Author Topic: Multiple different errors - Halp?  (Read 2630 times)

Offline fridaywitch

• View Profile
Multiple different errors - Halp?
« on: February 26, 2019, 12:36 AM »
Hi there.  New to the forum but a long time fan of the Everdrive-N8.  I got mine from Stone Age Gamer about a year and a half ago and have been seriously loving it.  Recently I found a youtube video claiming to provide mapper 30 support, and as someone who downloaded a nesmaker game someone made, I was dying to try it out, so I copied over the version of V16 that they had and all of a sudden, nothing was working right.  None of my games would load.

So, I copied over the newest V20 RC7 and I starting having all sorts of errors (will get into details soon).
So, I did a hard format of the SD card in FAT (also I tried FAT32), I even tried copying a large file over after format and deleting it to help reorganize any fragmentation (even though a full format shouldn't have left fragments) and then copied over V20 RC7 and like, two games.  Still getting errors.
Tried this on a different SD card, same issue.
Took apart my everdrive and my NES and cleaned all the contacts.  I figured they were clean anyway but the cart had quite the amount of crud on it somehow.  Either ways...

Put it back in, still the same issue.  So here's what it's doing.

Sometimes I'll open a folder or scroll a page and the screen will go blank or show me garbage.
Often times it will try to start a game and just give me a blank screen.
Sometimes it starts up with Error 62 or 63 with a Disk IO error when I try to load a game.

I'm not sure what the issue is.  :(  Halp?

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
Re: Multiple different errors - Halp?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 02:45 AM »
First, I would consider dropping back to RC6 or RC4.

Also, something I've found (and I don't know if it works for everyone) is to forcibly move where the EDFC folder ends up residing on the card.  So if it's the first thing you copied, copy your games first, then copy over the EDFC folder so it ends up in a different sector.  I have no idea why this seems to work for me, but it seems like I usually have to do the process for new firmware twice before it "takes".

Beyond that, I know there are other folks that have had issues with the V20 releases and SD card errors.  If you have an older card, perhaps, maybe give it a shot.  But I'd think at a minimum V16 should work.

If someone else wants to chime in, please do so!

(Also, forgot to mention that I'm not actually getting SD card errors, so what works for me might not have anything to do with what you're experiencing.)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 03:24 AM by Sarge »
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline fridaywitch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 04:34 AM »
I just tried these things with no luck.  I'll try it again with a different size library.  Thank you for the good ideas, they were definitely worth trying out.  Now all I get is a black screen when I turn on the NES with the Everdrive in.  Sometimes I'll get a flash of the screen with the folders but then it turns black super fast.
Sometimes it just sits there with OS Init.  I know that has happened to others and I've tried the fix for those because it blames it on fragmentation.  I'll try it one more time though while I'm currently working on it.  If there is no response to this post within 10 minutes of it posting, then it failed.

Offline fridaywitch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 04:43 AM »
OH MY GOD IT WORKS THANK YOU SO MUCH HOLY COW YEYEYEYEYEY

I just set it to a 64kb allocation and copied just one game folder over first and holy cow yeyeyeyeyeyey

Offline brianvgplayer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 04:50 AM »
Beyond that, I know there are other folks that have had issues with the V20 releases and SD card errors.  If you have an older card, perhaps, maybe give it a shot.  But I'd think at a minimum V16 should work.

(Also, forgot to mention that I'm not actually getting SD card errors, so what works for me might not have anything to do with what you're experiencing.)

The SD card errors on the V20 releases have nothing do with the SD card used and only affect some hardware (which is why only some people have them). The only hardware that I have them on is a top loading NES.

Maybe I misread Krikzz here, but this is the post that said the error didn't have to do with the SD card:
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8187.msg63668#msg63668
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 05:16 AM by brianvgplayer »

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 06:24 PM »
Woo, glad it's working for you!

I'm going to remember the 64KB allocation, perhaps that might solve some issues.  I thought 32KB was the usual recommendation: is that what you were using before?

The SD card errors on the V20 releases have nothing do with the SD card used and only affect some hardware (which is why only some people have them). The only hardware that I have them on is a top loading NES.

Maybe I misread Krikzz here, but this is the post that said the error didn't have to do with the SD card:
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8187.msg63668#msg63668
That problem seems to line up with the problems I was experiencing with Ultima IV with the screen "chopping up", as described there.  Something about my system didn't like everything after RC4.  So yeah, I think you're right in that those problems aren't SD-related.  The problems where I couldn't get a firmware update to fully take, I believe, is SD-related, but only because of something weird with how the card is being read when I put a new version on the SD card.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 06:30 PM by Sarge »
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/