Author Topic: Everdrive N8 (original model) random freezing issue on firmware v1.23  (Read 2940 times)

Offline Odin Belmont

• View Profile
It's the firmware. I went back to 1.16 and everything is fine now.

If it was the firmware I would be having the same issue. 

Offline Daytony

• View Profile
It's the firmware. I went back to 1.16 and everything is fine now.

If it was the firmware I would be having the same issue.

If it wasn't the firmware I'd still be having the same problem. I switched from v1.23 to v1.16 and my problems went away. Explain to me how it's not a firmware issue.

Offline v4d3z

• View Profile
hi-def nes kit, firmware 3.01 in av famicom, recapped, upgraded power cap, retro game cave famicom adapter,  everdrive n8 fami 1.23, cheapo 16 GB SD card, formated with SD Card Formatter, no problemo.

Offline MHzBurglar

• View Profile
I borrowed a working NES from my friend and tried my Everdrive N8 on it with firmware 1.23.  I Played Super Mario Bros. and got a freeze on world 1-3.  It's definitely not my NES that's the issue.

It really looks like there's some obscure bug with the 1.23 firmware that isn't affecting all units.  To re-iterate, I did not have this issue with the early OS20 betas (I didn't use the later ones) and I never had any issues on v1.16 or any prior firmware versions.

For those who are not having issues, as well as those who are, when was your Everdrive N8 made?  Mine has an assembly date of July 12, 2017 according to the Device Info page.  (Firmware v1.23, BIOS version 5, CPLD version 2.)

Update:  I changed my SD card from a SDHC (16 GB Sandisk) card to a plain SD card (2GB Transcend), and formatted it FAT32, 32KB cluster size.  I played Super Mario Bros again, and got another freeze in World 2-2.  It's not My SD card either.

I am using the Blinking Light Win on both NES systems, as I cannot get my Everdrive to boot on either system with the original 72-pin adapter.  Is it possible that the issue is specific to OS 1.23 and the blinking light win?

I also noticed, on both NES systems, that I am getting some minor graphical glitching when using the Everdrive that isn't present with a real cartridge.  Every so often, a thin line will flicker in the middle of the screen or the HUD at the top of the screen (in Super Mario Bros) will flicker.  The game also seems to stutter very slightly when this happens.  Occasionally, when Mario enters a castle after hitting a flagpole, half the screen will jumble for a split second before going back to normal.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 07:58 AM by MHzBurglar »

Offline Turk182

• View Profile
Again I played Super Mario (World) with PAL NES and Firmware 1.23 original N8 and no freeze.

Guys have you the issue with a NTSC NES ?

Offline v4d3z

• View Profile
alright, so after some more playing I got a hard freeze, needed a manual reset from console, at the high score entry screen of shatterhand. using a rom from smokemonster 6.2.

does not crash using 1.22.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 06:15 PM by v4d3z »

Offline MHzBurglar

• View Profile
Update:  I cleaned and did the boil trick on one of the original 72-pin connectors and got my Everdrive N8 booting with the original 72-pin connector.

I played The Legend of Zelda from the beginning of the game and got another freeze about 15 minutes in, right outside of the entrance to the second dungeon.  The same graphical glitches (the thin line of garbage that appears for a split second occasionally) still occured in Zelda, but I didn't see it in Super Mario Bros. this time.

Looks like it's not the Blinking Light Win causing the issue after all...  It seems to happen on a completely stock NES with a clean 72-pin adapter too.

@Turk182:  My NES is an NTSC system.

Edit:  Once again, I reformatted my SD card and put firmware 1.16 on it.  Using firmware 1.16, with my Blinking Light Win installed, I successfully played the Super Mario Bros Special romhack from start to finish without a single graphical glitch or freeze.  I also tested Firmware v1.20 and it had the same issues as 1.23.  This freezing/glitching issue seems to be a problem that was introduced in v1.20 that is still present in v1.23.  It's understandable, as v.120 was a huge revision of the firmware.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 08:52 AM by MHzBurglar »

Offline Turk182

• View Profile

@Turk182:  My NES is an NTSC system.

So I'm afraid that this issue is only for NTSC System. Nothing by my side with my PAL System. No glitch and no freeze.

Offline Earthwormjim

• View Profile
I'm having the same problem

freezing on Super Mario Bros (world) from no intro rom set

firmware 1.23 freezes
firmware 1.16 no problems

I do have a blinking light win installed

I got my everdrive n8 from stoneagegamer so is legit

Offline Turk182

• View Profile

firmware 1.23 freezes

Pal system ?

Offline Earthwormjim

• View Profile
North America

Offline MHzBurglar

• View Profile

firmware 1.23 freezes

Thanks for posting this.  I did some testing with and without the blinking light win (had to boil my old 72-pin connector to get it working) and it seems that the freezing occurs without the Blinking Light Win installed too.  I think it's an issue with firmware 1.23 on US NTSC systems.

Still no word from Krikzz on the issue yet, but he's been pretty busy lately with the Mega Everdrive Pro and the Everdrive GBA X5 redesign.  Hopefully he can look at this soon...

Online KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I just can't reproduce this problem, seems it affect only some carts or certain combinations of cart and console. For same reasons OS 1.2x was so long in beta state till i got the cart and console pair where was easy to reproduce those multiple io errors.
So for now is the only solution is roll back to 1.16. In near future only some fixes for fds and mmc5 will be released. Also we may try to replace your cart but i not sure if it help in case if it something related to console.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
Could it be something to do with the starting memory state? I noticed on a couple of my loads that I was getting small horizontal graphical glitches occasionally, but I don't know if that's normal. I haven't seemed to get them the last couple of times I've loaded it.

EDIT: Popped up again, after I finished a quick Super Dodge Ball bean ball match. Very visible against the castle at the end of 1-3. Again, I don't know if this is normal behavior that happens occasionally with SMB or not - someone that knows the game better will have to weigh in.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 03:05 AM by Sarge »
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Online KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
For sure not related to starting memory state