Author Topic: DUAL CIC with toggle switch  (Read 12382 times)

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
DUAL CIC with toggle switch
« on: December 05, 2012, 01:59 AM »
krikzz....in theory can 2 CIC chips be wired to the PCB and then to a switch to allow 7101 + 6105 or 6102 + 6105  for a possible 100% games library?
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: DUAL CIC with toggle switch
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 03:16 AM »
possible

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:50 AM »
i aint brave enough to test hopefully some one on here will lol

Offline hugocraft

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 05:28 PM »
I'm in the USA so I have all NTSC stuff including the n64 so I ordered the everdrive64 with NTSC chip but the specs say

" region free. we can play pal ROM on ntsc system and vice-versa "

http://krikzz.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54

so I should be able to play pal roms right?

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 10:12 PM »
I'm in the USA so I have all NTSC stuff including the n64 so I ordered the everdrive64 with NTSC chip but the specs say

yes you can, i can play ntsc roms on my pal system so should work other way round :)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 01:23 AM »
krikzz....in theory can 2 CIC chips be wired to the PCB and then to a switch to allow 7101 + 6105 or 6102 + 6105  for a possible 100% games library?

It technically still won't be 100% compatibility since there are a few other games that still won't work.

Just note that some NTSC systems (like mine) will output a black and white image when playing PAL games no matter if your TV supports PAL or not. PAL systems seems to have no problem playing NTSC games though.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 04:35 AM »

yes you can, i can play ntsc roms on my pal system so should work other way round :)

You can play pal games, but you can't use your cart with pal n64.

Quote from: nuu
Just note that some NTSC systems (like mine) will output a black and white image when playing PAL games no matter if your TV supports PAL or not. PAL systems seems to have no problem playing NTSC games though.
Right. Sometimes PAL systems also output grayscale when playing NTSC games, in depends of your TV, cuz not all TV supports PAL60. I not sure if there any TV which supports NTSC50 (this mode when playing PAL game on NTSC n64)

Offline hugocraft

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 06:15 AM »

You can play pal games, but you can't use your cart with pal n64.

Quote from: nuu
Right. Sometimes PAL systems also output grayscale when playing NTSC games, in depends of your TV, cuz not all TV supports PAL60. I not sure if there any TV which supports NTSC50 (this mode when playing PAL game on NTSC n64)

So with my NTSC everdrive, NTSC n64, and NTSC tv, how will pal games look for me?

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 03:18 PM »
I heard NTSC TVs usually don't support PAL (but I don't really know since I have a PAL TV) so it might be black and white. And even if you are lucky enough to have a TV that supports PAL or you use a PAL>NTSC converter it might still be in black and white depending on your N64. As I maybe already said I have a PAL TV and a Japanese N64 and still can't play PAL games in color with that setup.

OK I have two questions about this too:

1) I plan to use my NTSC ED64 in a PAL machine with a converter but I heard cheating devices might damage the ED64, and some converters have a cheating function built in. But I should be OK as long as I get a converter with no cheating functions right?

2) If I use a PAL game with a 7101 CIC in the back of the converter the boot emulator should take care of the rest and I should be able to play all games in the ED64 like normal right?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:28 PM by nuu »

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 03:48 PM »
sony trinatron supports pal games on a ntsc n64. not sure if trinatrons can be picked up second hand these days but it's a great crt tv for retro gaming fair play.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 05:00 PM »
What does the TV matter if the console itself have trouble outputing a color picture with PAL games? As I said I have a PAL TV and PAL games are still black and white for me.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 11:47 PM »
yeah you would think that the tv ain't important but the trinatron is capable of displaying the pal image through a ntsc 64 in colour where as my large screen plasma samsung tv plays pal games with black and white unstabble grayscale. tbh there is only one game i cant play in colour on my samsung and that premier manager 64. some pal games work nicely after being patched and some others that don't have been released as ntsc full game prototypes. if theres a pal game that anyone cant get to play in colour other than premier manager 64 pm me and i will point you to a version which will work.

Offline KRIKzz

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2012, 10:03 AM »
I heard NTSC TVs usually don't support PAL (but I don't really know since I have a PAL TV) so it might be black and white. And even if you are lucky enough to have a TV that supports PAL or you use a PAL>NTSC converter it might still be in black and white depending on your N64. As I maybe already said I have a PAL TV and a Japanese N64 and still can't play PAL games in color with that setup.

1) I plan to use my NTSC ED64 in a PAL machine with a converter but I heard cheating devices might damage the ED64, and some converters have a cheating function built in. But I should be OK as long as I get a converter with no cheating functions right?

2) If I use a PAL game with a 7101 CIC in the back of the converter the boot emulator should take care of the rest and I should be able to play all games in the ED64 like normal right?

ED64 may not work if some cheat device is attached, but i don't really think that ed64 may be damaged. Should work fine if you will use some adatper with cic7101 and without cheating functions

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2012, 10:38 PM »
yeah you would think that the tv ain't important but the trinatron is capable of displaying the pal image through a ntsc 64 in colour where as my large screen plasma samsung tv plays pal games with black and white unstabble grayscale. tbh there is only one game i cant play in colour on my samsung and that premier manager 64. some pal games work nicely after being patched and some others that don't have been released as ntsc full game prototypes. if theres a pal game that anyone cant get to play in colour other than premier manager 64 pm me and i will point you to a version which will work.
OK you have first-hand experience so there's no reason not to believe it. PAL and NTSC holds many mysteries.

ED64 may not work if some cheat device is attached, but i don't really think that ed64 may be damaged. Should work fine if you will use some adatper with cic7101 and without cheating functions
OK Thank you. I thought it sounded strange that it could be damaged by such a thing.