Author Topic: Super Game Boy 2 (Beta)  (Read 12996 times)

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Re: Super Game Boy 2 (Beta)
« Reply #105 on: September 12, 2020, 07:51 PM »
I need to double check those betas and see if the have the mappers or not.... at this point. I was looking at them under assumption that Robopon wasn't working, even though I was using the latest merged firmware...

I need to actualy check those roms on the GB flashcarts to see if they work there or not... I could be wrong, and they could have HU1 mapper, in which case they won't work.

Yeah it does which is great, I think this was the same situation like how Street Fighter Alpha 2's proto ran on the SD2SNES without the SA-1 (Or was it SDD-1) add on as it didn't include it at the start, just like the prototype of Yoshi's Island also didn't use something the device couldn't run until years later either, which makes me wonder if a proto of a game such as Telefang existed would it still only have the Natsume logo in color while the rest would be default or would it have enhancements aswell?

I was just thinking about this the other day, all those unused bordres are in the files... COuld they be hacked to function again? Isn't there a cheat code to actualyl make them function? I'd prefer a romhack to make it permanent though....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 07:55 PM by Galron »

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 12, 2020, 07:56 PM »
I need to double check those betas and see if the have the mappers or not.... at this point. I was looking at the under assumption that Robopon wasn't working, even though I was using the latest merged firmware...

I need to actualy check those roms on the GB flashcarts to see if they work there or not... I could be wrong, and they could have HU1 mapper, in which case they won't work.

Yeah it does which is great, I think this was the same situation like how Street Fighter Alpha 2's proto ran on the SD2SNES without the SA-1 (Or was it SDD-1) add on as it didn't include it at the start, just like the prototype of Yoshi's Island also didn't use something the device couldn't run until years later either, which makes me wonder if a proto of a game such as Telefang existed would it still only have the Natsume logo in color while the rest would be default or would it have enhancements aswell?

I was just thinking about this the other day, all those unused bordres are in the files... COuld they be hacked to function again? Isn't there a cheat code to actualyl make them function? I'd prefer a romhack to make it permanent though....

Robopon has never worked on the device until recently but its not the firmware the original roms only load the boarders, also I presume you could only use the boarders on a real EDGB and disable the original game loading one up and make the game run with the other set.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 12, 2020, 10:08 PM »
I need to double check those betas and see if the have the mappers or not.... at this point. I was looking at the under assumption that Robopon wasn't working, even though I was using the latest merged firmware...

Robopon has never worked on the device until recently but its not the firmware the original roms only load the boarders, also I presume you could only use the boarders on a real EDGB and disable the original game loading one up and make the game run with the other set.

No, it has to be the latest firmware... Because now the HU1 games all load on the current firmware. All the games are playable!

Krikkz has said he'll never include the required mappers on EDGB series, since there isn't enough space in the FPGA apparently.

Edit: I can confirm that Robopon Betas don't work on EDGB... so the definitley have the HU1 mappers still...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 10:14 PM by Galron »

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 13, 2020, 01:07 AM »
No, it has to be the latest firmware... Because now the HU1 games all load on the current firmware. All the games are playable!

Krikkz has said he'll never include the required mappers on EDGB series, since there isn't enough space in the FPGA apparently.

Edit: I can confirm that Robopon Betas don't work on EDGB... so the definitley have the HU1 mappers still...

That's news to me... even with that that feature it was still fun on the EDGB to change to any boarder in gameplay, I still kind of prefer the device over the beta only due to the fact even with the lack of mappers it allowed you to play any non enhanced game with any boarder another game provided along with its color pallet though the gimmick was only a left over pallet option from whatever it was left on before it was changed, kind of thing of it like a DVD which freezes on a screen and you take out the disk and the image is still on the screen until you power off the device.

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 13, 2020, 01:39 AM »
So anyone know what this game is? I can't read Japanese... I don't think I've ever seen this SGB border before...

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 13, 2020, 01:42 AM »
OR what game is this? Or this it said to be made by IE Institute, but I've never heard of them.. I can't figure out the other two developers either... As they are in japanese...

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2020, 01:54 AM »
Finally this game.. no title screens, no developer information.. that I could find...

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 13, 2020, 12:41 PM »

That's news to me... even with that that feature it was still fun on the EDGB to change to any boarder in gameplay, I still kind of prefer the device over the beta only due to the fact even with the lack of mappers it allowed you to play any non enhanced game with any boarder another game provided along with its color pallet though the gimmick was only a left over pallet option from whatever it was left on before it was changed, kind of thing of it like a DVD which freezes on a screen and you take out the disk and the image is still on the screen until you power off the device.

So with HUC1 and HUC3... Also I think MBC1 is now supported as part of the package... What else do we need still?

MMM01, and TAMA5? And any unlicensed mappers?

MMM01 is used in Taito Variety Pack, and Momataru Collection... Any others?

I think there were other problematic official multipack carts like R-Type 1 and 2, and others that used special chips as well?

Online nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 13, 2020, 04:34 PM »
You mean MBC1M? MBC1 is one of the simplest and most common mappers and has probably been supported for a long time.

I posted this list earlier:
There is a good list of problematic games here:
http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=17471
MBC seems misspelled in many places, and Robopon Star is listed one time too many (or maybe that's not a mistake?).

A larger list of Game Boy mappers and their games with pictures:
https://gbhwdb.gekkio.fi/cartridges/

According to the readme this is what's supported so far:
No mapper, MBC1, MBC1M (MBC1 variants), MBC2, MBC3, HuC-1 (excluding GBKISS and stuff), HuC-3 (excluding GBKISS and stuff), MBC5 (excluding rumble and stuff) and the Camera (excluding the actual camera).

From what I can see is missing from that list is the MBC30 (MBC3 variant that supports 64kB SRAM (instead of 32kB) used in the Japanese version of Pokemon Crystal), MBC6, MBC7, MMM01, TAMA5 and all the unlicensed mappers.

BTW, there was an unreleased Hello Kitty themed Pocket Camera rom in the latest gigaleak. With so many variations of the Pocket Camera now, I see it more as another cartridge mapper instead of just a hardware accessory.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 04:39 PM by nuu »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 13, 2020, 06:07 PM »
You mean MBC1M? MBC1 is one of the simplest and most common mappers and has probably been supported for a long time.

MBC seems misspelled in many places, and Robopon Star is listed one time too many (or maybe that's not a mistake?).

No mapper, MBC1, MBC1M (MBC1 variants), MBC2, MBC3, HuC-1 (excluding GBKISS and stuff), HuC-3 (excluding GBKISS and stuff), MBC5 (excluding rumble and stuff) and the Camera (excluding the actual camera).

From what I can see is missing from that list is the MBC30 (MBC3 variant that supports 64kB SRAM (instead of 32kB) used in the Japanese version of Pokemon Crystal), MBC6, MBC7, MMM01, TAMA5 and all the unlicensed mappers.

BTW, there was an unreleased Hello Kitty themed Pocket Camera rom in the latest gigaleak. With so many variations of the Pocket Camera now, I see it more as another cartridge mapper instead of just a hardware accessory.

YOur probably right about MBC1M, I was just going by Richard's list he linked to before a few pages back.

On a side note from reading on another list it seems that Kiss related stuff is disabled on Super Gameboy and Gameboy Player. Same with rumble features of the MBC5. The Camera works on both assuming you have a real camera. I wonder if it would be possible to mod the camera to turn it into a flashcart to run the various roms?

An interesting feature though is a handful of GBA roms that are 'enhanced' on a Gameboy player and pass a rumble feature to the gamecube controller. Plus if you use the goomba emulator on the gameboy player you can access rumble support on the GBC games that had rumble!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 06:11 PM by Galron »

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 13, 2020, 07:30 PM »

YOur probably right about MBC1M, I was just going by Richard's list he linked to before a few pages back.

On a side note from reading on another list it seems that Kiss related stuff is disabled on Super Gameboy and Gameboy Player. Same with rumble features of the MBC5. The Camera works on both assuming you have a real camera. I wonder if it would be possible to mod the camera to turn it into a flashcart to run the various roms?

An interesting feature though is a handful of GBA roms that are 'enhanced' on a Gameboy player and pass a rumble feature to the gamecube controller. Plus if you use the goomba emulator on the gameboy player you can access rumble support on the GBC games that had rumble!

The list was mostly based off a Wika entry but should still be accurate, sadly as there have been so many gigaleaks I have lost track of what their is to obtain and would just wait till the moment of time it all gets added to a No Intro set as I was done with my ideal EDGB years ago hence why I called it the final version, all available variants of each accessory that every rom was based off has been properly organized from ones that used a camera add on to obscure ones like a sewing machine accessory to even the mappers of each and every game... well those that existed years back.

I do love a huge variant of boarders to use between all non enhanced SGB games but I was pretty sufficient with the physical released games while their are many more in the woodwork I will likely never get to see in my lifetime xD

Post changed:

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2020, 10:51 PM »
Continuing a discussion here since limits to private messages...Shantae came out after GBA was released. So they included some extra features in it including different color background, and it also unlocked some other gameboy advance only features.

Unlike how super gameboy had preprogrammed palettes for a handful of popular games I don’t know if GBA had any preprogrammed color pallettes to modify brightness of colors.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 13, 2020, 11:30 PM »
Continuing a discussion here since limits to private messages...Shantae came out after GBA was released. So they included some extra features in it including different color background, and it also unlocked some other gameboy advance only features.

Unlike how super gameboy had preprogrammed palettes for a handful of popular games I don’t know if GBA had any preprogrammed color pallettes to modify brightness of colors.

Ah I see, guess I miscalculated a folder of GBC games that had GBA enhancements… sad to say I never owned a Gameboy Player so I really wasn't aware of this issue that sometimes made colors a lot more enhanced for a GBA screen locking off a GBC pallet unless a hack changed it to play it with default colors.

I think the only GBC game I physically owned around the time the GBA came out was Donkey Kong Country which I presume must have had enhancements on a GBA too and likely that GBC only cart of Donkey Kong Land 3 too?

Post changed:

Offline The Unboxing Authority

• View Profile
    • ChristianCourts.com
« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2020, 12:23 AM »
I think I heard a roomer that the Furious Firmware with Save States and Super Gameboy 2 Firmware were going to be combined, so people didn't have to switch back and forth between them?
Is there any news on if this has been done yet, or when it will be?

Also along the same line... It seems that when Furious savestate abilities are used, no FX chip can be used at the same time (or Super Gambeoy 2?)
Is there any potential way around this, where the Super Gameboy 2 + Save States + FX Chips can be used at the same time if needed,
Or SNES + Save States + FX Chips can be used at the same time?

I'm just asking for my upcoming FXPAK PRO videos that I should be recording this week hopefully, as long as the video upscaler / capture devices work correctly and arrive on time. I've had to send back several defective devices, and I just finally got the noise from my power supply eliminated, and I'll be putting out some low quality videos on how I did that this week. I might make a 3rd video about using my Lithium power bank as a power source for the SNES and charging it at the same time, making it a SNES Uninterruptible power supply, without AC signal noise.

I think it will be very cool if I can make a video using a single firmware, to demonstrate Super Gameboy 2 and save states on the SNES, even if all the features can't be used at the same time.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2020, 12:45 AM »
It’s been done already... look about two pages back for a link...

Richard, an interesting detail is that super gameboy and GBC do have Pre programmed colors For various  classic gameboy games. But not necessarily the same games or colors.  Gba even added a bunch of new games including GB/GBC hybrid games to list of preprogrammed games... so hypothetically while there arearound 15-20 games with pallette built into the super gameboy, GBC covered something along the lines of 25-30 games. There may be a coupe that had Preprogrammed colors in sgb, but got default colors in GBC for some reason.