Author Topic: Menu controller bug w/ peripheral connected  (Read 1062 times)

Offline elenion

• View Profile
Menu controller bug w/ peripheral connected
« on: March 20, 2020, 08:41 AM »
Super Everdrive v2, os v5

When a normal controller is in port 1 and a peripheral in port 2, most of the controller 1 presses are ignored. You have to press start/etc dozens of times for it to register. If the peripheral is disconnected, all works fine.

Makes it hard to start roms to play with the peripheral, as connecting and disconnecting controllers with the console on is risky.

I think the OS is trying to do something custom with its controller reading, instead of using SNES autoread. This should be reproducible with any peripheral that doesn't identify as a controller, such as the SNES mouse, Justifier, Super Scope, Barcode Battler, Pachinko controller, JRA Pat...

Krikzz, if you don't have any such peripheral, maybe you could release the source to just the controller reading? I could check what's going on, and that part wouldn't help clones in any way. After all it should be using autoread.

Offline elenion

• View Profile
Re: Menu controller bug w/ peripheral connected
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 08:25 PM »
Using the v3 OS is a workaround. The second controller reading was added in v4, and I don't seem to hit any of the bugs fixed in newer versions (no long file lists, and never stumbled upon the SRAM bug).

Offline calil_bfr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 07:44 PM »
Using the v3 OS is a workaround. The second controller reading was added in v4, and I don't seem to hit any of the bugs fixed in newer versions (no long file lists, and never stumbled upon the SRAM bug).

Thanks a lot! I have a non-official light gun that can be used for Justifier and Super Scope games but I don't like having to take the Everdrive out to play the games, which goes against my goal of leaving the cart always plugged in.

Krikzz, can't you release a v6.5 or v7 without the "both controllers active in menu" feature so we can have all the changes but this one that more hurts than helps, at least until you can find a solution?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 07:57 PM by calil_bfr »

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 12:24 AM »

[/quote]

Thanks a lot! I have a non-official light gun that can be used for Justifier and Super Scope games
[/quote]

What's the name of that gun? Interested in maybe trying to track one down.

Offline calil_bfr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 03:57 AM »
What's the name of that gun? Interested in maybe trying to track one down.

Thunder Gun