Author Topic: Original Analogue NT HDMI V3.01 + Famicom EverDrive N8 V1.23 Issues  (Read 833 times)

Offline MarcoAG11

• View Profile
Hello everyone. I'm new here so please forgive any forum faux pas I may be breaking. I was just hoping to start this thread to see who else might be having the same issues I'm having. I've scoured the internet for almost 2 years now, since September of 2018, and read through many posts on this exact forum, but I keep having the issues listed below. I've tried going back to older firmwares for both devices, and even tried various combination of firmwares to see which would line up best, but to no avail. I keep seeing that the Original Analogue NT is supported with the EverDrive N8 on this very forum, that's why I started this thread.

All connectors are clean. Using Analogue provided AC adaptor. No-Intro romset (20200329-092100)
Original Analogue NT HDMI Firmware V3.01
Famicom Everdrive N8 Firmware V1.23
Toshiba HC 4GB Micro SD Card formatted at FAT32 at 32Kb - I have tried with other SD cards and get the same issues.
All Original Carts, both NES and Famicom run flawlessly.

Issues:
  • Almost all games play for about 30 minutes, then glitch up, and usually leads freeze up
  • Ninja Gaiden glitches out once the game begins after the level 1 screen passes. Its sequels seem to boot and play. I haven't seen for how long though.
  • Super Mario Bros 2 USA completely freezes at startup

Of note:
  • Able to play Adventure Island 2 for a long time with no issues
  • Able to play Kid Dracula (Castlevania Collection) with no issues
  • Akumajou Densetsu translation rom hack by Vice Translations with the improvement by ShadowOne333 sometimes works flawlessly for a long time, and sometimes glitches out. It's worth noting because it's a hack and odd that it has less issues than an official game. Since its a hack though, I'll leave all problems to it being a hack.

If anyone could help, or if there are any other Original Analogue NT owners out there who have figured out their way through this and can lend me a hand. I would be most appreciative.

Thanks so much everyone!

EDIT: 2020-04-17

Just a quick update for any other Original Analogue NT owners out there. I shifted over to the Smokemonster rom set as those are specifically put together for each specific flash cart, and have had a greater success rate of working games. Smokemonsters newest as of this post was released on 2020-01-13. I have tested that set and the set released in 2018 for v1.16 firmware.

I have tested a fairly large collection of games going from firmware v1.16-v1.23. Problems arise for the Analogue NT once the large firmware update of v1.20 hits. Many games will just freeze at startup. For example Battletoads completely freezes at the intro screen from v1.20 to the current v1.23, while it works fine for v1.16.

It would be safe to assume that we won't be seeing another update to the Hi-Def NES board anytime soon, and that v3.01 is what we'll be stuck with unless Kevtris decides to make an update which he hasn't done in 3 years. So the best EverDrive firmware for Original Analogue NT users would be v1.16.

I'm currently testing a selection of about 100 games that would be on the majority of most peoples top games list. I'll play them for about 30 minutes or so to see if there are any issues and move on to the next game. I'll follow up with a list of the games that work flawlessly and that have issues. That way we'll have a place to reference. I'll make a new thread for that as its a separate subject. I'll include a link to it here once I'm finished.

Again this is for the Original Analogue NT with Famicom and Nintendo parts, not the Analogue NT mini which is FPGA based and as far as I know, has no issues with the EverDrive.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 09:52 PM by MarcoAG11 »

Offline monads

• View Profile
Wish I could help you mate but I'm on an Nt Mini and no issues using the N8 or Pro with latest softwares installed!  Have you reached out to Analogue support???

Offline MarcoAG11

• View Profile
The NT Mini is different from the original Analogue NT. The mini runs off FPGA while the original uses actual Nintendo and Famicom hardware. They have the same shell, but are essentially different machines.

I did contact support about a year and a half ago, but didn't get much in terms of help, they just told me to update the firmware or that I could return it if I’d like. I then contacted Analogue and didn't get much help from them either. They just told me the same, to update the firmware. Its been very frustrating, especially when I hear that this EverDrive is suppose to work with my machine, but it doesn't.

Offline MarcoAG11

• View Profile
Just pulled out my original Nintendo from the closet, connected the EverDrive N8 to a Famicom to NES converter and everything worked like it should. Seems its just a conflict if the Hi-Def Nes HDMI firmware and the EverDrive firmware. That’s a shame, both devices do what they’re made to do, just not with each other, at least not for me.

I tried the same games, Ninja Gaiden and Super Mario Bros. 2. I dont know if its a mapping issue that those two games seem to share, and maybe games like them seem to share or what, but its worth noting. Those two games are the x factor.

Offline Odin Belmont

• View Profile
Just pulled out my original Nintendo from the closet, connected the EverDrive N8 to a Famicom to NES converter and everything worked like it should. Seems its just a conflict if the Hi-Def Nes HDMI firmware and the EverDrive firmware. That’s a shame, both devices do what they’re made to do, just not with each other, at least not for me.

I tried the same games, Ninja Gaiden and Super Mario Bros. 2. I dont know if its a mapping issue that those two games seem to share, and maybe games like them seem to share or what, but its worth noting. Those two games are the x factor.
I had a Nt mini (which I sold last year) and both of those games work perfect for me on my n8.  I do know that when you put games back on sd card?  (Seems like you've done it many times by your post)  you should always reformat sd card without doing so can give errors and issues with games. 

Offline MarcoAG11

• View Profile
Thanks Odin Belmont, awesome name by the way, but the Original Analogue NT and the mini are completely different minus the shell. The Original NT as actual Famicom and Nintendo parts while the mini uses FPGA. Thats why I was hoping to hear from anyone that owns the Original NT. Hopefully they have found the right combination of firmwares that will work with the most amount of games. I’m currently going through and seeing what games work, and what games wont out of my list of 100 favorite games give or take.

Offline Adamcarter

• View Profile
I am very curious about this too. I wonder if you would have luck with the everdrive n8 pro? I have the second edition analogue nt (non-mini) i think i saw a post in this forum that krikzz he had no issues with the n8 pro and his  1st gen analogue nt. I am gonna get the n8 pro, soon, just saving up, i have the nt mini noir pre-ordered too incase it doesn’t work, but i’d rather have it work on my second edition analogue nt.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=9619.0;topicseen
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 07:06 AM by Adamcarter »

Offline emuman100

• View Profile
Thanks Odin Belmont, awesome name by the way, but the Original Analogue NT and the mini are completely different minus the shell. The Original NT as actual Famicom and Nintendo parts while the mini uses FPGA.

Does the Analogue NT have an SD card slot and the ability to jailbreak? Because if it does, you should do that and you'll probably not have any problems running roms from the SD card.

Using an Everdrive on an FPGA console with the ability to load roms from an SD card is the silliest thing I've ever heard of.