Author Topic: SD2SNES and Battery  (Read 11096 times)

Offline FlashFox

• View Profile
SD2SNES and Battery
« on: August 31, 2014, 10:53 PM »
Hi,

Just a little something I've been thinking about when concerning the SD2SNES and battery life as well as saves. So my questions are.....

Since there are still many original SNES games floating around with still active batteries, would it be safe to assume that the much newer SD2SNES will have a comparable battery life?

I also assume that since saves are placed onto the SD card, there would be no issues if/when the battery was to die out?

Is a battery replacement something that is relatively easy? I would assume so as long as your not butchering it to get the battery out?

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
  • Music and Games are good for the soul.
    • View Profile
Re: SD2SNES and Battery
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 01:00 AM »
It DOES have a battery, and it saves the sram to the sd card instantly.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 03:29 AM by Paulweeze »
Everdrives I own: ED64, Mega Everdrive, EDGB, EDGG, N8, Master Everdrive

Other Flashcarts: SD2SNES

Offline ZeroWing

• Pump up the Jams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 02:29 AM »
It doesnt have a battery, since it saves the sram to the sd card instantly.

Not trying to step on any toes here, but it does indeed have a battery. It's in a horizontal mount 2032 coin holder, so it just pops out and is easily replaced. You probably wouldn't need to replace it for several years though. I have been using mine for almost 2 years now without a problem.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 02:32 AM by ZeroWing »
Mega Everdrive v1> EDN8 fami> ED64 v3> sd2snes > Flash2Advance

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 03:29 AM »
Lol no problem Zerowing, thanks for clearing that up (twas misinformed)! Btw, I know you wouldnt mean to step on my toes, you are a good guy!

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 04:50 PM »
I'd like to point out that the saves aren't even battery backed at the moment ;)
Save data goes to the same RAM chip as the ROM itself and is picked up from there by the microcontroller that saves it to SD card.
There is a second RAM chip on the sd2snes which IS battery backed but it's currently unused. At the moment the battery mainly serves to keep the date and time.
However I am planning to move save data to the battery backed RAM so it may be recovered even in case of power failure or spontaneous self combustion of the SD Card.

Offline Paulweeze

• Video Game Connoisseur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 06:20 PM »
in case of power failure or spontaneous self combustion of the SD Card.
LOL could you imagine that, only the sd card that blows up on ya. Id be scared that it would hurt the SD2SNES at that point (sd cards=$10, SD2SNES=Priceless ;D)
Btw, never knew about the battery but definatly knew that the saves were not saved to one in the first place. Thanks for pointing that out though Ikari!

Offline Jmbarnes101

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 09:30 AM »
Where do the saves go on the SD card? I put it in my computer to add a few Roms and didn't see anything. Do I need to add a folder for this or is it something I won't see? Additionally, how many games can be saved on the card? Thank you.

Offline ZeroWing

• Pump up the Jams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 03:20 PM »
Where do the saves go on the SD card? I put it in my computer to add a few Roms and didn't see anything. Do I need to add a folder for this or is it something I won't see? Additionally, how many games can be saved on the card? Thank you.

The saves are on the SD card in the same place as the roms, have the same name as the rom, but have file extension .srm - A quick easy way to find them is to search your SD card for .srm - as for number of saves I'm guessing it would fall into the file limitation parameters which are "Number of supported files increased to 50000 per card / 16380 per directory"
Mega Everdrive v1> EDN8 fami> ED64 v3> sd2snes > Flash2Advance

Offline AznBlusuazn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 09:46 AM »
Would it be possible to take a SRM file from SNES9X and put it on the SD card and have it work on a SD2SNES?  Thanks.