Author Topic: GBA everdrive rumored to be in the works  (Read 7793 times)

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
GBA everdrive rumored to be in the works
« on: February 17, 2015, 02:40 AM »
Well I didn't do a forum search on here but looking around I don't see a thread about it.

Anyway, for fan's sake, if KRIKzz could implement RTC then it would be definitely worth making a flash cart for.  Personally I don't play games that require RTC But I remember this was a big selling point of the M3 flash cart which I have sitting here and is highly collectible mainly due to that feature.

It's cool to see KRIKzz working on more projects but I was hoping for an NGPC flash cart with SD or MicroSD support rather than another Nintendo flash cart.  There's plenty GBA devices available so far.  If there's a GBA everdrive, the price would have to be under 30 bucks to entice people to it, sans the RTC which I doubt KRIKzz will implement (re: GB Everdrive didn't have it).

Offline Ahuch

• View Profile
Re: GBA everdrive rumored to be in the works
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 03:34 AM »
Well I didn't do a forum search on here but looking around I don't see a thread about it.

Anyway, for fan's sake, if KRIKzz could implement RTC then it would be definitely worth making a flash cart for.  Personally I don't play games that require RTC But I remember this was a big selling point of the M3 flash cart which I have sitting here and is highly collectible mainly due to that feature.

It's cool to see KRIKzz working on more projects but I was hoping for an NGPC flash cart with SD or MicroSD support rather than another Nintendo flash cart.  There's plenty GBA devices available so far.  If there's a GBA everdrive, the price would have to be under 30 bucks to entice people to it, sans the RTC which I doubt KRIKzz will implement (re: GB Everdrive didn't have it).

Since there's now a GBA card with MicroSDHC support, I think it would only make sense for Krikzz to release it with RTC support or 256mb support.

I'd rather give Krikzz my money though, but I'm sure it'd have to make financial sense for him to be able to sell it.

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 08:12 AM »
I don't want to criticize prices or bash KRIKzz design decisions at all but the current GBA flash cart supporting MicroSDHC which just recently came out should have good components in it and likely is a good product.  It lacks RTC but it does support FAT32 so that means it is drag and drop the ROM files onto the MicroSDHC card.  These devices typically dip down in price.

However I have seen it demonstrated that KRIKzz knows how to make really high quality PCB which Chinese devices typically lack, depending on the manufacturer.  Most end users aren't going to know the difference in quality of certain type of components though, especially since it is cased in a plastic shell.

I have also noticed in current 3DS offerings that the R4i 3DS Gold Deluxe has a better circuit board than the Gateway 3DS which is the best flash cart out.  Kinda strange to me but both work.

I'm still wondering why KRIKzz released a GB product which lacks RTC, however understandably he could actually create a new revision that includes RTC if he wants to so who knows.

It does make sense for him to make flash carts for all Nintendo products because they sell best but most people are quickly educated about which products are out.  I'm hoping that, even if I don't buy the KRIKzz flash cart, he puts some features in it that the current competition lacks.  It will be interesting to see.

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 10:41 AM »
I was wondering :
why, because its supports FAT32, it will support drag'n drop files ? I mean, how is it related ?

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 02:58 PM »
I'm still wondering why KRIKzz released a GB product which lacks RTC, however understandably he could actually create a new revision that includes RTC if he wants to so who knows.
He has already stated that there is at least a new EDGB in the plans, though I don't think he's said anything specifically regarding RTC. However, based on his previous work, I'd think it's a good bet that the v2 may support it. EDGB has always been a somewhat low end and relatively cheap flash cart, which is good to have the market. If v2 supports RTC (and possibly other features), the price point may go up considerably. If so, I hope he'll keep both on the market at least for some time.
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline Jiro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 09:18 PM »
I don't want to criticize prices or bash KRIKzz design decisions at all but the current GBA flash cart supporting MicroSDHC which just recently came out should have good components in it and likely is a good product.  It lacks RTC but it does support FAT32 so that means it is drag and drop the ROM files onto the MicroSDHC card.

I thought it still requires patching the ROMs.

And of course it still has the problems I described in http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=2536.0.

Offline olsenn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 03:21 AM »
EDGB has always been a somewhat low end and relatively cheap flash cart

What may I ask makes it low-end? Apart from the RTC, what features is it lacking? Would would more expensive parts (FPGA etc) do except draw more power from the batteries? The EDGB already has near 100% game compatibility as far as I can tell

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 10:44 AM »
Ummm I forgot.  Sometimes my brain isn't working.

This has 3 RTCs built in...

http://www.ic2005.com/shop/product.php?productid=119&cat=4&page=1

and it has been out for a long time.  I dunno why this eludes me so much. I own TWO of these things.  I just haven't ever played GBA roms with it.  I have it installed in my neoflash n64 cart and the other one is probably in my ..ohhh now I remember

I have two N64 flash carts from neoflash.  Both have this product installed in them.

My genesis flash cart has a more inferior SD adapter card in it also.  So I have 3 total and the various GBA carts for the other flash carts they make.

Hmm I should try it out and see if games work right.  I guess this means I don't really need another GBA flash cart lol.

I just did some reading and this is mainly for the N64 flash cart but I think that means the one that came with the Genesis flash cart is more suitable for GBA and it costs a lot less money.  Well I'll try the stuff out when I have time and see.  I was getting ready to buy an EZ Flash IV, might even still buy one anyway.  What I really want is KRIKzz new v2.1 PCE HU Card. :)

edit: just thought I would mention that NeoFlash sites are down for maintenance today so I can't really prove anything about their GBA flash carts for the time being.  I managed to get the cart working with ROMs stored on 2gb microsd inserted in a SD adapter.  Saves seem to get overwritten by each game though.  Without the latest build of the menu, I'm not sure if this has been fixed.

edit again, I got the latest menu from their software revision 1.32 and I can comfirm that their device does indeed support RTC.  However I have some small issue with the save file for pokemon emerald where you have to save twice so that the game saves.  I have been reading that this is pretty much the only reported problem with their device.  God their programmer is so touchy and finicky too.  It took me about 2 hours to get this device up and running properly but it works now.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:13 AM by rocketblast »