! How can i mesaure cartridge power draw? Would a modified usb tester work? Im gonna try it as soon as it gets here. Since is just 3 short wires I was thinking  of soldering using gold. There is bunch of jewleries here that probably could do that.

Or you could get some rechargeable batteries and not risk wrecking your cart for a marginal (and unproven) increase in battery life?