Author Topic: Negotiating the RTC on the GBA X5  (Read 7932 times)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: Negotiating the RTC on the GBA X5
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2020, 07:36 PM »
So the RTC is reset sometime when you select New Game. In that case getting the offset to be exactly 0 is impossible. 3 minutes is approximate I guess. It depends how fast you press forward the messages, enter your name and you have to manually walk up to the wall clock in your room to set it.

"[Guide] Findings about RTC and quick-fix por Pokémon R/S/E" by otenko
This post is yours? Looks like your account is gone along with all your posts. Strange.
Do you think you could post your test results and guide again?

Ah right! It doesn't have to be midnight in real time. You just set it to a few minutes past midnight in the game to make the offset close to 0 so that setting the RTC to real time in Boktai gets it close to the Pokemon time. Real time can be anything when you do it.

Offline Swedra

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2021, 11:39 PM »
(Sorry for necro)

So, Ive read through some of these RTC question threads now and I'm still kind of confused.
I will be playing a lot of Pokemon Rom hacks with my ED-GBA x5 mini, some of which will likely use the RTC, so lets see if I understood things correctly:

1. The first time I set RTC in a game (lets say Pokemon), it will work fine (like Pokemon Emerald), but if I then want to instead play x other game that uses RTC, I would have to start a new game as usual, set the in game clock to a minute or so after midnight, then save and quit, load up Boktai to set the time and date to what it actually is in real life, then quit and continue the save in "x other game"?

2. Lets say I continue to play just one game after doing the Boktai thing, I would assume it would work then, but then I wonder, will I need to re-set the time and date using Boktai everytime I switch from playing one RTC-enabled game to the other? Or will I just need to do this if I switch and start a new game?

This is all so bloody confusing, I wish there was a stickied post that explained this >_<'
Strip the flesh! Salt the wound! *Manical laughter*

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2021, 03:06 AM »
(Sorry for necro)

So, Ive read through some of these RTC question threads now and I'm still kind of confused.
I will be playing a lot of Pokemon Rom hacks with my ED-GBA x5 mini, some of which will likely use the RTC, so lets see if I understood things correctly:

1. The first time I set RTC in a game (lets say Pokemon), it will work fine (like Pokemon Emerald), but if I then want to instead play x other game that uses RTC, I would have to start a new game as usual, set the in game clock to a minute or so after midnight, then save and quit, load up Boktai to set the time and date to what it actually is in real life, then quit and continue the save in "x other game"?

2. Lets say I continue to play just one game after doing the Boktai thing, I would assume it would work then, but then I wonder, will I need to re-set the time and date using Boktai everytime I switch from playing one RTC-enabled game to the other? Or will I just need to do this if I switch and start a new game?

This is all so bloody confusing, I wish there was a stickied post that explained this >_<'

everytime as the RTC isnt isolated

Offline Swedra

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2021, 09:56 AM »
So...

Start new RTC-enabled game, set time to just after midnight, save and quit.
Start Boktai and set the real time and date. (Is setting the time and date in the Boktai main menu *Options* enough?)
Start the previous RTC-enabled game and play as normal.
No need to touch Boktai after that if just playing the one game with RTC (or do I need to do it everytime I've played another game inbetween, even if it doesnt directly use RTC?)
If about to play another RTC-enabled game, do the same as step one, or step two if continuing a prior save (or do I need to set it in Boktai prior to starting a new game as well?)
Rinse and repeat as needed.

Is this correct? Sorry for being a bit (in the lack of a better word) autistic about this, but Im having a strangely hard time wrapping my head around this (but it will be easy once I actually understand the 'when', so to speak.)

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2021, 11:13 AM »
So...

Start Boktai and set the real time and date. (Is setting the time and date in the Boktai main menu *Options* enough?)
No need to touch Boktai after that if just playing the one game with RTC (or do I need to do it everytime I've played another game inbetween, even if it doesnt directly use RTC?)
If about to play another RTC-enabled game, do the same as step one, or step two if continuing a prior save (or do I need to set it in Boktai prior to starting a new game as well?)

Is this correct? Sorry for being a bit (in the lack of a better word) autistic about this, but Im having a strangely hard time wrapping my head around this (but it will be easy once I actually understand the 'when', so to speak.)

just give in and buy a EZ-FLASH OMEGA Definitive Edition as the RTC is isolated and has a menu setting to set time/date and be done with it

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 01:15 PM »
(Sorry for necro)

No no no, the important thing to do is to set the clock in Pokemon to a few minutes past midnight whenever you start a new game. That is the only thing that prevents it from messing up the RTC for other games. What the RTC is set to when doing this doesn't matter. This is only done to make a certain value (the time offset) in your save file to be 0 or close to 0. After this is done, the RTC will now be something like 2001-01-01, 00:xx so you will have to use Boktai if you want to set the RTC back to real time.
So to be clear, the instructions are:

1. Start a new game in Pokemon Ruby or Saphire (but not Emerald). Once the intro is done, go to the wall clock and set it to a few minutes past 00:00. The exact number of minutes is hard to determine but it's about as long as the intro took for you to go through.

2. Set the RTC to anything you want using Boktai for example. You should at least set it to a date after 2002-01-02 to prevent the berry glitch from happening.

You just have to repeat this every time you start a new game in Pokemon Ruby or Saphire.

This following thread here is also worth a read. It should explain it all:
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=10360

Offline Swedra

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2021, 04:54 PM »
So...

just give in and buy a EZ-FLASH OMEGA Definitive Edition as the RTC is isolated and has a menu setting to set time/date and be done with it

I wasnt saying Ive a hard time to wrap my head around it as in "Why is it even like this *angery noises*", other than that, no thanks, I bought the ED GBA because Ive the ED GB since a few years (one of the best purchases Ive ever made), and Ive no reason to distrust Krikzz, also, these things arent exactly cheap or readily available, and being that I live in Sweden there will be extra costs besides for the product itself >_<

Offline Swedra

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2021, 04:56 PM »
(Sorry for necro)

No no no, the important thing to do is to set the clock in Pokemon to a few minutes past midnight whenever you start a new game. That is the only thing that prevents it from messing up the RTC for other games. What the RTC is set to when doing this doesn't matter. This is only done to make a certain value (the time offset) in your save file to be 0 or close to 0. After this is done, the RTC will now be something like 2001-01-01, 00:xx so you will have to use Boktai if you want to set the RTC back to real time.
So to be clear, the instructions are:

1. Start a new game in Pokemon Ruby or Saphire (but not Emerald). Once the intro is done, go to the wall clock and set it to a few minutes past 00:00. The exact number of minutes is hard to determine but it's about as long as the intro took for you to go through.

2. Set the RTC to anything you want using Boktai for example. You should at least set it to a date after 2002-01-02 to prevent the berry glitch from happening.

You just have to repeat this every time you start a new game in Pokemon Ruby or Saphire.

This following thread here is also worth a read. It should explain it all:
http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=10360

Ah, that explains why it seemed to work differently between Emerald and R/S, lol. Thanks for the clarification, I think I got it now. Very helpful post, and Ive skimmed through the linked post as well, will read it a bit more throroughly later.