Author Topic: Goomba saving  (Read 20613 times)

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
Goomba saving
« on: September 01, 2016, 11:23 AM »
I was playing Metroid II - Return of Samus and just before loading it i set the save type to scram and seems like its working fine only if KRIKzz can make it auto would be sweet

Offline nihlathak

• View Profile
Re: Goomba saving
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 02:34 PM »
Thanks, I'll test this tonight.
SD2SNES | ED-GBA X5 Mini | ED-64 v3 | Mega ED X7 | ED-GB X7 | ED N8 Famicom | ED N8 NES | Master ED X7 | ED GG X7 | Joyzz | PSIO | GDEmu | GCLoader

Offline CLE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 10:11 PM »
Well, so far, I'm getting save the game in Goomba Color emulator without problems. But really you have to mess with "Sram" manually.

1- Select GB/GBC game;
2- Choose "select only";
3- Press Select and go to Options and change Save Type "OFF" for "SRAM";
4- Push Start for charge the game.
5- If you play again this game and for you don't lose your last save, repeat the procedure and then go to GBASYS - SAVE - "GB/GBC game .srm" and select "Copy File To Sram".

Offline CharlieF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 04:41 AM »
I go through step 4 and save in the game as normal.
Then I turn off system and turn back on.
There will be nothing created in the save folder.
I think when I start a new game, it writes the one in memory to a file.
Then I fololow your step 5.
That seems to work for me, but it didn't once so I need to test those steps more.

Well, so far, I'm getting save the game in Goomba Color emulator without problems. But really you have to mess with "Sram" manually.

1- Select GB/GBC game;
2- Choose "select only";
3- Press Select and go to Options and change Save Type "OFF" for "SRAM";
4- Push Start for charge the game.
5- If you play again this game and for you don't lose your last save, repeat the procedure and then go to GBASYS - SAVE - "GB/GBC game .srm" and select "Copy File To Sram".

Offline nihlathak

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2016, 01:26 AM »
Was "Select only" removed in GBAOS v1.05? Either way, tried this with The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX. Manually set "Save Type" to "SRAM", got the sword and saved my game. I then power cycled my GBA and searched for the .srm save, but it wasn't created. Do different games use different save options?
SD2SNES | ED-GBA X5 Mini | ED-64 v3 | Mega ED X7 | ED-GB X7 | ED N8 Famicom | ED N8 NES | Master ED X7 | ED GG X7 | Joyzz | PSIO | GDEmu | GCLoader

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 01:54 AM »
OS v1.10 has native support of goomba and pocketnes, you don't even need to make emulation packs, cart can run .gb, .gbc and .nes files right from menu and loads emulators on the fly

Offline Floob

• View Profile
    • Retrogaming on a Raspberry Pi
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2016, 02:18 AM »
OS v1.10 has native support of goomba and pocketnes, you don't even need to make emulation packs, cart can run .gb, .gbc and .nes files right from menu and loads emulators on the fly

Thats amazing! Thanks Krikzz.
Retro Gaming on the Raspberry Pi
http://www.youtube.com/c/SmartretroCoUk-Gaming

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 02:47 AM »

For being a first time buyer of any of your Everdrive flashcarts im very impressed in the support so far :)

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2016, 02:52 AM »
Only problem I found so far setting any option within Goomba does not save the options I selected for example color palette as I set it to gray scale for GB roms then reboot and its back to this "Wario Blast" palette if you can look into that it be awesome @KRIKzz

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2016, 03:08 AM »
Only problem I found so far setting any option within Goomba does not save the options I selected for example color palette as I set it to gray scale for GB roms then reboot and its back to this "Wario Blast" palette if you can look into that it be awesome @KRIKzz
Cart makes individual save file for each game which runs on emulator, save file inlude emulator config and game save data. So your settings will be applied only when you play game which you played when you change options.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 03:17 AM by KRIKzz »

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2016, 03:14 AM »
Cart makes individual save file for each game which runs on emulator, save file inlude emulator config and game save data. So your settings will be applied only when you play game which you played when you change options

Well this game doesn't have a saving option for the game so that wont help the game is Navy Seals

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 03:18 AM »
Cart makes individual save file for each game which runs on emulator, save file inlude emulator config and game save data. So your settings will be applied only when you play game which you played when you change options

Well this game doesn't have a saving option for the game so that wont help the game is Navy Seals

Oh, seems like i realize what you mean, but looks like emulator itself does not save this option, so, i can't do anything here. Just tried to run goomba on PC via gba emulator and effect is same

Offline StarDust4Ever

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 03:54 AM »
Hot-diggity!  ;D

I am curious, for those Game Boy color games that use the RTC like Pokemon, does the Goomba EMU utilize the RTC? If not that's fine, but considering the GB ED don't have an RTC, it may be useful. Not that it matters much since the Pokemon games are partially broke on the GBA X5 considering they reset the RTC for all games each time you start a new file on one of the ROMs.

EDIT: I added Goomba and PocketNES. I booted up "WarioLand 3 (World).gbc". Worked great. Played through the intro and saved. Power off GBA. Restart and progress was not saved... :'(

EDIT2: Red light on X5 does not flash when saving to SRAM in game using Goomba. Hit L+R to access menu and manually save current state. The red light on the X5 flickers showing that data was recorded. Next time you load the Game Boy or Color Game, it will start with current SRAM, even if you never actually resume from the save state you created. You must save state from the Goomba Menu to record your progress... ;)

EDIT3: Auto save / auto load option from saving sub-menu on NES games is buggy. Do not use. You will crash the game and boot into an unrecoverable state. Delete save using PC file manager and start over...  :'(
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 05:39 AM by StarDust4Ever »

Offline Floob

• View Profile
    • Retrogaming on a Raspberry Pi
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 05:45 AM »
When playing a GB game with Goomba (Super Mario Land) the in-game Save State option works fine. But if you quit and re-load you cant find the save state anywhere. Is this not supported when using the GBA-Ed?
I think the .srm save is fine, although I havent tried it much - its just the save states I have trouble with.

Load States on PocketSnes (Castlevania) seem to work fine.

EDIT 1: I was using Goomba GB - Now I'm using Goomba GBC load states are fine, but it doesnt seem to remember my palette choice (or any Goomba settings).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 06:21 AM by Floob »
Retro Gaming on the Raspberry Pi
http://www.youtube.com/c/SmartretroCoUk-Gaming

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 11:40 AM »
All those saves problem must be related to emulators, if they do not write in-game saves to save ram, then progress can not be saved. Probably emulators uses regular cpu ram for in-game saves data, and copying all stuff to save ram only when you use save state option in emulator menu.
RTC does not working for emulators, unless gba rtc support will be included in some emulators.