Author Topic: odd behavior with sega consoles when setting up my new retro corner.  (Read 7181 times)

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
earlier this evening while connecting up most of my retro consoles to my sony trinatron tv i encountered some strange behavior with sega consoles. first of all if the megadrive and master system were connected to the trinatron using my 5 way scart splitter then if i powered one of the consoles they would both power up together even if the other was not plugged in. ie: master system power unplugged and still somehow powers up when megadrive is switched on.
 i have never encountered anything like this before. same thing happened with my saturn. if i switvh it on when the master system or megadrive is connected to the 5 way scart splitter they will power on without being plugged in. it's like something is going wrong with sega consoles when more than one is plugged into scart splitter and somehow sending power to the unplugged console through the connected scart which i would not have thought possible. the led's on the unplugged consoles light up and everything. it was bizarre.
 i got around it eventually by using various splitters and tv inputs and the retro corner is cool but i thought i would share my story with you guys to see if anyone may be able to explain what was going on lol.

Offline phoenixdownita

• View Profile
Re: odd behavior with sega consoles when setting up my new retro corner.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 07:53 AM »
My speculation:

Scart connectors have 1 pin to force switching of the TV, such pin carries power (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART#Blanking_and_switching).
If your 5 way splitter does not isolate it (with diodes) then one console will send power to the other, then the issue is how the "other" console connects its "switching" pin to the rest.
If it happens to be common to the power rail (directly connected to either the input +, or to the output of the regulator) there you have it, one Scart output powers the other console.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_Alive  :)

Offline keropi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 09:51 AM »
my guess would be a crappy scart box... tbh I haven't found a good one yet (that does not cost 100eur that is) , passive ones always introduce cross-talking and image degration and the cheap powered ones are a hit-and-miss... I just use a single scart extension (1male - 1 female socket) so that I can easily connect one console at a time from a better point than the back of the tv...
not a good solution I know but it works without weirdness  ;)

Offline MockyLock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 10:07 AM »
Same as you.
Once i worried about my SNES Everdrive because the picture  was flickering, and i noticed that just after i installed the DSP in it.
i searched many ways to solve it and finally the problem was a ColecoVision plugged in the same scart box, even when it was unplugged from power supply (i was testing both SuperEverdrive and AtarimAx SD).

Offline RetroRepair

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 02:39 PM »
My speculation:

Scart connectors have 1 pin to force switching of the TV, such pin carries power (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCART#Blanking_and_switching).
If your 5 way splitter does not isolate it (with diodes) then one console will send power to the other, then the issue is how the "other" console connects its "switching" pin to the rest.
If it happens to be common to the power rail (directly connected to either the input +, or to the output of the regulator) there you have it, one Scart output powers the other console.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_Alive  :)

This is the problem, seen it a bunch of times. Open your switcher and make sure each blanking pin is isolated.

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 06:31 PM »
thanks for the replies guys. i'm happy with the setup right now. i just limit only 1 sega console to the splitter. i'm kinda lucky with the switcher all in all because there seems to be no degradation of picture quality when other consoles are attached unless it's more than one sega console that is lol.
 also the picture seems just as good using the splitter as when i connect consoles directly to the tv which is cool. the splitter cost me about £5 around 12 years ago. i purchased a more expensive 3 way splitter with fancy switches and everything more recently for my semi modern console setup (ps2, dreamcast xbox 1 and so on) and the picture was dreadful. i guess maybe the build quility of this kinda stuff has gone down hill over the years and you need to spend a lot more for quality these days.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 06:56 PM by butfluffy »

Offline DBloke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 09:58 PM »
It happens a lot, some scart cables have a tiny bit of power go to the TV so the TV auto switches to that corresponding channel.

If only Scart extension cables wernt so bloody expensive
TNOG.ORG - Games nights in Manchester - https://www.youtube.com/user/Darkprinny

Offline butfluffy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 03:09 AM »
my splitter has a fairly long lead so i got easy access to it without having to move the tv. i remember in the old days when i first had consoles with scarts having to lean over my mothers tv and blindly try to replace either the megadrive scart for the snes scart or vice versa. it used to drive me crazy. for a split second you think you got it in then you realize the it aint quite lined up properly and trying over and over rather than moving the big bulky tv and it's stand over the old fashioned thick carpet. it was well worth the effort in the end though just not to have to play with crappy rf lead quality.
 if anyone here from the uk remembers the krypton factor tv show then i think they should have included blindly inserting scart cables while leaning over the back of bulky tv's as a manual dexterity challenge lol.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 03:12 AM by butfluffy »