Author Topic: Auto force clear .srm savefile from SRAM when booting up GB X7  (Read 2583 times)

Offline six6to8eight

• View Profile
I have a Raspberry Pi 4-based handheld (PiBoy DMG) that I'm trying to keep synced with my GB X7 as far as savefiles (.srm) and savestates (.state) are concerned. The savefiles created by one are readable by the other, and I've set up Resilio Sync on the rPi and have it automatically updating either the rPi's savefiles or the GB X7's savefiles (based on whatever's newest) via USB adapter whenever I connect the Everdrive microSD to the rPi as external storage.

This works great -- automatically and seamlessly in the background on the rPi. However, when then boot the synced microSD card with the GB X7, I cannot get the save file to load. I understand that this is because the later Everdrive models that automatically save (via SRAM) -- such as the GB X7 -- actually hold the save file in SRAM even after being powered down. This savefile (or savestate?), which is not on the microSD, is then loaded if you go right back into that game. Because it's not initially reading in the save from the rPi, it takes me back to my last save made on the GB X7 (held in SRAM), which then overwrites the SD card save at the next in-game save event.

Is my understanding of how this works correct? If so, is there any setting or file I can tweak that will force the GB X7 to either clear SRAM at boot or otherwise ignore the save that's it's holding in memory and always load saves from the SD card? I've tried the suggested tricks of loading another game and/or select-without-starting the game and then manually load the .srm to RAM via GB X7 on-screen menu, but neither seems to work.

Really hoping there's a solution for this, as I'm so close to a fully automated save sync setup! Thanks so much for any guidance.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Re: Auto force clear .srm savefile from SRAM when booting up GB X7
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 07:19 PM »
Sometimes the games wont work as the SRAM has too many remembered games you have played in the past, normally clearing them from the folder corrects this... keep in mind some say that the device doesen't actually save your game but their is no way in my mind how the device always remembers what game you played in the recently played list and more so how it even remembers your settings.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 02:04 PM »
"The SRAM" is a memory chip on the device, it's used for the save data of the game you currently play. The .srm files on the SD card are SRAM dumps for every game you have played that supports saving to SRAM.

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 06:50 PM »
Sometimes the games wont work as the SRAM has too many remembered games you have played in the past, normally clearing them from the folder corrects this... keep in mind some say that the device doesen't actually save your game but their is no way in my mind how the device always remembers what game you played in the recently played list and more so how it even remembers your settings.

None of that made any sense at all.

The SRAM of the everdrive works in the exact same way as it does in original carts.
It's an area of volatile memory that games write save data to.
The everdrive backs up the contents of the SRAM when you launch a different game.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 09:04 AM »

None of that made any sense at all.

The SRAM of the everdrive works in the exact same way as it does in original carts.
It's an area of volatile memory that games write save data to.
The everdrive backs up the contents of the SRAM when you launch a different game.

It makes no sense why the Disk IO error pops up when the device can't load any more games, the only way this was corrected was deleting the games the device remembered it's been confirmed in some posts before that this fixed the issue.

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 09:23 AM »
So just because you can't wrap your head around that, the Everdrive is powered by black magic? You said yourself that this was a software problem with the OS and can be fixed by deleting some log file in the OS folder. There is no need to "always remember settings". Only when the OS is running, and at that time settings can be read from files in the OS folder on the SD card. When the game is up and running the Everdrive is effectively a normal game cartridge in most ways (if we ignore save states and other advanced functions). If not, the game wouldn't work correctly as it expects to have ROM and SRAM in certain places and with certain sizes.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2021, 12:35 AM »
So just because you can't wrap your head around that, the Everdrive is powered by black magic? You said yourself that this was a software problem with the OS and can be fixed by deleting some log file in the OS folder. There is no need to "always remember settings". Only when the OS is running, and at that time settings can be read from files in the OS folder on the SD card. When the game is up and running the Everdrive is effectively a normal game cartridge in most ways (if we ignore save states and other advanced functions). If not, the game wouldn't work correctly as it expects to have ROM and SRAM in certain places and with certain sizes.

Do you mean the "Last remembered games"... yeah that was how it ended up bad for me, it made unneeded files that took up the rest of my SD card though I have yet again to see that issue present itself but is it easy to replicate though you would have to load at least all NES roms from A-Z across all regions on the GBA X5 to see it for yourself.

Post changed:

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2021, 11:25 PM »

Do you mean the "Last remembered games"... yeah that was how it ended up bad for me, it made unneeded files that took up the rest of my SD card though I have yet again to see that issue present itself but is it easy to replicate though you would have to load at least all NES roms from A-Z across all regions on the GBA X5 to see it for yourself.

None of which has anything to do with the SRAM.
(Or the GBA everdrive... Or NES Roms...)

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 12:22 AM »

None of which has anything to do with the SRAM.
(Or the GBA everdrive... Or NES Roms...)

It actually has a lot, word is if you load every game on your device the Everdrive will cease to work due to it keeping 2,555 files of stuff loaded upon it... trust me it does happen.

Post changed:

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 01:50 PM »
It keep those files on the SD card though, not on the SRAM. So it still has nothing to do with SRAM.

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2021, 04:12 AM »
This guy....
I don't know what he is..

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2021, 05:41 PM »
It keep those files on the SD card though, not on the SRAM. So it still has nothing to do with SRAM.

But how else is this explained - http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8958.0

Post changed:

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2021, 07:08 AM »

But how else is this explained - http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=8958.0

A bunch of flakey emulators?
Again, this has nothing to do with the general function of the cart in question, the SRAM of the cart or the OP's post.

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2021, 12:20 PM »
Richarddragon you even said yourself:
FAT 0F Error, or Disk IO Error
Which can only mean an error with the SD-card (the SRAM chip is not formatted into FAT or any other filesystem).

if you go into the Emusave folder and delete the SRM games (Which will be dozens in there garunteed) it fixes this error without the need to get a new SD card or format it again which likely would work on any everdrive device but in this case the SAVE folder.
You fixed the error by deleting SRM files on the SD-card. Notice the utter lack of "SRAM" in the word "SD-card".

The problem is not from the Everdrive magically accumulating "data" from every game you load.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 12:22 PM by nuu »

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2021, 04:24 AM »
Richarddragon you even said yourself:
FAT 0F Error, or Disk IO Error
Which can only mean an error with the SD-card (the SRAM chip is not formatted into FAT or any other filesystem).

if you go into the Emusave folder and delete the SRM games (Which will be dozens in there garunteed) it fixes this error without the need to get a new SD card or format it again which likely would work on any everdrive device but in this case the SAVE folder.
You fixed the error by deleting SRM files on the SD-card. Notice the utter lack of "SRAM" in the word "SD-card".

The problem is not from the Everdrive magically accumulating "data" from every game you load.

What makes no sense is the SRM is created without saving anything, this "data" for example is just remembered as SRM in the folder I wouldn't be surprised if this is how a lot of games are remembered also I used to thing SRM was short for SRAM.

Post changed: