Author Topic: Losing save files when battery runs dry  (Read 1113 times)

Offline artrugamer85

• View Profile
Losing save files when battery runs dry
« on: January 20, 2021, 11:33 PM »
I have come to grips with the fact my Everdrive GBA X5 runs through batteries quickly.
What I need to know is if there is a way, any sort of trick so I won't lose save files upon discovering the battery has run dry.
I keep losing progress.
Don't get me wrong, I'd also love it if it didn't drain the battery quite so quickly.
Is there something else I could be doing so saves won't get lost?
Say, for example, battery's fine one day and I have a game at 80% complete. I save and shut it off and don't play it for 3 months.
Next time I turn it on, I get the "battery dry" notice. Is my save still there? Should I just avoid running any game until after a fresh battery is in?

brutal33

Re: Losing save files when battery runs dry
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 12:38 AM »
If you use the most recent firmware for the device all you’ll need to do is power on the gameboy with the cart inside after a save for it to write the content of SRAM to the SD card and preserve the save. If the save has been moved to the SD card it won’t be lost when the battery runs dry.

Offline rlstine

• View Profile
Re: Losing save files when battery runs dry
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 01:18 AM »
If you use the most recent firmware for the device all you’ll need to do is power on the gameboy with the cart inside after a save for it to write the content of SRAM to the SD card and preserve the save. If the save has been moved to the SD card it won’t be lost when the battery runs dry.

Yes, this is the answer. You wouldn't lose your save (since that's saved to the SD card) but a dry battery would make it impossible to save new progress to the SD card. So the worst that would happen is you lose a little progress if you didn't realize the battery was dead. That said, it's always a good idea to back up your saves to a computer periodically, especially if you don't plan to play for a few months.