Author Topic: SD2SNES Pro (fxpakpro) video issues  (Read 1305 times)

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
Re: SD2SNES Pro (fxpakpro) video issues
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2020, 03:23 AM »
you can tell by the Eject button.  If it's painted in white lettering that's the earlier models 90-92 vs. being embossed plastic 92-94, prior to the SNES Jr.  The earlier ones tend to have 4 rubber feet on the bottom vs. just 2.  You can have some slightly faulty hardware in any version, but my experience a few years ago was the older ones didn't hold up as well.  Maybe now they're all falling apart!

Offline themechanicalkoopa

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2020, 04:25 AM »
UPDATE: So I decided to take the plunge. I remembered I had an older SNES in my storage shed that had a broken shell due to an earthquake we had few years ago where it fell off my dresser and hit the tile floor and broke. It was a 1chip board! and I swapped the board out to my current snes shell and the SD2SNES works as it should. So chances are it was the console that was the issue. possibly a power issue or something else causing the glitches. so thankfully my 2hrs worth of tinkering with this has paid off! And I am back in business! Thank you everyone for all the help and suggestions! I may just keep the power supply I bought as a back up just in case so I wont look at that as a wasted purchase. but I did want to thank everyone for their input and suggestions. I was able to make everything work as they should. Can't wait to dig in and start learning randomizers :)

Koopa

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2020, 04:54 AM »
yea Greg2600 I have noticed instances from other fellow streamers of their consoles doing weird things after long hours of speedruns and such. Like I am really surprised that things have held up over the years as they have. Luckily this 1chip board I have hasn't seem much use at all! I am just glad I was able to swap it into this other decent shell I own. The swap took a little tweaking of the shell to get it to fit but was a simple modification. I got it all together working like it should now. Oh and I noticed my original console has the white lettering on the eject button. Interesting piece of info for sure! The eject button from my 1 chip console is casted into the eject button itself. the letters are raised up. I'll definitely have to remember this info for later down the road if I ever go to dig into these systems a bit more. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated :)

Koopa

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2020, 07:08 AM »
The 1Chip SNES was basically the third revision of the console.  My guess is that since your other SNES board worked on standard games, that there's caps on there that need replacement.  However, if you've got it working, you should be okay for now. 

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2020, 08:47 AM »
Just did about a 3hr stream with it and tested several games using the fxpakpro and it works great. I am so relieved to say the least! But yeah I'm gonna have to source a new shell for the other board and get it back into working shape. Also its one of the original release consoles I think. the sound chip is dated 1990 and is detachable. also the rear DC port on it the plastic peg was broken off and you can only see two itty bitty pins on it sticking where that plastic peg should be to support the plug in to the back of the console. not sure if this contributed to the problem but either way I'll send it to a friend of mine who does repairs and see if he can sourse a few items for it and bring it back to good working order to keep as a back up if need be. but it's a good thing I kept that 1 chip console. It took a hit some time ago when it hit the floor during a large quake we had here in southern california. we shake pretty good here. Like the shell was so bad the controller ports broke off and ruined the ribbon cable for it. Then my original console controller ports just quit on me and I robbed the controller ports from the 1chip board and swapped them over. thankfully I saved it cause it just saved my life today! Took a little modifying of the UN1 shell to fit the 1chip board into it but I made it work perfectly :) and I am back in business! As u can see the shell for the 1 chip was pretty beat up but just thankful I still had it. I hope this board can be repaired.

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2020, 08:49 AM »
I forgot to add the photo of the broken shell lol

Offline Jdurg

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2020, 09:15 AM »
Hey Koops!   8)  The SNES is unfortunate in that the back plate of it with the power plug is all one piece.  So the entire part would need to be removed.  Thankfully, the back part there is reproduced and readily available.  If you ever need that taken care of, I think you know a few people able to help out. 

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2020, 10:31 AM »
yo jdurg!!! right on! I didn't even know that! That's awesome! and so good to know! I was so glad I was able to get things swapped out and can't wait to see what I can find for replacement parts. hopefully I can get that taken care of at some point soon. might even have someone check the caps for me as well. bring this baby back to life again :) I'm just surprised I was able to make things happen today when I did. and now everything works as it should. Now if I can just figure out how to make the save states work lol. I heard there's firmware for it that gives u like 5 saves locally with the sd2snes but I want to use my pc and utilize the sd2snes to it's full potential :)

Offline PCastro

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2020, 06:03 PM »
Just did about a 3hr stream with it and tested several games using the fxpakpro and it works great. I am so relieved to say the least! But yeah I'm gonna have to source a new shell for the other board and get it back into working shape. Also its one of the original release consoles I think. the sound chip is dated 1990 and is detachable. also the rear DC port on it the plastic peg was broken off and you can only see two itty bitty pins on it sticking where that plastic peg should be to support the plug in to the back of the console. not sure if this contributed to the problem but either way I'll send it to a friend of mine who does repairs and see if he can sourse a few items for it and bring it back to good working order to keep as a back up if need be. but it's a good thing I kept that 1 chip console. It took a hit some time ago when it hit the floor during a large quake we had here in southern california. we shake pretty good here. Like the shell was so bad the controller ports broke off and ruined the ribbon cable for it. Then my original console controller ports just quit on me and I robbed the controller ports from the 1chip board and swapped them over. thankfully I saved it cause it just saved my life today! Took a little modifying of the UN1 shell to fit the 1chip board into it but I made it work perfectly :) and I am back in business! As u can see the shell for the 1 chip was pretty beat up but just thankful I still had it. I hope this board can be repaired.

Hi, mine broke, I got it in:
https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/32828780937.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.37d22e0ex2HUkV

Offline Greg2600

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2020, 08:22 PM »

You literally described the early SNES revision to a T.  The power peg often breaks, shell turns yellow, caps fail, and worst of all, the CPU itself dies.  And yes, the SNES while rare does have CPU's that flat out croak which on a retro console is not that common.

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2020, 08:38 PM »
yeah that's what happened to mine. the peg broke off at some point. like I didn't even know it broke. it just wasn't there anymore lol. luckily I never used my 1chip console very much at all so it should last me a little while (knocks on wood) btw PCastro, are those back plates easy to replace? or do they require soldering? also what's the word on the super famicom system and it's internals? I doubt they're any better or worse after learning the ropes of the snes NTSC consoles a bit the past couple days. Just curious if it's even worth looking into getting one. let alone if they even had 1chip revisions at all.

Offline Jdurg

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2020, 09:50 PM »
Hey Koops.  Yes, soldering would be involved in replacing the power jack in the back of the console.  The power jack is kind of molded into the plastic thing back there.  Here's a good video showing how to replace it:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjx--LPZXek