Author Topic: SuFami Turbo Games on SD2SNES  (Read 7196 times)

Offline Sceptre_JLRB

• View Profile
SuFami Turbo Games on SD2SNES
« on: July 27, 2017, 07:34 PM »
Just a quick overview on the working status of SuFami Turbo (ST) ROMs on SD2SNES, as well as reporting some detected issues.

Even though stated as incompatible (https://sd2snes.de/blog/compatibility), to tell the truth some ROM versions are working. The only requeriment is that they must contain the ST BIOS added to the main ROM file. Beware: Most of ST ROMs named with '+ ST BIOS' in the GoodSNES romset won't work, displaying only the ST BIOS screen. Instead, the properly working versions use to be the overdumped ones, marked as '[o1]', '[o2]', etc. in the romset and adding an extra 1024 KB to the main game memory (it should be noted that those are not actually overdumped ROMs, but the real ones adding the ST BIOS).

Trying the complete ST romset and looking for working ROMs for each title on SD2SNES (Rev. F, v0.1.7d firmware), I've found the non-linkable games seem to work with no issue:

- Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon S - Fuwa Fuwa Panic 2
- Crayon Shin-chan - Nagagutsu Dobon!!
- Gegege no Kitarou - Youkai Donjara
- Gekisou Sentai Carranger - Zenkai! Racer Senshi

However, the linkable games have some issues:

- Poi Poi Ninja World: Graphic glitches and no music after continuing.
- SD Ultra Battle - Ultraman Densetsu: Freezes at special attacks.
- SD Ultra Battle - Seven Densetsu: Freezes at special attacks.
- SD Ultra Battle - Ultraman & Seven: The non-overdumped ROM is SD Ultra Battle - Ultraman Densetsu, the right one is the overdumped. Freezes at special attacks. Some graphic glitches.
- SD Ultra Battle - Seven & Ultraman: The non-overdumped ROM is SD Ultra Battle - Seven Densetsu, the right one is the overdumped. Freezes at special attacks or randomly, graphic glitches, some missing sound FX, jump won't work.
- SD Gundam Generation A-B-C-D-E-F: There are no ROMs with all linking possibilities. In additon, each single one has some graphic and sound glitches, movement seems to not work and often freezes.

The main question is: Are these issues fixable on future SD2SNES firmware revisions? Is the problem due to bad dumps? Or maybe there is no way these linkable ROMs can work properly due to hardware restrictions (absence of ST itself)?

I'd like so much to know your experiences and knowledge on these special ROMs, as well as their working status with your settings. Thank you in advance! ;)

Offline ErivandoXP

• View Profile
Re: SuFami Turbo Games on SD2SNES
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 05:03 AM »
Same results here.

Gekisou Sentai Carranger is a good game.

Offline Sceptre_JLRB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 05:54 AM »
Thanks for the confirmation!

Exactly the same occurs on emulators such as Kindred. The working overdumped files can also be obtained in a 'handmade' manner just by fusing 4x original BIOS file + any original ST ROM file (optionally, + second original ST ROM file, for linking). The same result with the very same errors both on SD2SNES and emulators is obtained, however.

It seems SuFami Turbo emulation isn't very polished yet... And regarding SD2SNES or other flashcarts, maybe they cannot mimic the SuFami Turbo hardware.

At least Gekisou Sentai Carranger is perfectly playable! ;-)

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 10:03 AM »
SuFami Turbo is definitely possible. My main issue is to come up with a user friendly interface for combining two ROMs. ^^;

Offline Sceptre_JLRB

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 11:22 AM »
That's great to hear, @ikari_01 !
Maybe a special SuFami Turbo launcher option with one field to select ROM A, another one for ROM B, and then a Run! button. Just thinking...

Thank you so much for your answer! :-)

Offline nuu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 01:39 PM »
SuFami Turbo is definitely possible. My main issue is to come up with a user friendly interface for combining two ROMs. ^^;
I have some thoughts about this:
Currently when you press A button on a ROM it will start directly. What about adding a sub menu (kind of like in Everdrives) that shows up when pressing A button on a game that shows additional options such as: Run ROM (cursor default option to quickly load normal games), display header information, hex view and select ROM file to combine with (for Sufami Turbo and data pak carts)?

To make it user friendly you could make it possible to assign default directories (in the normal options menu) to search in for a ROM to combine. Then you would keep Sufami Turbo or data paks in these directories so you can just load the BIOS ROM (or whatever ROM that supports piggy backing ROMs) and then the data pak folder will pop up so you  can quickly select which one you want. But you might want to have at least two default directories to choose between so you can have Sufami Turbo and data paks in separate directories without mixing them up.
Loading the ROM without selecting a ROM to combine with, would be the same as running the BIOS/game without a sufamiturbo/data pak. I guess you may want to prevent people from accidentally combining say Super Metroid and Super Mario World though.

Alternatively if people thinks requiring two presses on A button to load normal roms is too much, the SNES controller has lots of unused buttons that could be used to display such a menu.

Wouldn't this also fix the problem that you have to make a new profile every time you play a new Satellaview game?

What do you think about this?

Offline TheShadowRunner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 07:15 PM »
bump for interest!

Offline ikari_01

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 01:53 PM »
Thanks for your input @nuu, I am currently preparing a "select game" function that will bring up a game related menu. I am currently leaning towards putting that on the A button.
Firmware will then detect the file type and preload the ROM, related cheat codes, and probably game specific settings (which are going to be a subset of the global settings).

Moreover @TheShadowRunner pointed out a problem with ROMs of identical name that reside in different directories but aren't supposed to share an SRM file. My current idea to address this is to mirror the complete directory tree (without the ROM files of course) into the sd2snes/saves, sd2snes/cheats etc. subdirectories.

Predefining default directories for SF games is a good idea. As an alternative I'd just browse the same directory as the primary ROM that was just selected.

Regarding Satellaview SRM sharing, I could imagine selecting a "level" on which the SRM file would be created:
  • ROM file level: an individual SRM file will be created per BS memory pack dump. This is the current behaviour.
  • folder level: a single SRM file is shared per ROM folder. It could either be named /sd2snes/saves/<path/to/rom>/bsxbios.srm or /sd2snes/saves/<path/to/rom>.srm
  • global level: a single SRM file is shared globally. It would bear the name of the BS-X BIOS, i.e. /sd2snes/saves/sd2snes/bsxbios.srm.

Ice Man

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 10:08 PM »
I've hacked the games to work on the SD2SNES (since I wanted to make carts of them for my own use anyway).
Basically all ST games are around 2MB in size and the BIOS when merged with the games expects the loaded game to be located at x100000.

I've attached an example of Gekisou Sentai Carranger - Zenkai! Racer Senshi

Simply apply the IPS Patch to the Sufami Turbo ROM of the said game. Enjoy.

Offline Gumball

• Gumball Bunny
  • Heavy Metal Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 06:14 AM »
theres already a pack of sufami turbo roms patched with the bios or at least merged. I have them I've had them for a long time actually and every game worked fine. Just thought id let you guys know.
All I wanna do is shred.