Author Topic: ED GBA X5 crashes when using Game Boy Player, every time  (Read 4679 times)

Offline dogman91

• View Profile
Re: ED GBA X5 crashes when using Game Boy Player, every time
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2021, 05:56 AM »
Going to order an Everdrive x5 mini and see if the freezing stops... looking at various forum threads in the past there's been problems before with the Everdrive and Game Boy Player for some reason. I think maybe the problem is the one I have is too old basically (it's the first revision Everdrive GBA I got through preorder back in 2016).

Though I guess maybe it is playing the lottery if the PCB isn't faulty or something when ordering a new one? Since I read it's been happening to people with revision B boards.

At the very least I know it is under warranty if this new one acts up.

Speaking of which how many games did you play on it before you ran into that issue?
I played 4-5 games or so on it to completion on my GBA SP and only ran into the freezing issues occasionally, enough to ignore I guess. Just got a Game Boy Player a year ago or so running Swiss + Game Boy Interface and it's literally guaranteed to do it every time with every game somehow.

Every real cart I use on the Game Boy Player works perfectly fine with no freezing which is what makes me think it's the Everdrive and not the Game Boy Player itself.

Here's a short compilation on the freezes I made just now; with most games it happens at random spots but Donkey Kong Country for some reason consistently crashes at the menu: https://youtu.be/VV64GvAgjcA
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 05:57 AM by dogman91 »

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2021, 06:05 AM »
Going to order an Everdrive x5 mini and see if the freezing stops... looking at various forum threads in the past there's been problems before with the Everdrive and Game Boy Player for some reason. I think maybe the problem is the one I have is too old basically (it's the first revision Everdrive GBA I got through preorder back in 2016).

Though I guess maybe it is playing the lottery if the PCB isn't faulty or something when ordering a new one? Since I read it's been happening to people with revision B boards.

Speaking of which how many games did you play on it before you ran into that issue?
I played 4-5 games or so on it to completion on my GBA SP and only ran into the freezing issues occasionally, enough to ignore I guess. Just got a Game Boy Player a year ago or so running Swiss + Game Boy Interface and it's literally guaranteed to do it every time with every game somehow.

Every real cart I use on the Game Boy Player works perfectly fine with no freezing which is what makes me think it's the Everdrive and not the Game Boy Player itself.

Here's a short compilation on the freezes I made just now; with most games it happens at random spots but Donkey Kong Country for some reason consistently crashes at the menu: https://youtu.be/VV64GvAgjcA

It almost looks like the SD card is failing and not the everdrive itself, like for example I used to have a 2GB SD card that worked on the Super Card SD and when it stopped running at random times I had that same issue... which seems to happen when the card runs dry if that's possible.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline dogman91

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2021, 06:22 AM »

It almost looks like the SD card is failing and not the everdrive itself, like for example I used to have a 2GB SD card that worked on the Super Card SD and when it stopped running at random times I had that same issue... which seems to happen when the card runs dry if that's possible.

Ah I wish I can say that was it! I tried two other SD cards I had lying around and unfortunately the same issues were there. Thanks for the suggestion, got a bit of hope for a second haha.

I wonder if it's also possible the Game Boy Player has some compatibility issue(?) that can be addressed in an OS update somehow. Though this problem doesn't seem to be universal for everyone.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2021, 11:32 AM »
Swiss+GBI works fine on my X5. Could it be the roms? Are you using no-intro dumps of roms?

save state would always break midway into the game causing that sound... to this day I await the day the X5 can decrypt roms that have hacks on them ^^
Hacks are not technically any different from non-hacks. This is probably a problem with the emulator.

Offline dogman91

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2021, 03:41 PM »
Yep, the No-Intro set. I just ordered a new X5-mini and hoping that will solve it for now.

I tried different rom versions of DKC as well. I'm assuming my current cart is just defective. Though I hope putting these Everdrive X5's in the Game Boy Player doesn't shorten the life of it with a voltage incompatibility or something like that, since I notice it crashes way less on a GBA SP.

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2021, 03:44 PM »
Yep, the No-Intro set. I just ordered a new X5-mini and hoping that will solve it for now.

I tried different rom versions of DKC as well. I'm assuming my current cart is just defective. Though I hope putting these Everdrive X5's in the Game Boy Player doesn't shorten the life of it with a voltage incompatibility or something like that, since I notice it crashes way less on a GBA SP.

um there is no voltage incompatibility

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2021, 12:14 PM »
Voltage should be fine, GBA uses 3V in GBA mode and 5V in GBC mode.

Offline shiggypoo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2021, 06:19 PM »
A few years ago I had a faulty EverDrive GBA X5 that would only crash when used in a GameBoy Player.  Tried 3-4 GameCube systems with GameBoy Players and every one of them would crash (and diagnostics would fail) yet it would work fine in the GBA portable systems I tried it in.  It was the oddest thing but I got a different cartridge and it worked perfectly in everything up until I sold it for my X5 Mini.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2021, 09:27 PM »
A few years ago I had a faulty EverDrive GBA X5 that would only crash when used in a GameBoy Player.  Tried 3-4 GameCube systems with GameBoy Players and every one of them would crash (and diagnostics would fail) yet it would work fine in the GBA portable systems I tried it in.  It was the oddest thing but I got a different cartridge and it worked perfectly in everything up until I sold it for my X5 Mini.

Kind of sealed the deal why I resisted getting the X5 GBA everdrive for so many years after getting the original GB Everdrive, what was the fun of it when you couldn't play it on a TV's Super Gameboy... the enhanced boarders far made it a better value despite the GBA X5 being the ultimate emulation station.

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2021, 04:28 PM »
Shiggypoo's X5 was faulty though. Everdrive GB should work on SGB and both Everdrive GB and GBA should work on Game Boy Player (with or without GBI), or else something is probably wrong with the Everdrive.

Offline dogman91

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2021, 10:45 PM »
Turned out the GBA Everdrive X5 I had WAS faulty. The new X5 mini I have now passes all the diagnostic tests and runs perfectly on the Game Boy Player. So I guess if you had one of the earlier revisions it's a crap shoot in that sense.

I am happy now though!

Yeah the Everdrive GB I have which is a really early one works fine on the Super Game Boy + Super Game Boy 2 + Game Boy Player. Unless you mean you can't plug the GBA Everdrive into a Super Game Boy for the borders... that's why I got both really.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2021, 01:30 AM »
Turned out the GBA Everdrive X5 I had WAS faulty. The new X5 mini I have now passes all the diagnostic tests and runs perfectly on the Game Boy Player. So I guess if you had one of the earlier revisions it's a crap shoot in that sense.

I am happy now though!

Yeah the Everdrive GB I have which is a really early one works fine on the Super Game Boy + Super Game Boy 2 + Game Boy Player. Unless you mean you can't plug the GBA Everdrive into a Super Game Boy for the borders... that's why I got both really.

Yeah I see your point the GBA everdrive couldn't run boarders so that's where goomba came in as it has a burn image variant that cannot be interchangeable when changing games, unlike the Everdrive GB on a SGB which had interchangeable boarders of any game that could run them to be played on any other game that didn't have them when the main menu is accessed again.

Post changed:

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2021, 01:52 PM »
Yes you really need both EDGB and EDGBA. Playing on Goomba is mostly emulation which mostly defeats the point of a flashcart. Nothing beats playing games on the real original hardware.