Author Topic: Batch unzipping bunch of ROMs  (Read 17505 times)

Offline wilykat

• View Profile
Batch unzipping bunch of ROMs
« on: March 16, 2015, 09:21 PM »
Is there an easy way to do this? Say I got a good romset but every ROMs are zipped in 7z format and ED does not handle compressed ROMs. I've tried a few utilities and they seems to do only one at a time even if I select all of the files and used "uncompress here" option.

I tried Google search but none of the suggestion seemed to work. I think it's because the utilities I tried aren't for 7z format and I couldn't find 7z specific batch unzip option.

I just want every single ROMs unzipped at once, not do it 700 times by hand.

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
  • So many games, too little time
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
Re: Batch unzipping bunch of ROMs
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 09:32 PM »
In Windows Explorer, select (highlight) all the zip files. Then, with 7zip installed, right click any of the selected files, go to the '7zip' context menu item and then select the appropriate option from the menu that comes up. I usually either select 'Extract to "*\"' if I want to unzip them to individual folders (which will be named after the zip file), or 'Extract Here' if I want to extract them to the current folder.

Of course, if you got the goodset, then you're going to unzip all the hacks and stuff too. If you do this all in one go, I could see it either taking a long time or 7zip maybe even crashing. I've done this with multiple No-Intro sets with no problems, though.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 09:33 PM by Mattroid »
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline wilykat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 10:06 PM »
I did not see any 7zip context menu when I select files and right-clicked. Maybe it's not supported under windows 8.1?

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 10:48 PM »
I think there's an option for it when you install 7zip. Looks like you can enable it after the fact as well. Open up the 7-zip file manager, go to Tools > Options... > 7-Zip, then check "Integrate 7-Zip to shell context menu".

You can probably do the same thing within the 7-zip file manager too, without that option, though. Steps may be a bit different.
2600-Harmony Encore; NES-PowerPak, EverDrive N8; GB-EverDrive GB v1; SNES-Super ED v1, SD2SNES; GEN-Mega ED v1; N64-ED64 v2; NGPC-Bung 32Mb, NeoFlashMasta, NeoFlashMasta USB, NGP SD; GBA-EZ-Flash II 256Mb, EZ-Flash IV Redux, ED GBA X5; NDS-R4

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 05:51 AM »
Make sure you load the x64 - 64 bit version. If you don't you won't get the right click options.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 12:00 PM »
You might have to run 7zip once before you get the context sensitive menu. The installer might not activate the menu, only actually running 7zip might do it, I don't know.

Offline Kyle

• Game Genie Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 01:22 PM »
I load 7-Zip on to every PC I touch. You don't have to load it to activate the context menus. It does work fine on 8.1 (run that at work). You just need to load the x64 version if you're running 64 bit. Otherwise no context menus.

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 02:45 PM »
You can mass extract within the 7zip file manager as well, if you can't get the context menu item to show up. Just open up the rom folder within 7zip , select all zip files, then click on Extract at the top. It should default to an extraction path similar to "C:\ROMS\*\" which will extract each zip file to its own folder where the folder name is the same as the zipped file name.

If that's not what you want, then change the path to (in this example) "C:\ROMS\" and it won't create the subfolders and will just put everything in the one folder alongside the zips. Alternatively, you could change it to something like "C:\ROMS\Unzipped\" to easily keep your zipped copies separate from you unzipped copies. Or whatever.

Offline StarDust4Ever

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 02:22 PM »
Select All -> Context Menu -> 7Zip -> Extract Here (place download in target folder first)

Sometimes the massive archive have more archives in them that need to be further unzipped. Now comes the hard part: It varies depending on the Everdrive model but most can't have more than 256 pointers in a menu which translates to ~250 files after you subtract menu actions. The N8 supports a max of 252 files per directory. Files beyond 252 are not displayed.

You will likely end up with a single folder with anywhere from several hundred to thousands of ROMs. You will want to arrange these into subfolders, typically by alphabet. Some common letters like M and S you may need to split if they have more than 250 entries. Likewise you can go ahead and combine uncommon letter groups like UVW and XYZ.

It helps to download the "No Intro" sets which generally omit the bad dumps and alternates which you don't want. You don't want nine bad dumps [b1] [b2] ... [b9] of your favorite game wasting space on the SD card when the [!] is all you need. :o
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 02:26 PM by StarDust4Ever »

Offline Mattroid

• Deluxe Edition
    • View Profile
    • Arcade Crusade
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 06:51 PM »
Now comes the hard part
Nah, it ain't so hard ;) I do agree that the No-Intro sets will make this much easier, though. There are several threads where people have made windows batch files to help do this very thing, sans the max file cap - this part would still need to be checked manually, though maybe one day I'll come up with something more automated.

Here are some useful links to get started. They'll help sort by alpha, region, genre, etc. They may have been created for a specific no-intro set for a specific system, but they can easily be modified to work with another set or whatever. You can also always change the "move" commands to "copy" commands to keep your original file structure in case something doesn't work right and you need start over.

Here's a quick one to do what StarDust4Ever mentions above. Just click Select, then copy and paste this into notepad and save as "Alpha.bat". This was setup to sort GB and GBC roms into roughly the same number of roms per folder (give or take), so it's best to run it as is for other romsets, then go back and change it and rerun as needed. Still easier than doing it all manually :)

Code: [Select]
::CREATE FOLDERS BY ALPHA (BASED ON MORE OR LESS THE SAME NUMBER OF ROMS)
md "0 A"
md "B"
md "C"
md "D"
md "E F G"
md "H I J"
md "K L"
md "M"
md "N O P Q"
md "R"
md "S"
md "T"
md "U V W X Y Z"
::MOVE ROMS TO FOLDERS CREATED
move "0*.*" "0 A"
move "1*.*" "0 A"
move "2*.*" "0 A"
move "3*.*" "0 A"
move "4*.*" "0 A"
move "5*.*" "0 A"
move "6*.*" "0 A"
move "7*.*" "0 A"
move "8*.*" "0 A"
move "9*.*" "0 A"
move "A*.*" "0 A"
move "B*.*" "B"
move "C*.*" "C"
move "D*.*" "D"
move "E*.*" "E F G"
move "F*.*" "E F G"
move "G*.*" "E F G"
move "H*.*" "H I J"
move "I*.*" "H I J"
move "J*.*" "H I J"
move "K*.*" "K L"
move "L*.*" "K L"
move "M*.*" "M"
move "N*.*" "N O P Q"
move "O*.*" "N O P Q"
move "P*.*" "N O P Q"
move "Q*.*" "N O P Q"
move "R*.*" "R"
move "S*.*" "S"
move "T*.*" "T"
move "U*.*" "U V W X Y Z"
move "V*.*" "U V W X Y Z"
move "W*.*" "U V W X Y Z"
move "X*.*" "U V W X Y Z"
move "Y*.*" "U V W X Y Z"
move "Z*.*" "U V W X Y Z"

Two batch files I provided for ED GB, region and alpha: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=2757.msg27242#msg27242

Sorting by region: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=2130.msg21599#msg21599

Sorting by genre: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=2110.0

Another for sorting by alpha: http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=391.msg3660#msg3660

Offline yoloswag420

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 08:02 AM »
if for some reason 7z still isnt showing a context menu, try winrar.