Author Topic: Random uncommon crashing on X5  (Read 675 times)

Offline Electric Cat

• View Profile
Random uncommon crashing on X5
« on: March 22, 2020, 09:18 AM »
Lately games played on the X5 have started crashing at completely random times, unfortunately with no clear trigger so it's kind of hard to test and narrow down potential causes. It's relatively uncommon and seems to happen mostly during longer play sessions (but it does sometimes happen quicker), and most recently has happened in Drill Dozer and Yoshi's Island (both of which match the no-intro database), but it's also happened in games being emulated through Goomba Color as well. Everything played on a Gameboy Micro, for what it's worth.

The X5 is on the most up-to-date firmware, and was bought from one of the verified sellers back in November of last year. The hardware test passes everything, and I've already cleaned the cartridge slot, the X5's contacts, the X5's SD card slot, and the SD card's contacts as well, so none of those things are likely the issue.

How the crashes themselves behave is that the game freezes, the image does not get corrupted, and the music continues to play fine (so none of that dreadful screeching you'd get from a normal cartridge read error).

I'm doubting if there's something wrong with it that it's fixable by myself and would require it being sent in for repair, but at the very least is there some way I can determine what the cause of it is?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 09:25 AM by Electric Cat »

Offline Marteicos

• View Profile
Re: Random uncommon crashing on X5
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 11:18 PM »
Try inserting the cartridge and pull it a tiny bit, I've seen real carts crashing when inserting totally.

It worths a try.