Author Topic: Will the Red Shell Everdrives return every Black Friday?  (Read 1630 times)

Offline johnyept

• View Profile
Will the Red Shell Everdrives return every Black Friday?
« on: December 12, 2020, 03:56 AM »
I currently only have a Mega Everdrive X5, in the future I'm planning to buy Everdrives for all my consoles from everdrive.me (or any other), one or two at a time on future Black Fridays:

- FXPAK PRO "Transparent Red Shell"
- Everdrive GB X7 "Transparent Smoke" (no red shell available...)
- Everdrive 64 X7 "Transparent Red Shell"
- Mega Everdrive Pro "Transparent Red Shell" to replace the X5
- Everdrive GBA X5 Mini "Transparent Red Shell" <- pushed to last in the hopes of a future GBA X7?

I was aiming initially to "Transparent Smoke" were available, but I loved the "Transparent Red Shell" and I would love to have all my Everdrives within the same color scheme. So my questions are:

- Will this shell color be available every Black Friday from now on?
- Will the Everdrive GB X7 get the same shell color? It only had "Transparent Smoke".
- Can the "Transparent Red Shell" Everdrives be bought with the regular sticker instead of the Christmas themed sticker?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 04:06 AM by johnyept »

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
Re: Will the Red Shell Everdrives return every Black Friday?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 09:32 PM »
I can't speak for what may or may not happen in the future, and it might be best to contact Everdrive.Me directly with these questions. But here are my best guesses:

This is, to my knowledge, the first year they've come out with a "Christmas" or "Holiday" edition shell for any of their carts. My guess is that if they continue the tradition next year it may look different than this years' carts. I know that Everdrive.Me sells extra shells and stickers under their "Accessories" tab, many of which appear to be transparent red. That might be the best way to ensure all your carts are the same color, and that they aren't Holiday themed.

Offline johnyept

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 01:46 AM »
Thanks for the info! I never noticed the Accessories tab before  :-[

I guess your suggestion is the best path to take, and it even gave me a great idea: buy all Everdrives with either the Transparent Red or Smoke shell, and buy the opposite shell as an extra, that way I'll have them all in 2 identical colors!

- FXPAK PRO with "Transparent Red" shell + "Transparent Smoke" extra shell
- Everdrive GB X7 with "Transparent Smoke" shell (no extra shells available for now)
- Everdrive 64 X7 with "Transparent Red" shell + "Transparent Smoke" extra shell
- Mega Everdrive Pro "Transparent Red" shell + "Transparent Smoke" extra shell
- Everdrive GBA X5 Mini "Transparent Smoke" Shell + "Transparent Red" extra shell

I've ask them if they're also planning to make extra shells for Everdrive GB X7, and I'll post the answer here if/when they reply.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 01:58 AM by johnyept »

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 03:45 AM »
Oh, nice. Glad you were able to find a solution that works for you! You'll have to post a pic of all your matching Everdrives once they arrive. Be sure to pick up some MicroSD cards (or SD cards as the case may be) and set them up in advance!

Offline johnyept

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 03:48 PM »
I'm sure I'll eventually take that pic, but unfortunately it will take some years to get them all. There's also a couple of MODEs and other ODEs I also want for the consoles with optical drives, and my monthly budget for retro stuff is very very small, so I'll have to sort which consoles I deem more important... obviously the Mega Drive came first because it was "Everdrived" in 2018's Black Friday :)

I like the "Transparent Red" because it stands out from my retro set of white Kallax shelves + black TV + black/gray/white consoles, any other color for the shells just seem... bland.

The Kallax shelves are the 4x2 square type and have been splitted in half with more shelves, so now I have 16 rectangular shelves, 2 of them will have drawers to hide power strips, Bandridge SCART switches and HDMi switches. It's a work in progress, but hopefully in the end all cables will be almost completely hidden and only the consoles and the Everdrives will be visible, with that nice Transparent Red standing out in 3 of them, plus the GBA (which will also have a shell upgrade when I buy an IPS screen kit) with 2 more Everdrives 8)