Author Topic: Question: MAME APP Via EDN64 Cart. Is this what I think it could be?  (Read 11128 times)

Offline unseenforces

• Stop all the downloading.
    • View Profile
    • Bounty Hunter 4 Hire
My apologies for my lack of knowledge as I'm still waiting on my EDN64 cart to arrive in the mail.

But I was excited to see that there is an MAME App on the list of N64 downloadable applications at theoldcomputer (take a look here: http://www.theoldcomputer.com/roms/index.php?folder=Nintendo/N64/Applications)

So with this revelation, I'm wondering is it possible to boot MAME via this app on a EDN64 Cart, have the MAME directory point to a folder of compatible MAME games within the onboard Cart SD Card, and thus be able to play MAME/Arcade games?

Please anyone with any experience in this area, or predictions etc, it would be extremely valuable to me :)

kind regards

UNSEEN
Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Offline esmith13

• View Profile
Re: Question: MAME APP Via EDN64 Cart. Is this what I think it could be?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 12:05 AM »
Not sure about that one. I do know that Neon64 (8bit NES Emu) can be run on the old N64 flashkits/drive so you could use it on real hardware. Dunno if this or that would work on an everdrive tho.

I'm guessing not because there is nowhere for you to store the rom files for MAME or in this case NES that the emulator could find them. In the case of something like the v64jr (which Neon64 does work on) you had the emulator rom sitting right next to the game rom files like running an emulator on a PC. An everdrive replicates a true game cart - which has no disk/flash/cd storage capability (aside from SRAM of course but that's different).

I think you may get the emulator to run, but you will never get it to see game roms for MAME/NES/etc. to actually use it...

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 01:57 AM »
There are quite a lot simple classic games included inside the MAME Rom, that the n64 is capable to handle.
SD support would require to program or modify an emulator specifically for the ED64.
The older more generic way was to copy the rom data for the emulator to a fixed offset, so the emulator could find it there instead of.
(thats how neon64 is working)

The MAME port is older than the everdrive and i'm telling you no secret if i say that the dev community around the n64 isn't very big. ^^
So the chances are about zero that someone is going to release a MAME port with Everdrive 64 SD support.

It might sound a bit harsh but today nobody really cares about emulators for an old console, if he isn't searching for a tech challange. ^^
It's a lot easier to use a more powerful modern console.

Offline saturnu

• ヽ(^o^)丿
    • View Profile
    • :D
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 02:13 AM »
An everdrive replicates a true game cart - which has no disk/flash/cd storage capability (aside from SRAM of course but that's different).

the everdrive replicates a n64 cart that HAS sd / usb  capability. ^^
and btw. neon64 even is on the ed64 download page. :D
in that case, if you select a nes rom, both the nes emulator and the nes rom are copied to the cartspace, just like in dr v64 times. :>
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 02:17 AM by saturnu »

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 02:32 AM »
i have two builds of the n64 mame package.  i used to have some fun with these roms back in the late 90's if only to play some simple arcade games. both builds are identical other than a few extra games here and there. you just load up the mame roms like any other game and your greeted with a game list menu. some games work so slow you will need to use frameskiping which sucks. it's ok to play games like pac-man, donkey kong, scramble and so on.
 if your into old ports on old consoles then track down manic minor and manic minor hidden levels, those are fun.

Offline unseenforces

• View Profile
    • Bounty Hunter 4 Hire
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 06:39 AM »
Thanks guys for your responses.

So in conclusion... MAME roms should be basically continued to be emulated via a PC or Mac OS running MAME..

would have been magnificent if it were possible to run Mame through Everdrive 64... MAGNIFICENT I tell you. It would have turned my N64 into my favorite system :O

I'll have to continue to wonder what my answer for a self contained mini-console-esque system running MAME roms with controllers will be.....
Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Offline esmith13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 06:56 AM »
Buy a dead NES. Gut it out and do a mini ITX pc inside running mame for the classic games and maybe even NES emulation as well. Wire it to use original NES controller ports and unmodified controllers.

Offline unseenforces

• View Profile
    • Bounty Hunter 4 Hire
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 07:18 AM »
again, you rain upon me the sweet tasting thoughts of brilliance. Thank you esmith.

So, to clarify, a "mini ITX pc" can handle MAME roms? even high demanding ones like Street fighter?  (any specific RAM/Graphics card requirements?)

And to play these games, I could use a USB controller like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Arcade-KOF-Joystick-Two-Player-Operation-USB-Game-Controller-/171240629936?pt=US_Video_Game_Controllers&hash=item27debca6b0

and I should be good to go?

going to do more research on the mini ITX, thank you for this idea :) If I could get the NES door to open up to reveal USB Ports for the controllers... that would be sweeeeet
Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Offline Chilly Willy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 07:32 AM »
Mini ITX or SBC (Single Board Computer). I have a 3.5" SBC (has the same dimensions as a 3.5" harddrive) that has the same hardware as the original x86 Mac Mini: a 1.7GHz CoreDuo with Intel 965GM integrated graphics. They're all just "standard" PCs with a small footprint for custom jobs.

Offline unseenforces

• View Profile
    • Bounty Hunter 4 Hire
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 07:51 AM »
Mini ITX or SBC (Single Board Computer). I have a 3.5" SBC (has the same dimensions as a 3.5" harddrive) that has the same hardware as the original x86 Mac Mini: a 1.7GHz CoreDuo with Intel 965GM integrated graphics. They're all just "standard" PCs with a small footprint for custom jobs.

and she can handle MAME without any issues? I can def see this being an awesome project with some custom matching USB arcade sticks.

Does the SBC have USB ports?

(looking into it now)
Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Offline Kerr Avon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 04:48 PM »
There are builds of MAME available for the N64 that come with the game roms built in, so you load MAME and the roms also load, then you just choose which rom to run from a menu. But you are limited to the two or three dozen roms that are built in, and as butfluffy says, since this MAME build is (seemingly) unoptimized, then it doesn't run some games too well.

Still, at least it let's you play the most classic arcade games, such as Pacman, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, Mr Do!, and so on.

Offline esmith13

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 05:08 PM »

and she can handle MAME without any issues? I can def see this being an awesome project with some custom matching USB arcade sticks.

Does the SBC have USB ports?

(looking into it now)

The reason I suggested using original nes controllers was because I personally wouldn't expect the system to handle newer games that need 6 buttons and such. The reality is it woukd likely handle all but the last 5yrs or so if the mame game catalog

Offline unseenforces

• View Profile
    • Bounty Hunter 4 Hire
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2014, 10:20 PM »
Thanks Kerr... yeah the idea would be able to play the whole mame catalog, so I'll be drifting away from using N64 as the way to do that.

esmith - yeah I'm thinking I could use one of those mini ITX PC's along with a set of USB arcade sticks, like Hori, or some other universal PC style arcade stick, so that way it feels more like you're playing an arcade game. The retro console housing will just be for the gaming aesthetic retro look. If I house it in an NES console box, I wouldn't actually use any of the NES peripherals.

8)
Audaces Fortuna Juvat

Offline esmith13

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 12:38 AM »
OK, cool. I think you would do fine with either a NES or a Sega Genesis/MD. Personally I'd do the Genesis because it would be different, look cool in black and the front controller port locations would be great for two paired USB ports (4 total)

Offline unseenforces

• View Profile
    • Bounty Hunter 4 Hire
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 04:04 AM »
OK, cool. I think you would do fine with either a NES or a Sega Genesis/MD. Personally I'd do the Genesis because it would be different, look cool in black and the front controller port locations would be great for two paired USB ports (4 total)

Thank you :)
Audaces Fortuna Juvat