Author Topic: My misconceptions about everdrives  (Read 1674 times)

Offline scotter140

• View Profile
My misconceptions about everdrives
« on: December 04, 2020, 02:19 AM »
So I paid a little more to get the more expensive EverDrives for SNES, Sega Genesis and NES. For some reason I thought there was support for save states. I've read the you can use an unofficial software version for SNES that has save states but they kind of brake the game. is that accurate...? So no save states unless the game had saving as a feature?

Also, I thought I saw somewhere on the internet that there was a way to use a GUI that had some kind of box art or visual representation of the game in the EverDrive menu.... Did my brain fabricate that too?

And, extra off topic, why, in the EverDrive forum, is the word "EverDrive" flagged as a spelling error with the spell check? Lol

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: My misconceptions about everdrives
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 01:22 PM »
Generally don't expect save states on a flashcart that plays on real hardware. It's often very hard to implement and very buggy, and usually has to be implemented differently in every game as it's a very invasive hack. It depends on the system.

Online Relikk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 05:41 PM »
Also, I thought I saw somewhere on the internet that there was a way to use a GUI that had some kind of box art or visual representation of the game in the EverDrive menu.... Did my brain fabricate that too?

No Everdrives have that feature yet. Only Terraonion products such as the MegaSD and the Super SD System 3 have it (with regard to pre 32-bit products).

And, extra off topic, why, in the EverDrive forum, is the word "EverDrive" flagged as a spelling error with the spell check?

It's not the website, it's your browser that detects it as a spelling error because it's not a word that's in any dictionary.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 10:15 PM »
Well, you do get save states, it's just not guaranteed to work on every game depending on how they've been coded. The problem is that, unlike an emulator, the carts don't have full access to memory contents, so you can't truly fully restore a save state. You might get glitches like graphical corruption, sounds being off, or flat-out crashing. So it's very much a "your mileage may vary" situation.

As far as I know, the SD2SNES/FXPak supports it via the FURiOUS firmware, which I expect will eventually be folded into the official firmware. Mega EverDrive and EverDrive N8 also support, but again, all of them have the caveats above.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 10:31 PM »
Some are worse than others. On NES you can basically predict what all hardware is set to by watching the data from the cartridge, but it's much more complicated in the SNES and Mega Drive since those have a separate CPU running the sound player internally, and not exposed to the cartridge. You basically has to emulate the sound CPU to keep track of what it's doing. The N64 is even worse as even the video chip has its own internal program. Save states on real hardware operating from the cartridge side is often complicated and not always possible to do 100% accurately.

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 06:41 PM »
Yeah, apparently the N64 has write-only ports, meaning that the only way to get an accurate save states would be using hardware that could monitor the motherboard and CPU which, while possible, would be very pretty complex, require a fair bit of work to develop and test, and wouldn't exactly be easiest piece of hardware to install into your N64. No doubt a dedicated and skilled person could do it, but unless he's a total N64 fanatic then I doubt anyone would bother, especially since the potential market for such a piece of kit is probably too small to tempt someone who could spend their time and skill on something with a much larger buying demographic.

Basically, barring something really unforseen, I think save-states on a real N64 won't become a possibility for most of us. On the plus side, every day it becomes a little more likely that a good third party manufacturer will create an N64 compatible console that is emulation based (or more likely on a FPGA system), that offers proper game compatibility, and that has the advantage of not having the N64's hardware limitations. That way, we can have a snapshot ability, and be able to reset the console from the joypad (the controller), have quality HDMI output, be able to get much higher screen resolutions (N64 games can look much better at higher resolutions), much better frame-rates in games (assuming the new console allows this), and so on.

Unfortunately, there's no such console yet (the Warrior 64 is by all accounts very disappointing), but it will happen sooner or later.

Offline Sarge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 10:53 PM »
Yeah, my understanding is that the Warrior 64 is just a re-shelled N64 with a LevelHike cable attached to the RGB output. Not great.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Discuss games ten years old or older! Now with a modern gaming section!

http://hardcoreretrogaming.boards.net/

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2020, 05:19 PM »
Ugh! They destroy N64s, put them in an ugly shell and throw out composite and RGB by permanently installing a cheap RGB-to-HDMI adapter as the only video output option. The custom controller seems to be the only decent thing here.

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 05:57 PM »
Even the "custom controller" is suspect. They didn't create it specifically for the Warrior 64, they just picked a knockoff one that was already on the market to package with it. The entire Warrior 64 thing is a scam. And, if successful, it's going to drive the prices of original N64 consoles way up because it's destroying so many of them.