Author Topic: MicroSD card card sizes.  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Galron

• View Profile
Re: MicroSD card card sizes.
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2021, 03:25 PM »
Also how could the adaptor break when its always going to be holding the micro SD in it's slot the thing is a lot of flimsy plastic but when cared for you can just take it out with the SD card slotted in your device and just slot it into your computer without the need to find those USB pen type adaptors that held the SD card in or finding another adaptor.

It doesn't generally 'physically' break. It breaks because I figure it burns out, over time. I have have multiple adapters that simply stopped working between taking it out of my computer and using it on my consoles. I've even had ones I rarely 'remove' out of the adapter, IE the one I use primarily for my ED64 3.0 burn out and have to be replaced at least once. I've already mentioned how I've had loose connection issues where something went wrong with the adapter/or a disconnection in middle of game, and I've gotten error message to pop up. I almost never have this issue with the spring loaded micro sd slots that 'lock' the card in place.

Another issues, is an adapter might 'partially' work in one device (despite losing connections), but but simply won't work or works half the time in my PC (doesn't get detected), or drops connection on the pc (which is bad as it can corrupt a memory card if you are doing large scale updates to the memory card). I don't have same issue with a brand new adapter, but adapters do seem to be less reliable over time, and prone to burning out.

Unlike the above now that all Everdrive's contain the micro SD your always going to find having to find an adaptor or a pen a pain to update them, it was understandable on the Gameboy Everdrive line as the SD card had to be small so it could have space for the stuff to run Gameboy games but with a device as huge as the old Everdrive's changing to Micro SD HC was a bad more in my opinion.

The space is actually pretty packed in the new everdrive designs. What with the new FPGA chips, and layout of the rest of the chips. Especially with the way the sd2snes/fxpak pro is designed to fit in standard SNES case (first revision of the sd2snes pro had a bit more extra space, but only fit in super famicom style cases. It looks like it was changed out of necessity.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 03:37 PM by Galron »

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2021, 01:57 AM »
Cheap adapters with poor pins oxidize fast I suppose, and makes a poor connection. Or maybe the flimsy terminals in the adapter outright breaks off after some use. It probably protects the micro SD card from wear however, since it's not the one being pulled out again and again, and that's the more expensive part.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2021, 02:21 AM »
Ya, I haven't had any issues with micro sds or larger SDs themselves. Been using some for years.