Author Topic: Fire Emblem NES Games Appear Glitched When I Load Them  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Trueblade1423

• View Profile
Fire Emblem NES Games Appear Glitched When I Load Them
« on: March 31, 2021, 02:14 AM »
Hello! I'm trying to play Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light and Fire Emblem: Gaiden on my Everdrive X5, but when I load the games, they turned out to look glitchy, choppy, and the sound was kinda messed up. Is there a way I can fix this? I tried to convert them to .gba files with PocketNES when I was following the video uploaded by Gigagarb, but when I clicked "Make Rom", no rom was being made. Is there any way I can fix this and make the two games work? Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 02:24 AM by Trueblade1423 »

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Emblem NES Games Appear Glitched When I Load Them
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 02:32 AM »
I'm surprised you need to make the rom to get it to work, I am aware for SNES roms you need to make them but the NES ones are cosmetic so they don't need making as you just paste them to the device and Pocketnes runs them. Sadly those two FE roms have mappers that are not supported but their is a GB equivalent of one of them if I recall isn't gaiden but the other one which works on goomba.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline Trueblade1423

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 02:59 AM »
Thanks for the info! That's really unfortunate to hear  :( FE is my favorite series, so I was looking forward to playing both NES games on the Everdrive. Is there a link to the GB version of FE1? Or do I have to get it to work on Goomba somehow? I'm new to this. I just got my Everdrive 2 days ago, so any help is appreciated. Thanks again!

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 03:07 AM »
Thanks for the info! That's really unfortunate to hear  :( FE is my favorite series, so I was looking forward to playing both NES games on the Everdrive. Is there a link to the GB version of FE1? Or do I have to get it to work on Goomba somehow? I'm new to this. I just got my Everdrive 2 days ago, so any help is appreciated. Thanks again!

Sure it's named from HHUGME part of my EDGB Final Version it's in Chinese though as the English one changed sprites to try and localize it to remove references to Shadow Dragon it should be on their site https://hhug.me

Edit: Oddly it seems missing it's not even on their dump updates, oh well I'll temp upload it to sendspace for you it will expire within a day or so... as for where it was found if I recall I downloaded it around the time I searched on Chinese sites so likely hhugme never covered it but it has been years so I uh dunno xD I also remember it having two variants of openings one was mute white one had a awesome intro the music was pretty cool too back when I first played it hehe

- https://www.sendspace.com/file/p8cqa4

It's known as Gaiden but it's actually just a map copy of Shadow Dragon, I haven't played Gaiden apart from knowing it starts off at a castle where you interact with the NPCS in a glitchy castle... the GBC one starts in true fashion in the way the glitchy other NES game does also using a SNES title screen and some obscure intro that has nothing to do with FE... the sprites however may or may not be identical as the NES game is glitched it's hard to say but it seems like a carbon copy.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 05:50 AM by Richardragon87 »

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline Trueblade1423

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 04:58 AM »
Thanks so much! Even though I don't speak Chinese, as a Fire Emblem fan, it will be great to have since I never seen this!  :) I hope there will be a update that will make FE 1 and 2 playable, but at least I can enjoy the hacks. On another topic, is it normal for some NES and GBC games to flicker a tiny bit on the edges of the screen? Is there a way to stop the flickering from happening? It's not a big problem, but it can be distracting. Just making sure since, like I said, I'm new haha
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 05:01 AM by Trueblade1423 »

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 05:51 AM »
Thanks so much! Even though I don't speak Chinese, as a Fire Emblem fan, it will be great to have since I never seen this!  :) I hope there will be a update that will make FE 1 and 2 playable, but at least I can enjoy the hacks. On another topic, is it normal for some NES and GBC games to flicker a tiny bit on the edges of the screen? Is there a way to stop the flickering from happening? It's not a big problem, but it can be distracting. Just making sure since, like I said, I'm new haha

Sadly the flickering is due to some games having bugs in them I don't think their is a way to fix that issue, the same thing happens on my actual SNES where the cut off point has a moving white pixel which normally cant be seen as the screen is full screen but as the PAL screen is widescreen it shows off areas that normally cant be seen in the proper ratio.

Post changed:

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 02:03 PM »
It's very common for NES games to have graphical artifacts in the edges. This is because of the hardware and the programmers not thinking it was worth it to spend the time needed to minimize it. Pocketnes (the NES emulator you probably are using on GBA) should crop off part of the screen though, so you shouldn't see too much of it.

PAL is actually taller not wider than NTSC, which is why artifacts at the top and bottom are sure to be shown on a PAL TV. How much is cropped on the left and right edge is a case-by-case thing depending on the TV used.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 04:58 PM »
It's very common for NES games to have graphical artifacts in the edges. This is because of the hardware and the programmers not thinking it was worth it to spend the time needed to minimize it. Pocketnes (the NES emulator you probably are using on GBA) should crop off part of the screen though, so you shouldn't see too much of it.

PAL is actually taller not wider than NTSC, which is why artifacts at the top and bottom are sure to be shown on a PAL TV. How much is cropped on the left and right edge is a case-by-case thing depending on the TV used.

PAL TV's have a habit of making stuff not even widescreen its more like its the ratio of 720x576 where it gives a huge black line in the far left side and the left corner is slanted to the right side of the screen, some ratios tend to change like if you play the game such as "The peace keepers" the ratio will oddly go 4:3 or close to it for the cutscene then in game play it will revert back to widescreen again... this isn't common on NTSC TV's though.

Post changed:

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2021, 10:04 AM »
Horizontal timing is slightly different between PAL and NTSC, so the centering of the screen can be off a little if an NTSC device is played on a PAL TV. This happens for me.
The SNES has a few options for changing the resolution, which is probably what The Peace Keepers is doing.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2021, 03:14 AM »
Horizontal timing is slightly different between PAL and NTSC, so the centering of the screen can be off a little if an NTSC device is played on a PAL TV. This happens for me.
The SNES has a few options for changing the resolution, which is probably what The Peace Keepers is doing.

I kind of which that option for changing the resolution was defaulted as their is no reason for PAL devices to 720x576 the screen even the SGB running on the SNES wasn't as jarring as how SNES games run on it.

Post changed: