Author Topic: Mini Gba Everydrive crashes constantly with ips v2 modded 001 model  (Read 3847 times)

Offline Mugman16

• View Profile
https://www.reddit.com/r/Gameboy/comments/aj8h1r/agb101_mod_and_everdrive_gba_x5_certain_roms/ this sums up my experience perfectly, tho mine is a 001. Ever since I have recieved the Everdrive I have had constant crashes, playing plugged into the wall, formatting sd, different roms, nothing has solved this issue. The cart works fine in my fat ds, so it is an inherent incompatibility with the ips mod I would think. normal carts work fine in my gba, as do gbc and gb games. thanks for any help.

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
https://www.reddit.com/r/Gameboy/comments/aj8h1r/agb101_mod_and_everdrive_gba_x5_certain_roms/ this sums up my experience perfectly, tho mine is a 001. Ever since I have recieved the Everdrive I have had constant crashes, playing plugged into the wall, formatting sd, different roms, nothing has solved this issue. The cart works fine in my fat ds, so it is an inherent incompatibility with the ips mod I would think. normal carts work fine in my gba, as do gbc and gb games. thanks for any help.

modded screen and translation pcb is pulling to much power

Offline Mugman16

• View Profile
But I'm seeing many reports of it working on GBAs modded in the same exact way.

Offline Richardragon87

• SNESAdvance Revival Coder
    • View Profile
Can confirm it has been used on a modded 101 model and has had 0 issues with crashing or more importantly the battery needing replacing.
[quote Random dating spambotJ

Post changed:

Great, the photo didn't load! Does anyone know how to fix this?
In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

P.S Richardragon87! Don't write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

Offline Shadow666

• View Profile
But I'm seeing many reports of it working on GBAs modded in the same exact way.

Cool not all screen/translation pcb's r created equal

Offline JCR1

• View Profile
I have everdrive gba first model with a 001 sp with ips screen, all work fine

Offline SlippyToadLives

• View Profile
Can confirm it has been used on a modded 101 model and has had 0 issues with crashing or more importantly the battery needing replacing.

Do you mean 001 with 101 screen or an AGS101 with ips v2?

I got an AGS101 which I suspect will have no problems and i hope the same with my AGB001 with 101 screen

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile

I got an AGS101 which I suspect will have no problems and i hope the same with my AGB001 with 101 screen

As the ips v2 screen has yet to see the light of day at a convention it's likely the 001 with 101 screen and back light.

Post changed:

In any case, my other photos can be viewed here, I will be glad to meet you, I love flirt))

Offline SlippyToadLives

• View Profile

As the ips v2 screen has yet to see the light of day at a convention it's likely the 001 with 101 screen and back light.

I think you're thinking of ips v3.

ips v2 has been out for a while and is actually a thing for sure. it fixes judder, an issue people had with v1 (or 'framerate' as some people describe the problem)

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
I think you're thinking of ips v3.

ips v2 has been out for a while and is actually a thing for sure. it fixes judder, an issue people had with v1 (or 'framerate' as some people describe the problem)

I'm not sure what it was known as apart from a run of the mill convention standard GBA SP which had a modded front screen and became a AGS 101 it's hard to make out but this picture is a custom one - https://imgur.com/a/tG9VhvA

Post changed:

Offline SlippyToadLives

• View Profile
Re: Mini Gba Everydrive crashes constantly with ips v2 modded 001 model
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 03:20 AM »
Looks like an AGS001 (since Black didnt come in 101) modified with either AGS101 screen or IPS of some kind.

if you can set brightness to beyond two different settings (low and bright, low being default on boot) its an IPS (though not necessarily, this requires an additional controller I think for multiple settings vs default 2 which could be IPS as well)

if you have judder, its like v1 (up and down controlling Pokemon character seems choppy). If its smooth, likely v2. But then theres 'real' funny playing IPS and generics / clones of it.

Lots of different paths

--

edit: I think the most obvious tell is if you tilt the screen off axis, can you see white light leak behind where the bezel is? if so, 101. If not, IPS.

if I had to guess, I'd say its an IPS. just because you dont often see ags001 with 101, its usually swapped with IPS. and the aftermarket lens you got there.

If anything, peopel just do a full shell swap of 101. Coupled with having issues, I think it could be IPS since it consumes a lot more power than 101. your best bet might be selling it to someone who isn't going to use an everdrive, and picking up a real 101 or an AGB modded 101. Just my 2 cents. but good luck - hope this helped somewhat
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 03:26 AM by SlippyToadLives »

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 03:52 AM »
Looks like an AGS001 (since Black didnt come in 101) modified with either AGS101 screen or IPS of some kind.

if you can set brightness to beyond two different settings (low and bright, low being default on boot) its an IPS (though not necessarily, this requires an additional controller I think for multiple settings vs default 2 which could be IPS as well)

if you have judder, its like v1 (up and down controlling Pokemon character seems choppy). If its smooth, likely v2. But then theres 'real' funny playing IPS and generics / clones of it.

Lots of different paths

--

edit: I think the most obvious tell is if you tilt the screen off axis, can you see white light leak behind where the bezel is? if so, 101. If not, IPS.

if I had to guess, I'd say its an IPS. just because you dont often see ags001 with 101, its usually swapped with IPS. and the aftermarket lens you got there.

If anything, peopel just do a full shell swap of 101. Coupled with having issues, I think it could be IPS since it consumes a lot more power than 101. your best bet might be selling it to someone who isn't going to use an everdrive, and picking up a real 101 or an AGB modded 101. Just my 2 cents. but good luck - hope this helped somewhat

Yep that's right it is just a black AGS 001 with the guts of a 101, the only close one I have otherwise is the physical Chrome Grey AGS 101...

Only thing I remember of Pokémon games is they usually flicker when changing between the screens I don't remember judder being in them aside from the emulators that have a bit of shimmering as expected

How many paths?

Edit: Yeah you're right on that one too - https://imgur.com/a/Kvqp5Zb

Post changed:

Offline SlippyToadLives

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 04:01 AM »
I see. weird

It looked like an AGS101 from the grid matrix too in the previous photo, vs. the 'emulation look' of IPS with integer scaling but I cant help more beyond trying to identify the panel

Offline Richardragon87

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 04:40 AM »
I see. weird

It looked like an AGS101 from the grid matrix too in the previous photo, vs. the 'emulation look' of IPS with integer scaling but I cant help more beyond trying to identify the panel

I don't think conventions ever really use a proper 101 especially in place of just using a cheap refurbished variant which never gets scratches on it ever to the shell or interior, even if they refer them as a 101 that had everything changed my Chrome one states otherwise the pallet color is a lot more hued on the real deal while the refurbished one tends to have a more light tone to the pallets kind of like how it would look on a CRT TV as opposed to a more tinted bright screen.

A better way to know what I mean is seeing this - https://imgur.com/a/zfYTQBv and https://imgur.com/a/gGNMtXG
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 06:02 AM by Richardragon87 »

Post changed:

Offline shiggypoo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2020, 08:27 PM »
Maybe try to find a few other systems to play on such as GameBoy Player (GameCube), AGS-101 GBA SP, or even juts a standard GBA.

There are a lot of issues with the Mini X5 PCB which seemed to be caused by weak solder joints, so it could just be a bad EverDrive, especially if you bought before July and is part of the first batch.  My first ever ED GBA X5 a few years ago had a ton of issues in the GameBoy Player for GameCube, but would only sometimes act up on a GBA SP or DS Lite (very infrequently) but a replacement worked fine in everything.  So it could be one of those things where certain conditions tip a defective EverDrive to the crashing point and your DS Lite isn't causing it for whatever reason...