Author Topic: [release] alternative ED64 Menu  (Read 328887 times)

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
Re: [release] alternative ED64 Menu
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2013, 09:34 PM »
ah ok,
no it's not outdated savestats aren't working but normal saving is working. ^^

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2013, 09:59 PM »
ah ok,

OK. Thanks for the answers (and for all the work on the OS, which I'm looking forward to trying, along with the enhanced version of Goldeneye's Cradle level http://www.goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=286).

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2013, 12:16 AM »
ah ok,

OK. Thanks for the answers (and for all the work on the OS, which I'm looking forward to trying, along with the enhanced version of Goldeneye's Cradle level http://www.goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=286).

That level looks very cool.

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2013, 01:30 AM »
ah ok,

saturnu, how is the testing for v0.1.8 coming along?

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2013, 10:14 AM »
at first i only wanted to implement a favorite list, but i think i managed to create something that is even cooler :D
you can rate a rom now from common, uncommon, rare, epic to legendary and view a sorted toplist with colored entries. :>
beside of that there is a new option to force the boot-region, for playing betas and prototypes with uncomplete headers.

the rating and the list are done, but i still need to put a selection bar over the list. ^^

Offline Doom

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2013, 03:27 PM »
Wow, very neat idea!  8)

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2013, 04:17 PM »
Hey saturnu, can i ask you what is your job (meaning is it related to your skill for programming ?)

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2013, 04:30 PM »
student of international business administration. ^^

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2013, 04:59 PM »
at first i only wanted to implement a favorite list, but i think i managed to create something that is even cooler :D
you can rate a rom now from common, uncommon, rare, epic to legendary and view a sorted toplist with colored entries. :>
beside of that there is a new option to force the boot-region, for playing betas and prototypes with uncomplete headers.

the rating and the list are done, but i still need to put a selection bar over the list. ^^

That is a very good idea!

Regarding favourites, how is it done? I think it would be great if, in the normal file browser (where you selected and loaded a game) then on the right of the screen (after the rating?) there is an 'F' if the game is also in the current list of favourites. And when the user presses C-Down when a file is highlighted, then if the file is not in the favourite list then a prompt comes up saying;

Add [game name] to list of favourites? Press A for yes, press B for no.

and if the file is in the favourites list then it says

Remove [game name] from the list of favourites? Press A for yes, press B for no.

and ideally you can also remove files directly from the favourite menu.

When on the file browser, if the user presses C-Up then the the favourites menu appears, and the user can select and load a file from there, or press B to return to the main file browser.

Another good feature I'd like to see in the favourites menu is a quick load function. I.e. in the favourite menu, then if the user presses C-Right then a message appears saying;

Assign [game name] to quick load key? Press A for yes, press B for no.

If the user selects yes, then the screen clears and a list of all currently preset quick load games appear, with a prompt that says;

Press Right Shoulder Button and the quick load button you wish to use, or press Z and the corresponding
quick load button to clear that quick loading slot, or just press B to return to favourites menu.

This will allow the user to set ten games to quick load buttons, i.e.

Right Shoulder + D-Pad Up
Right Shoulder + D-Pad Down
Right Shoulder + D-Pad Left
Right Shoulder + D-Pad Right

Right Shoulder + A
Right Shoulder + B

Right Shoulder + C Up
Right Shoulder + C Down
Right Shoulder + C Left
Right Shoulder + C Right

and the menu would list the keypresses, plus the already assigned games, so that the user could assign the selected game to a key combination of the player's choice, i.e. the menu would say;

Right Shoulder + D-Pad Up                       is currently set to    Banjo-Kazooie (E) (M3) [!]
Right Shoulder + D-Pad Down                  is currently set to    Banjo-Tooie (U) [!] (patched to work on Everdrive 64)
Right Shoulder + D-Pad Left                     is currently Empty   
Right Shoulder + D-Pad Right                   is currently Empty   

Right Shoulder + A                                    is currently set to    Perfect Dark (E) [!]
Right Shoulder + B                                    is currently set to    Goldeneye X - NTSC v5b

Right Shoulder + C Up                              is currently Empty   
Right Shoulder + C Down                         is currently set to    Beetle Adventure Racing! (E) (M3) [!]
Right Shoulder + C Left                            is currently set to    GoldenEye (Europe)
Right Shoulder + C Right                          is currently set to    Body Harvest (Europe) (En,Fr,De)

and if the user presses Right Shoulder Button + C Down, then this becomes the quick load combination for the game.

and then at any time, on the main browser or wherever, if the user press Right Shoulder Button + one of the ten buttons listed above, then the ED64 loads that game. Like, I imagine, most N64 gamers, I mainly only play a few game, and this would be a fantastic feature, being able to quickload my favourite games.

It would be handy, if, at any time when quick loading is possible (i.e. not when doing memory card operations, for example) then if the N64 detects that only Right Shoulder Button is pressed, then all quick load games are listed on screen, i.e.

Right Shoulder + D-Pad Up                       is currently set to    Banjo-Kazooie (E) (M3) [!]
Right Shoulder + D-Pad Down                  is currently set to    Banjo-Tooie (U) [!] (patched to work on Everdrive 64)
Right Shoulder + D-Pad Left                     is currently Empty   
Right Shoulder + D-Pad Right                   is currently Empty   

Right Shoulder + A                                    is currently set to    Perfect Dark (E) [!]
Right Shoulder + B                                    is currently set to    Goldeneye X - NTSC v5b

Right Shoulder + C Up                              is currently Empty   
Right Shoulder + C Down                         is currently set to    Beetle Adventure Racing! (E) (M3) [!]
Right Shoulder + C Left                            is currently set to    GoldenEye (Europe)
Right Shoulder + C Right                          is currently set to    Body Harvest (Europe) (En,Fr,De)

and of course if the user then presses, say, B, whilst the Right Shoulder Button is held down, then game "Goldeneye X - NTSC v5b" is loaded, as that's what's listed in the quick load menu.

Please consider adding this feature, as I think quick loading would be a great feature, and ten slots would probably be enough for most people.

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2013, 05:42 PM »
shortcuts beside a fav list.. hm ^^
to be honest that sounds a bit overdone to me :D

maybe i set up a button to load the last played game.

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2013, 06:56 PM »

maybe i set up a button to load the last played game.

Yeah I didn't realize it didn't have a button for loading the last played game.  I haven't had a lot of time to try it out yet.  But I played a bit of 40 winks the other day.  Also managed to acquire the latest good set and some other things.  I gotta sort through it all and see what needs to be put on the sd card.

Thanks for doing the fixes for betas/prototypes that should be really cool.  Will lead to a lot less confusion on which 40 winks rom to load and possibly get some other stuff to work.  I notice lots of hacked roms don't work but I do also realize at the same time that a lot of current hacks are specifically made for emulators (with graphics packs, high res and such that you will never get on an N64 console [not that I care, emulation of this system is lacking in other areas so I like flash cart best]). :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 07:33 PM by rocketblast »

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2013, 10:09 PM »

It's just a suggestion. But I do think it would be a nice feature to have, and one that might be popular with a fair few users.

Offline rocketblast

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2013, 12:49 AM »
Next release is going to be awesome.  The region fix is something I was thinking about requesting but he already figured that out on his own :)

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2013, 07:19 PM »
little status update ^^

fixed some ghost entry bugs in the new browsing system :>
it's really fluent now and much more fun ^^
but if you prefer, you could still return to the old one via config file :D

the file-list font color is now adjustable and even the the color of the selected file over the selection bar. ^^
it looks much nicer now :D

the fav/toplist feature is finished ~70%

i plan to add the possibility to dump directly to a selected mpk files, too in v0.1.8
so that it's not necessary any longer to create a new mpk file every time you want to backup

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 14, 2013, 12:38 AM »
Thanks for keeping us updated, mate!