Author Topic: X7 - Cart button doesn't work very often  (Read 4012 times)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
Re: X7 - Cart button doesn't work very often
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2021, 12:31 PM »
Yeah sure the components in the SNES and Gameboy are all for show. The device runs on mana energy and the console and cartridge is just a catalyst to channel this energy with.

The Gameboy cartridge is connected to +5V power and ground or it wouldn't work.

Just because it didn't break for you yet doesn't mean it can't break. The risk potentially exists.

Offline Galron

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2021, 03:11 AM »
In a lot of games, and especially demos/homebrew, the cart button doesn't work AT ALL. I'll press it several times and nothing happens, even though it's enabled in the OS' options menu. In some games, it works fine. I just got the Everdrive, and the button feels clicky and healthy, and there's no visible issue with anything on the cart... it just doesn't work very often.

I think I've made a list of games that cart button won't work on somewhere in this forum. I tested through something like 2/3+ of the full no-intro rom library discovering which ones won't work... Quite a few GBC games are imcompatible with it from what I remember. From what I could remember still 80-90% of the games do work, so its not a huge problem.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2021, 07:25 PM »
Yeah sure the components in the SNES and Gameboy are all for show. The device runs on mana energy and the console and cartridge is just a catalyst to channel this energy with.

The Gameboy cartridge is connected to +5V power and ground or it wouldn't work.

Just because it didn't break for you yet doesn't mean it can't break. The risk potentially exists.

Ok here's an untested idea if someone were managed to press the cart button to reset to the default everdrive menu would the OS menu load up the front root menu or load up the past game that has been played by default, as of now I can confirm my method always loads up the OS root menu but keeps the boarder on the screen due to the burn in effect where it generates a image for the SGB but I presume if you were to somehow be able to press the cart button it would give the same results if it's possible to press while in the SGB.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2021, 08:26 PM »
That's irrelevant to the discussion of damage due to hotswapping cartridges.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2021, 10:36 PM »
That's irrelevant to the discussion of damage due to hotswapping cartridges.

Why is it irrelevant, it likely would save further problems if that way is better than the method that does it in the first place... then again as the SGB hides the button it's likely not going to be possible to press. Besides you can always turn the power off on the SNES and on again to load the root menu while if you press reset on the SNES it just loads up the previous game while the boarder is the default SGB one till a game loads the other method always keeps whatever boarder loaded when going back to the menu... it doesn't fade out to revert back to the SGB default one plus the X button input will always have the pallet from the past game too.

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2021, 11:31 AM »
Unless you can prove that hotswapping cartridges on the Gameboy and SNES is without risk (hint: you can't) there is no discussion.

I don't have the X7, but I don't think it's any more impossible to press the "cart button" on the SGB than on other Gameboy models. The switch is inside the cart casing, so you just squeeze the cartridge case to activate it.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2021, 01:20 PM »
Unless you can prove that hotswapping cartridges on the Gameboy and SNES is without risk (hint: you can't) there is no discussion.

I don't have the X7, but I don't think it's any more impossible to press the "cart button" on the SGB than on other Gameboy models. The switch is inside the cart casing, so you just squeeze the cartridge case to activate it.

Where is the button as it is covered by a label and as I have been doing that for years without risk my opinion is still valid.

Post changed:

Offline TheShadowRunner

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2021, 08:03 PM »
Where is the button as it is covered by a label and as I have been doing that for years without risk my opinion is still valid.
yeah keep doing it, you'll eventually break your hardware, lose saves, way to go.
There's a reason manufacturers put locks in the first place, this discussion is absolutely ridiculous.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2021, 09:13 PM »
yeah keep doing it, you'll eventually break your hardware, lose saves, way to go.
There's a reason manufacturers put locks in the first place, this discussion is absolutely ridiculous.

Plot twist the intention was never to use game saves as various GB/GBC roms would eventually have been patched with hacks so no data can be lost, this allows full functionality with the EDGB to play any boarder with any non enhanced rom also from what I noticed the EDGB is too well made to loose game saves if it always resets to the OS menu but if you have a spare EDGB it's worth using it for a custom boarder set.

Post changed:

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2021, 10:58 PM »

Plot twist the intention was never to use game saves as various GB/GBC roms would eventually have been patched with hacks so no data can be lost, this allows full functionality with the EDGB to play any boarder with any non enhanced rom also from what I noticed the EDGB is too well made to loose game saves if it always resets to the OS menu but if you have a spare EDGB it's worth using it for a custom boarder set.

Please just stop posting and go away.

(and ffs stop saying "boarder". The word you're looking for is BORDER)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2021, 01:34 PM »
"Boarder" kept bothering me to.

Anyway Richarddragon, the switch isn't hidden by the label, it's inside the plastic shell on the X-series of the EDGB. If you don't have the X-series there is no switch to press. No one ever said anything about any labels except you. You keep ignoring half of what people say and makes up your own version of that half. You should learn to "read from the book".

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2021, 10:14 PM »

Anyway Richarddragon, the switch isn't hidden by the label, it's inside the plastic shell on the X-series of the EDGB. If you don't have the X-series there is no switch to press. No one ever said anything about any labels except you. You keep ignoring half of what people say and makes up your own version of that half. You should learn to "read from the book".

I likely have both the X series and the older one, If one is transparent and one is black then yeah that's likely the way to tell which version is which as for border being misspelled as boarder the spell checker has no red line when you type in "Boarder" just try it in the message and it doesn't refer it as incorrectly spelt... it's kind of like how I usually say releace instead of release of course the latter name has a red line under it so I right click and change it to the correct word.

Post changed:

Offline zaphro72

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2021, 01:49 AM »

I likely have both the X series and the older one, If one is transparent and one is black then yeah that's likely the way to tell which version is which as for border being misspelled as boarder the spell checker has no red line when you type in "Boarder" just try it in the message and it doesn't refer it as incorrectly spelt... it's kind of like how I usually say releace instead of release of course the latter name has a red line under it so I right click and change it to the correct word.

That's because "boarder" and "border" are both real words but with significantly different meanings.

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2021, 03:26 AM »

That's because "boarder" and "border" are both real words but with significantly different meanings.

I'm guessing the way I spell it means the costal one while the latter one is the proper one that refers to what is on the SGB screen.

Post changed:

Offline James Cree

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2021, 01:24 AM »
Thank you so much for your comments. They are very useful to me.

Hahaha! I like it 😂