Author Topic: Bad GBA Everdrive or user error?  (Read 1255 times)

Offline billford123

• View Profile
Bad GBA Everdrive or user error?
« on: March 26, 2021, 12:26 PM »
Hello everyone, I am trying to determine if I got a bad Everdrive GBA or if it is user error trying to get it to work. I attempted 4 different SD cards size 2gb - 32gb (all sandisk) all formatted FAt32. I attempted 5 different versions of the os up to 1.15. Tried putting files on the root, in the GBASYS folder, everything. Even tried the card on an original GBA as well as a DS. All I keep getting is the Gameboy logo, and a black bar under it that looks like a stretched out q-code. I purchased the older drive, the elongated one that protrudes from the top of the GBA, the GBA X5, Model 16, Rev B.

Again, I am not sure if it is user error or a bad Everdrive
Thank you so much for your help, Bill

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Bad GBA Everdrive or user error?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2021, 12:28 PM »
What happens if you start without SD card?

Offline billford123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2021, 12:47 PM »
Excellent question, same exact thing. I get the animated Gameboy logo, and that black bar underneath that looks like the q-code thing

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2021, 12:57 PM »
Then it's probably a bad Everdrive. Contact Krikzz or the seller.

Offline billford123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2021, 01:09 PM »
That is what I feared. Thanks for the input, will contact Stoneage. Have the Genesis everdrive for a couple years and love that thing.

Offline billford123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2021, 03:55 PM »
Ok, contacted seller, he said it was probably dirty connectors and I should clean them (so I did). But that wouldnt explain the error on both the DS and the GBA. Plus every other cart I own works fine. Will push to see if he has another solution to the issue, it is Stoneage Gamer and they are well regarded in the everdrive scene.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2021, 12:41 PM »
The cartridge connector in both DS and GBA could be dirty. Try cleaning them with isopropyl alcohol.
But since you get the exact same error on both I suspect it's the Everdrive.
Have you tried original carts? The Everdrive is new so it should have better pins than original carts in general.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 04:22 PM »
Ok, contacted seller, he said it was probably dirty connectors and I should clean them (so I did). But that wouldnt explain the error on both the DS and the GBA. Plus every other cart I own works fine. Will push to see if he has another solution to the issue, it is Stoneage Gamer and they are well regarded in the everdrive scene.

The DS was a pretty messed up piece of handheld when it came to running GBA games in the 1st place, sometimes you would have to keep a DS game card in the lower slot to even get the Gameboy Advance top slot in the touch screen to even be recognized... usually a easy way was to put a DS game in the lower slot without adding the GBA game yet then go to the options where you adjusted the settings as the DS was prone to always turning off when stuff was changed I think it was the brightness setting before you change the setting as the screen is no longer on the menu which shows what carts are inserted quickly insert the and a GBA game in the top slot after it goes into off mode when the settings are changed I think... try turning it back on and it should reveal the GBA option.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 01:55 PM »
Which screen is used for GBA can easily be set in the DS settings menu.
Don't jam in GBA games in the top slot or DS games in the bottom slot. It will break.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 05:58 PM »
Which screen is used for GBA can easily be set in the DS settings menu.
Don't jam in GBA games in the top slot or DS games in the bottom slot. It will break.

Memory serves me well the DS slot was at the top and the GBA was at the lower, sometimes the device would never recognize the GBA cart inserted but always did with the DS one... I used to also remember the old DS freezing when it had one of the carts in so you had to reset it to get it working again.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!