Author Topic: File Name Length Issue on GG X7  (Read 1224 times)

Offline guybrushtw

• View Profile
File Name Length Issue on GG X7
« on: February 08, 2021, 10:40 PM »
Hi there.

So, I've been writing roms for Game Gear and I purchased an Everdrive GG X7 to play them on real hardware.

The name of my rom was "snek.gg" and it ran fine in emulators. But on the ED GG X7 the rom would say "Unknown ROM format".

I got in contact with the developer of devkitSMS I was using to make roms, and we noticed something. I have two copies of Sonic Triple Trouble:

• Sonic The Hedgehog - Triple Trouble (USA, Europe).gg
  • sontt.gg

He ran a diff on the two files and the roms are identical.

However, the ED X7 GG fails to run "sontt.gg" with the same error about "Unknown Rom Format".

Mean while, the ED X7 GG runs "Sonic The Hedgehog - Triple Trouble (USA, Europe).gg" just fine.

This lead us to the conclusion that file name was the issue.

I renamed my rom from "snek.gg" to "snek12345.gg" and then it ran fine on the Everdrive!

For reference, I have the latest "SMSOS-v1.04.zip" files on my Everdrive.

Probably should address this in a future update, because the only thing preventing some roms from being recognized is file names under 9 characters long!

- Guybrush.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Re: File Name Length Issue on GG X7
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 01:25 AM »
Hi there.

So, I've been writing roms for Game Gear and I purchased an Everdrive GG X7 to play them on real hardware.

The name of my rom was "snek.gg" and it ran fine in emulators. But on the ED GG X7 the rom would say "Unknown ROM format".

I got in contact with the developer of devkitSMS I was using to make roms, and we noticed something. I have two copies of Sonic Triple Trouble:

• Sonic The Hedgehog - Triple Trouble (USA, Europe).gg
  • sontt.gg

He ran a diff on the two files and the roms are identical.

However, the ED X7 GG fails to run "sontt.gg" with the same error about "Unknown Rom Format".

Mean while, the ED X7 GG runs "Sonic The Hedgehog - Triple Trouble (USA, Europe).gg" just fine.

This lead us to the conclusion that file name was the issue.

I renamed my rom from "snek.gg" to "snek12345.gg" and then it ran fine on the Everdrive!

For reference, I have the latest "SMSOS-v1.04.zip" files on my Everdrive.

Probably should address this in a future update, because the only thing preventing some roms from being recognized is file names under 9 characters long!

- Guybrush.

I think it may have been easier to rename it Game G-Snake though I know in the world of PD roms a lot of duplicate names can arise from that so likely the 12345 works better... I tend to name my projects that as well as sometimes I usually put a 1 before it then a 2 for a different file and so on even going as far as naming it ZZZZZZ if I have to xD
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline soulfunkdjx

• View Profile
Re: File Name Length Issue on GG X7
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 10:47 AM »
Just rename the rom with more letters on title.