Author Topic: Mega ED Pro  (Read 19643 times)

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
Mega ED Pro
« on: June 11, 2020, 07:28 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOyePyw5yfA

holy cwap, even an NES emulator .....
Krikzz is that your own NES core running on the FPGA?

Offline WaveRacer

• View Profile
Re: Mega ED Pro
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 12:07 PM »
That's looking amazing. I've been holding out for this so I'll be ordering as soon as it launches!

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 05:02 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOyePyw5yfA

holy cwap, even an NES emulator .....
Krikzz is that your own NES core running on the FPGA?

On twitter he said it is his own NES core on FPGA

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 05:37 PM »
So far it seems that it will have all the features of the X7, that's good news! I've also been holding out for this! :D

The FPGA NES is a nice little bonus and better than an emulator. In the video with SMB it sounds like Krikzz reversed the NES APU square channels' 25% and 50% duty cycles, like on some clones. Krikzz probably grew up with Famiclones, so it's not that strange if that's what he did.

Offline Sargon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 06:03 PM »
I'm still not clear whether save states will be available for Sega CD and/or NES games.  Can anyone confirm?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 10:46 PM »
I don't know about the Mega CD, but since the entire NES is in the FPGA Krikzz should be able to do anything he wants with it. It will surly have save states.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 01:17 AM »
The FPGA NES is a nice little bonus and better than an emulator.

Not sure I'd go that far - FPGAs are only as good as the coder, so they can be less accurate than some of the better NES emulators out there like Mesen. I would imagine it will take time for KRIKzz to get right, especially since he has a lot of projects on his plate.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 01:19 AM by Sarge »
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline FeverDrive

• Blast Processing advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 01:54 AM »
Wow, this is awesome. :o
WELCO
METOT
HENEX
TLEVEL

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2020, 12:11 PM »

Not sure I'd go that far - FPGAs are only as good as the coder, so they can be less accurate than some of the better NES emulators out there like Mesen. I would imagine it will take time for KRIKzz to get right, especially since he has a lot of projects on his plate.
Sure but an emulator is only as good as the coder as well. FPGA might be harder to code though, Krikzz has some good experience in this area.
For me this is not much more than a little bonus toy though, since I have a real Famicom and Everdrive N8. Being FPGA it's a more interesting toy than just another emulator would be. Besides I don't think the Mega Drive is powerful enough to run a NES emulator.

Offline dav_johnson@hotmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2020, 04:31 PM »
Is it possible to pre-order the Mega Everdrive Pro?
I’m really excited about this flashcart. Just hoping the input lag wont be to anoying on the NES fpga.

Offline pharaohyami5000

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2020, 11:19 PM »
So just to clarify, would this Mega Everdrive Pro play all Sega games? Outside of Dreamcast, and... maybe Game Gear, SG-1000, and Master System (would it be able to play those)?

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 01:45 AM »

Sure but an emulator is only as good as the coder as well. FPGA might be harder to code though, Krikzz has some good experience in this area.
For me this is not much more than a little bonus toy though, since I have a real Famicom and Everdrive N8. Being FPGA it's a more interesting toy than just another emulator would be. Besides I don't think the Mega Drive is powerful enough to run a NES emulator.
Oh, I don't disagree. I'm just saying we probably shouldn't expect Nestopia/Mesen levels of accuracy right off the bat, both of which are nearly as good as an actual system.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2020, 03:39 AM »
Yeah, and we might also have to expect Famiclone behaviour by default.

So just to clarify, would this Mega Everdrive Pro play all Sega games? Outside of Dreamcast, and... maybe Game Gear, SG-1000, and Master System (would it be able to play those)?
A fair guess is that it will probably be able to do everything the X7 can do (it's more expensive). In that case it should be able to play Mega Drive and Master System games. SG-1000, SC-3000 and Game Gear are all impossible because the Mega Drive is missing the required hardware. Some SMS games that uses some of the SG-1000 hardware features also won't work on a Mega Drive.

I don't know the compatibility of the X7, but since there are few mappers and it supports EEPROM saving, I wildly guess that 95+% of MD cartridge games and 90+% of SMS games works. Since SVP is now also supported that's another game added to the list (Virtua Racing).
No one knows how many Mega CD games are supported.

FPGA-based clones generally doesn't have any real input lag.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 03:41 AM by nuu »

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2020, 05:54 AM »
Even if the NES only runs 50% of the games it is a tremendous gift.

AND the fact that Krikzz ported it to the Mega ED Pro opens up the possibilities for other cores.
He can write/port one for SG-1000/SC-3000 and potentially an approximate one (if it fits) for Game Gear (Sega MageDrive = 512 color palette, Sage Game Gear = 4096). If the GG fits for sure the SMS one can too (just to get that 3 games that use the legacy mode .... just kidding here, and GG too).
ColecoVision and MSX are in the same ballpark as SG1000 to be fair.

Note that controllers and video are still on the Genny, so there are limits but I can see a few other 8bits systems potentially be portable, even better if Krikzz releases an SDK for other people to write/port new cores

It's quite a unique capability in a way ... well done.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 05:57 AM by phoenixdownita »

Offline Jiro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2020, 07:24 AM »
Technically 35 Master System games use SG-1000 legacy mode, although only one of them is not a Korean port from MSX.  I don't know if he'd have to write an entire Master System core or if it would be possible to somehow override the display processor from the cartridge slot and add the mode.

Edit: Fixed link
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 08:47 AM by Jiro »