Author Topic: PC Engine Mini distributed in Japan right now!  (Read 639 times)

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
PC Engine Mini distributed in Japan right now!
« on: March 19, 2020, 11:12 AM »
So it seems despite the whole virus fears the Mini has now been dispatched in Japan while the rest of us wait, what will be your favourite game on here?
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
Re: PC Engine Mini distributed in Japan right now!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 05:36 PM »
Probably Rondo of Blood, even if I think that game is slightly overrated. It's still very good.

Unfortunately, the PC Engine/TG-16 is pretty weak on the platformer side, and most of the RPGs never made the jump across the pond. If you like shooters, though, this is an absolute embarrassment of riches.

(And yes, I pre-ordered one and will have to wait as well. I do have a Duo and EverDrive, so I can still play the games, though. This is the cheapest way to get many of these games legitimately.)
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2020, 03:40 AM »
For me it likely will be Kojima's Snatcher though I hope it will be possible to use the charging port to connect to a computer to update it with something like Retro Arch or better. Though I haven't managed to see any evidential youtube footage of it in action used at a house I have seen some twitter pages showing the box... kinda forgot to copy them and tag them in my 1st post ^^;

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 03:53 PM »
For me it will be: Rondo, Snatcher, Tokimeki Memorial, Ninja Spirit, Splatterhouse, Ys I II and Bonk's Revenge.

It looks like all versions of the mini will have mostly the same games, both PC Engine games in Japanese (so no English Snatcher) and Turbo Grafx games. The Japanese version is announced to have 58 games while the two other ones only have 57 games. Tokimemo is strangely missing. Why? It's one of the best Konami titles so I don't think it's a license problem. Unless Kojima Productions owns it or something.

There appears to be other differences as well. For example Japanese version of Splatterhouse (where the main character has the Jason hockey mask) is exclusive to the Japanese mini, while the others has the localized version.

Edit: Wikipedia has a list of all games for all versions. It seems the Japanese mini has all games except Salamander (PCE) and Splatterhouse (TG-16). The TurboGrafx and Coregrafx minis have all games except Splatterhouse (PCE), Far East of Eden 2 (PCE) and Tokimeki Memorial (PCE).
Kind of strange that Snatcher is included despite it being in Japanese and as text heavy as Far East of Eden 2 and Tokimemo.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 04:16 PM by nuu »

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 02:09 AM »
For me it will be: Rondo, Snatcher, Tokimeki Memorial, Ninja Spirit, Splatterhouse, Ys I II and Bonk's Revenge.

It looks like all versions of the mini will have mostly the same games, both PC Engine games in Japanese (so no English Snatcher) and Turbo Grafx games. The Japanese version is announced to have 58 games while the two other ones only have 57 games. Tokimemo is strangely missing. Why? It's one of the best Konami titles so I don't think it's a license problem. Unless Kojima Productions owns it or something.

There appears to be other differences as well. For example Japanese version of Splatterhouse (where the main character has the Jason hockey mask) is exclusive to the Japanese mini, while the others has the localized version.

Edit: Wikipedia has a list of all games for all versions. It seems the Japanese mini has all games except Salamander (PCE) and Splatterhouse (TG-16). The TurboGrafx and Coregrafx minis have all games except Splatterhouse (PCE), Far East of Eden 2 (PCE) and Tokimeki Memorial (PCE).
Kind of strange that Snatcher is included despite it being in Japanese and as text heavy as Far East of Eden 2 and Tokimemo.

According to Retrogamer an interviewer who explained why those games wouldn't reach us came up with a lame excuse that the reason why we cant have Far East of Eden 2 and Tokimeki Memorial is due to our lack of knowing Japanese for simulation games.

What's weird is they still are against the proper 2nd Bonk game but I presume aside from the transformation issue that would likely come up it also had a Japanese theme song in the ending credits the publishers likely wont want to pay royalties to have this one in Japanese and as a already English one exists with an altered ending credits sprite they went with this one instead.

The censored Air Zonk issue is likely the same reason as the above they just didn't want to risk it.

Post changed:

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 02:43 AM »
There's also some quite racy content as well, which might also be contributing to the decision.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 10:34 PM »
According to Retrogamer an interviewer who explained why those games wouldn't reach us came up with a lame excuse that the reason why we cant have Far East of Eden 2 and Tokimeki Memorial is due to our lack of knowing Japanese for simulation games.
Wow that's really a lame execuse. Snatcher is also a simulation game that absolutely requires Japanese to get anywhere at all. If they would include one of them they might as well include all three of them. Who knows, it might resparkle an interest in those two series which is an opportunity for new instalments or remakes.

That about Bonk's Revenge makes sense though.