Author Topic: Can someone list problematic Gameboy Advance (and maybe GBC/GB) games?  (Read 9129 times)

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
I know some folk out there have extensive knowledge of which games tend to have difficulty on flash carts.  Can any of you list games that don't work properly on flash carts for these systems?  It might be helpful to KRIKzz or at least people that want to see what compatibility issues they may have with a flash cart.

I want to start testing some stuff but I think it would be better to start with problematic games and then go to known working stuff from there.

Offline wilykat

• View Profile
Just look in the forum, a number of games have been mentioned. For example, Rampage was reported to have problem with sound on GBC.  Some NES and FC games do not work because the mappers may be unsupported.  Populous currently do not work on TED because it requires extra RAM, supposedly fixed in TED 2.0 coming soon.

Some games do not work because the ROM wasn't formatted properly, such as incorrect ROM size or incorrect save RAM size. Those are often fixed easily.  And some ROMs are just bad.

Just so many games.  Less than 1% of all games do not work properly or work at all.

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
Just look in the forum, a number of games have been mentioned. For example, Rampage was reported to have problem with sound on GBC.  Some NES and FC games do not work because the mappers may be unsupported.  Populous currently do not work on TED because it requires extra RAM, supposedly fixed in TED 2.0 coming soon.

Some games do not work because the ROM wasn't formatted properly, such as incorrect ROM size or incorrect save RAM size. Those are often fixed easily.  And some ROMs are just bad.

Just so many games.  Less than 1% of all games do not work properly or work at all.

Hmm I wonder about Donkey kong country 2 (J) gbc and Road Rash GB.  Both of those roms had issues before.  Kirby Tilt 'n Tumble is never going to be properly emulated on a flash cart.  Nobody's going to do it I'm sure.  I own the game and actually I should bring it out again because it was really neat.

But what about GBA roms?  I am finding Boktai and Pokémon are talked about everywhere.  But it appears that the flash cart I have works fine with pokemon rtc and boktai is going to always be a problem because it had a light sensor as well as the rtc.  So are these the only GBA games of concern?  Well I'll have to do some more testing and I should get my gamecube hooked back up to try more stuff.

As far as RTC goes though, it doesn't look like many games use it on either system.  And on N64, KRIKzz makes RTC compatibility for everdrive64 but there's only one game that uses it hehe.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Any game with special hardware will have problem. Not just RTC, light sensor or accelerometer games. There is at least 10 games that uses RTC for GB/GBC and I would guess GBA has at least that many. There are also some mappers that are not stated to be supported by EDGB but I never heard anyone reporting a game yet.

Offline David J.

• View Profile
I could be very very wrong but I swore there is a patch for Boktai somewhere. I wonder if anyone could do something for Kirby though.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
There's a patch that makes it possible to change the sun meter with L/R buttons. Takes a bit of the fun out of it, but it's playable.

Offline Jiro

• View Profile
There is an improved Boktai patch updated just this February; see http://gbatemp.net/threads/boktai-solar-sensor-patch-kit.245127/ .

https://gbatemp.net/threads/problems-with-emulating-a-gba-game-click.26774/ has a list of games with copy protection or hardware requirements.  These should be a problem on flash carts as well as on emulators.

Offline StarDust4Ever

• View Profile
GBA Movie carts. I don't think they've ever been dumped even. Nevermind the codec and framerate are crap.

I have the GBA adapter for Super Retro Trio and my Shriek 1 and Shriek 2 both crashed after a couple seconds of play so clones are a bust. It would be cool to hack them to remove the Game Boy Player restriction.

Offline Jiro

• View Profile
The GBA movie carts have been dumped.  I tried Pokemon vol 1 in an EZ4.  It worked fine.

The biggest set of games that has problems seems to be the Classic NES/Famicom Mini.

Also, another compatibility list: https://gbatemp.net/threads/buying-a-gba-flash-cart-in-2013.341203/page-18#post-4756995
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 09:08 PM by Jiro »

Offline StarDust4Ever

• View Profile
The GBA movie carts have been dumped.  I tried Pokemon vol 1 in an EZ4.  It worked fine.

The biggest set of games that has problems seems to be the Classic NES/Famicom Mini.

Also, another compatibility list: https://gbatemp.net/threads/buying-a-gba-flash-cart-in-2013.341203/page-18#post-4756995
Then why do the movie carts crash when I try to load them on the Retro Advance Port? Yes, I'm aware it is a clone but Nintendo intentionally crippled them from running on the Game Boy Player. Since GBA carts have a max size of 32 mbytes without swapping, I imagine the full legnth movie carts (Shriek, Shriek 2, Shark Tale) may be huge and have issues resulting from swapping scheme. I believe the single episodes may be possible to run without swapping though.

I'll have to try one of my Classic NES carts on the Advance Port. I have several but kinda redundant when I can play the original NES games in the NES port.

EDIT: Don't know why the GBA movies didn't work before. Both Shriek and Shriek 2 are 100% playable on the Retro Advance Port as I skipped through the whole movie. Also I beat my old high score in Donkey Kong and Pacman Classic NES editions. I guess my arcade skills have improved since 10 years ago, LOL. The GBA games look sharper on my CRT than their NES originals somehow! The Retro Advance Port only crashed when I attempted to activate sleep mode, no biggie really. I expect they will work fine on a Flash cart.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:26 PM by StarDust4Ever »

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
There's gotta be more games, just normal ROM cartridge games, that are problematic I would guess.  I wasn't really considering the ones that have special features.  I just meant the regular games.  And movies? lol? who would even bother with those.  I have a tablet I could watch movies on if I cared.  Not much of a movie person here.