Author Topic: Super Game Boy 2 (Beta)  (Read 13005 times)

Online nuu

• View Profile
Re: Super Game Boy 2 (Beta)
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2020, 01:17 AM »
On a side note from reading on another list it seems that Kiss related stuff is disabled on Super Gameboy and Gameboy Player. Same with rumble features of the MBC5. The Camera works on both assuming you have a real camera. I wonder if it would be possible to mod the camera to turn it into a flashcart to run the various roms?
I'm quite confident that the disabling of GBKISS or rumble is a software thing. The game simply disables the special hardware if an SGB is detected. It's probably fully possible to make an MBC5+rumble game that doesn't disable it. Just not a good idea.

It should be possible to make a Pocket Camera flashcart by replacing the ROM chip for an EEPROM or FLASHROM and program it with the game.

The only GBA enhanced GBC game I remember is the two Zelda Oracle games. In both games there is a special shop with unique items that is only open when a GBA is detected.

Offline The Unboxing Authority

• View Profile
    • ChristianCourts.com
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 01:37 AM by The Unboxing Authority »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 14, 2020, 02:34 AM »
On a side note from reading on another list it seems that Kiss related stuff is disabled on Super Gameboy and Gameboy Player. Same with rumble features of the MBC5. The Camera works on both assuming you have a real camera. I wonder if it would be possible to mod the camera to turn it into a flashcart to run the various roms?
I'm quite confident that the disabling of GBKISS or rumble is a software thing. The game simply disables the special hardware if an SGB is detected. It's probably fully possible to make an MBC5+rumble game that doesn't disable it. Just not a good idea.

It should be possible to make a Pocket Camera flashcart by replacing the ROM chip for an EEPROM or FLASHROM and program it with the game.

The only GBA enhanced GBC game I remember is the two Zelda Oracle games. In both games there is a special shop with unique items that is only open when a GBA is detected.

All of you say maybe possible. But I'm only listing it as "SGB" "feature"  as listed on various sites like TCRF... The code to detect SGB is the game itself, and way SGB reads that code apparently. B ut honestly that's pretty much how all 'special features' work... The code is in each game, and SGB just 'reads' that code, and vice versa.

"The US version contains some fragments of Super Game Boy support, mostly intended to disable the cartridge's rumble functionality. It seems the code was borrowed from Medarot Kabuto, as the Game Genie code 1A1-CBF-91E will display its border when the game is played on a Super Game Boy. "

https://tcrf.net/Hole_In_One_Golf

THe other two games that have Enhanced GBC features that I know of specifically are Shentae unlocks a special mode (tinkerbat dance/transformation) + color differences, and Wendy Every Which Way... There might be other 'minor' color pallete tweaks in some other games but nothing major. Wendy Every Which Way adds another world called Advance WOrld (which opens up three more levels).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 02:38 AM by Galron »

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 14, 2020, 07:53 AM »
Nope these are all SGB enhanced GB or GBC hybrid games games.

GBC only gams will just give a warning screen.

I seem to recall there was one Gameboy COlor game that hidden a secret mini game, some kind of sliding tiles game IIRC. But I can't remember which one if any....

Online nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2020, 02:58 PM »
You mean a GBC game with a minigame that can only be played on a DMG/SGB? That would be interesting. Most GBC exclusive games I've seen just have a warning screen running in DMG mode telling you to play the game on a GBC.

All of you say maybe possible. But I'm only listing it as "SGB" "feature"  as listed on various sites like TCRF... The code to detect SGB is the game itself, and way SGB reads that code apparently. B ut honestly that's pretty much how all 'special features' work... The code is in each game, and SGB just 'reads' that code, and vice versa.
I'm just saying that the disabling of rumble is a feature of the software (game) rather than of the hardware (MBC5).

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2020, 05:14 PM »
Ya, I think I remember readinga bout it on some site a few years ago... but honestly don't feel like going through a hundred games or so to see if it was true or not! But as I remember it poped up the warning screen, but also had a message about pushing start to play a little mini-game. It was either sliding tiles or 'matching tiles' using some graphics form the game itself.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2020, 05:17 PM »
I'm just saying that the disabling of rumble is a feature of the software (game) rather than of the hardware (MBC5).

Ya, but in most/all GB "SGB" features, its all feature of the 'software'. And SGB hardware/firmware/software is then able to read that software and do what it's programed to do with it.... I don't think any of it, sparticuarly on any hardware level, other than software telling hardware what to do... and there eing data only can be played on SGB/SNES hardware.

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2020, 07:02 PM »

Are you saying I can run gameboy advance games on the fxpak pro with the sgb firmware? Your saying gba

Is there anything I need to do to make that work?
[/quote]

There were games for the GB/GBC, like Shantae, that had enhancements when run on a GBA vs a GB/GBC. That is why he referred to the GBA I believe.

Online nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2020, 10:58 PM »

Ya, but in most/all GB "SGB" features, its all feature of the 'software'. And SGB hardware/firmware/software is then able to read that software and do what it's programed to do with it.... I don't think any of it, sparticuarly on any hardware level, other than software telling hardware what to do... and there eing data only can be played on SGB/SNES hardware.
The emulator (or FPGA implementation in this case) must emulate the mapper hardware but not the software. The software is added by the user when he loads a rom image. The rom image contains only game code and data (software), not the mapper hardware.

It matters if this feature (disabling rumble) is done by the hardware or the software, because if it's a software feature it's not universal for MBC5, even if every currently existing MBC5 game with rumble does it. A prototype could show up that haven't implemented it yet, and a homebrewed game could do any crazy thing. These must be taken into consideration when implementing MBC5 support with rumble in an emulator.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2020, 08:38 AM »

The emulator (or FPGA implementation in this case) must emulate the mapper hardware but not the software. The software is added by the user when he loads a rom image. The rom image contains only game code and data (software), not the mapper hardware.

It matters if this feature (disabling rumble) is done by the hardware or the software, because if it's a software feature it's not universal for MBC5, even if every currently existing MBC5 game with rumble does it. A prototype could show up that haven't implemented it yet, and a homebrewed game could do any crazy thing. These must be taken into consideration when implementing MBC5 support with rumble in an emulator.

There is at least one game with unused rumble code already out. It can be reenabled with game genie code... Speaking of gamegenie/other hacks... it might be possible to test your theories by disablign the code in the roms themselves to see how it affects things on an actual Super Gameboy. But you might also need a flashcart with rumble to make this easier to do (there is curently only one option on the market that I know of as of now)....

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2020, 06:23 PM »
It’s been done already... look about two pages back for a link...

Richard, an interesting detail is that super gameboy and GBC do have Pre programmed colors For various  classic gameboy games. But not necessarily the same games or colors.  Gba even added a bunch of new games including GB/GBC hybrid games to list of preprogrammed games... so hypothetically while there arearound 15-20 games with pallette built into the super gameboy, GBC covered something along the lines of 25-30 games. There may be a coupe that had Preprogrammed colors in sgb, but got default colors in GBC for some reason.

As it's now provided I think their is still one error in one of the mappers that nuu pointed out which may need to be corrected, it just needs the GBC Enhancements to GBA section filled in along with the DS link as I wasn't aware of it as my ideal one was just based on working with a SGB (That didn't stop me going through sites upon sites finding out the details and listing every device they could be used with even the N64 mentions XD)

And yeah it likely is possible with Gamegenie to use that, I know a certain code allows only for GBC games to work on a SGB complete with glitches and crashes ingameplay but it's likely worth a try in your lifetime to see what that code does to all locked off games... as it would be for me to see how many SNES games run on a GBA when they are converted in my lifetime.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline nensondubois

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 16, 2020, 02:37 AM »
https://cheapergamer.co.uk/gba-enhanced-gbc-games/

Also it's possible to hack the games to leave the GBA features on permanently even on regular GBC hardware.

Here is a small list of games with unused SGB content...

https://tcrf.net/Akazukin_Chacha_(Game_Boy)

https://tcrf.net/All-Star_Baseball_99_(Game_Boy)

https://tcrf.net/Ballistic_(Game_Boy_Color)

https://tcrf.net/Beethoven:_The_Ultimate_Canine_Caper_(Game_Boy)

https://tcrf.net/Blaster_Master:_Enemy_Below

https://tcrf.net/Animal_Breeder_3

https://tcrf.net/Casper_(Game_Boy)

https://tcrf.net/Dino_Breeder_3:_Gaia_Fukkatsu

https://tcrf.net/Disney%27s_Aladdin_(Game_Boy)

https://tcrf.net/Disney%27s_Beauty_and_the_Beast:_A_Board_Game_Adventure

Actually, a lot of games have unused SGB code but the site owner deemed them to problematic on count of cluttering pages, so some games were removed and I have saved most of my original research notes. A small portion of games list remnants of varying versions of an unknown SDK that was used to develop and select enhancements for the SGB including presets. There are games that actually still have the attribute ATTR_TRN and ATTR_SET overlays intact. Not much else is known about this SDK or if any original developers still have the files used for testing.

Offline nensondubois

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2020, 02:41 AM »

Space Invaders actually is the only games that does run full SNES 65816 code to run Arcade mode. Definitely was possible but developers were mostly lazy to the point of just throwing up a border and mostly bad palettes in their games so we didn't see much of the full potential of the Super Game Boy. A few games did use internal sound effects and the N-SPC sound driver to compose songs and jingles. There was an entire chapter dedicated to using sound samples and SGB music though only 20 games actually ended up with better soundtracks.

There is also an unused and unfinished OBJ_TRN mode that uses the VRAM of the SNES to display 16x16 objects. I discovered how to access it years ago and documented some of the information on how it works. Mario's Picross nearly came close by overlaying the border of the title screen to match the logo.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 02:46 AM by nensondubois »