Author Topic: farewell guys  (Read 10366 times)

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
farewell guys
« on: August 12, 2013, 01:03 AM »
im slowly selling my retro collection due to having a 3 week old baby boy, think its time for me to grow up lol but seriously just not having the spare time to play anything, already sold my sd2snes on ebay for £160 and also my everdrive MD for £90, pretty good eh..anyway il be keeping my jaguar just incase krikzz releases a jagED ;) haha, wont be seeing much of me around these forums (i kno wot ur thinkin...lol...thank god) just incase ppl are wondering about my ebay listings simply search "everdrive" im the seller dvd2vcd2012 ;) peace out :)
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline rimsky82

• Avid Cheater
    • View Profile
    • GameHacking.org
Re: farewell guys
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 03:02 AM »
I have 3 kids, I still collect and play.

My 5-year-old plays my retro consoles all the time, just like I did at his age.

Offline snstay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 04:17 AM »
Hate to see you go. And just because you have kids dosnt mean you have to "grow up". Ive got 2 and both of them love my retro systems. And its fun playing with them just keep flash carts.

Offline goombakid

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 06:31 AM »
Congrats. But yeah, you really don't need to get rid of all your retro stuff. You can do just as I did and stop collecting for a while. Hardest thing to do ever, but in the end, satisfying. I have a 5 year old who just loves watching me play Sonic and Mario. She'll want to jump on to play as Tails on Sonic 2. I also have a 22 month old boy. I''ll be sure to let him have fun with my retro games. That's most of the fun; watching your kids play and have fun with your old stuff.

Any other way, though. Good luck.

Offline Troyus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 07:14 AM »
I agree with the posters here. Playing with your,boy in a few years will be,sweet!

Anyway best of luck!
Flash carts: game gear ED, megadrive ED, SNES ED, nintendo64 ED, N8 ED, GB ED, GBA ED, PSIO

Offline Bernie

• doooogamit....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 09:45 AM »
Shit!  I've got  18, 14, year old daughters and 3 .month old daughter, and I find time to play... Don't do it, you WILL regret it...

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 02:38 PM »
sorry to see you leave mate. i wouldn't sell my gaming stuff no matter what lol.

Offline Hanafuda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 03:47 PM »
Well, first things first ... Congratulations! My oldest is now 20 and my youngest is 10, so I have a bit of envy. They don't do much but eat, shit, and sleep for the first 6 months, but soon after it gets to be really one of the most special experiences of life.

As for selling off the toys, despite what everyone here is saying (which I more or less agree, btw), becoming a responsible parent does require at least some symbolic sacrifice of your previous lifestyle, and if this is how it manifests in your situation, then so be it. Hopefully it's not just because some of those around you (like the mother, her mother, and your mother) are pressuring you to give up the games and 'get serious' about the baby. But if that is what's going on, better to respond to their demands right now - at least superficially. (On the other hand, if this is really about raising money for the child's sake for food, clothing etc., then by all means the toys go first.)

I would advise that, at the very least, you keep the AV Famicom and the ED N8, even if they just get packed up in a box for some years. One day, you and your son will both be glad you did.

Good luck.

Offline reprep

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 05:45 PM »
i will have a baby soon but still increasing my retro collection.
PM me if you want to sell your Everdrive MD.

Offline iddod

• www.soundcloud.com/iddod
    • View Profile
    • my music on soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 07:47 PM »
ahh, you'll be back  ;)

seriously though, i echo the sentiments of everyone else, if the retro thing is in your blood then it'll stay in your blood, regardless of how many bits of your gear you sell... (and for the rest of your life you'll be wanting to replace them again anyway)

ED64 : EDN8 : TurboED : MegaED : EDGG : EDGB : MasterED : EDGBA : SuperED

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 12:29 AM »
i'm obsessed though. it ain't just retro games it's modern games aswell. i seriously don't know what to play anymore. when i'm playing a game i'm feeling guilty that i'm not playing another game on my need to play list. i juggle all this gaming between drumming in a band and recording producing music from home. i don't know what to do with myself, i need therapy lol.
seriously though i love video games with a passion and anything gaming related. i watched "the ecstacy of order - the tetris masters" docu last night and loved it. i also loved "king of kong" i guess for some people gaming (retro gaming) is just in the blood. i reckon dvd2vcd will be having withdrawl symptoms soon lol.

Offline Drakon

• View Profile
    • 16 Bit Gamer
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 02:29 AM »
Time to grow up?  I'd be sharing this stuff with my kids if I have any.

Offline Hanafuda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 06:47 AM »
By the way dvd2vcd, if you read this, you might be pleased to know the Xeno GC install went smoothly on the orange Gamecube. No issues with the laser, either, but I made a few coasters before figuring out the drive in my desktop was giving me dud burns ... switched to my laptop and they work like a charm.

So, thanks again!

Offline dvd2vcd

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 10:55 AM »
By the way dvd2vcd, if you read this, you might be pleased to know the Xeno GC install went smoothly on the orange Gamecube. No issues with the laser, either, but I made a few coasters before figuring out the drive in my desktop was giving me dud burns ... switched to my laptop and they work like a charm.

So, thanks again!
excellent, did you solder it directly to the drive or use wires, installation looks kinda fiddly lol
ED64 v2.5 - MEGAED X7 - TED v2.4 - SD2SNES rev F - EDN8 fami - EDGB X7 rev B

Offline Hanafuda

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 02:33 PM »

So, thanks again!
excellent, did you solder it directly to the drive or use wires, installation looks kinda fiddly lol

I used the 128bit.me 'short wire' technique.

http://128bit.me/index.php?topic=14725.0

It's borderline foolproof, if you have any experience at all with soldering. I needed to use my big magnifying visor to see what I was doing though, and I cut little snippets of solder and laid them in place rather than feed from the coil to limit the amount of solder for each point. It is rather close work.